Does anyone else have this type of migrain/headache?
My headaches seem to always stem from my shoulder/neck region on one side only. Usually my right but ocassionally on my left side with same exact symptoms. If I take my left hand and cross it over to my right shoulder, placing my fingers just over the back side of shoulder, my middle finger is exactly where my headache pain seems to stem from and it runs up the rest of the shoulder to low neck. Yet my MD calls my headache a MIGRAIN. I've never heard of anyone else with migrains get this pain. What do you think? MRI shows only mild protrusion of c-5,6 with no nerve damage.

Thanks for writing in.
Migraines have been associated with cervical spine issues like disc protrusion. So it is very likely that the symptoms that you have are due to migraine. Moreover the patients with migraine also complain of neck stiffness and neck pain. I would suggest you to always practice good posture while sitting and lying down making sure not to strain the neck. Also do some gentle neck exercises everyday.

Hope this helps!
Yes, my roommate (male, 51) and I both suffer from migraine syndrome and often have neck/shoulder pain that triggers the headache.  I have a couple of protruding cervical discs and have suffered two traumatic brain injuries with loss of consciousness.  I find that reducing stress - easier said than done - can help, also avoiding straining my neck/shoulders and strengthening the muscles.  
Muscle tension with very common with disk herniation.  It is very common for neck abnormalities to affect the shoulders.  Tense muscles in the neck and shoulder area can also cause headaches that are very similar to migraines.  They are called Cervicogenic Headaches.  If you feel you are not getting pain relief thru your regular physician, try seeing a pain management specialist