Migraines & Headaches Community
Double Vision

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Double Vision

First off, I would like to thank you for taking our questions. Thank you!

I went to urgent care last month with complaints of feeling generally ill with sudden cross eyed that generally last less than a minute.  They did the general blood test and found nothing and told me to follow up with my general doctor.  I went to the GP and he suggested that I see an EN&T specialist.  I still haven't been able to see this doctor as my insurance leaves me a limited choice of specialist that are booked for weeks and months ahead.  I felt a little better with less visual problems last week and thought that I was getting better but this week, while I am not feeling as ill as I did, my double vision and loss of balance has become worse happening 1 to 5 times a day.  Could these be symptoms of a silent migraine? I am quite concerned and wonder if I should chance going to the hospital with hope my insurance covers the bill.
An attack of migraine can be accompanied with neuro-deficits including visual symptoms. Whereas these symptoms tend to be reversible and do not persist, more importantly they do not occur for a very small duration like for less than a minute as seems to be in your case. And again associated headache would be expected. On the other hand, brief episode of giddiness and loss of balance can be due to a myriad causes. If associated hearing symptoms such as tinnitus are present a cause related to ear may be present. I do hope your blood pressure has been checked since uncontrolled hypertension may also be responsible for these symptoms. Would recommend further evaluation.

I would skip the ENT and see a Neurologist. Double Vision (Diplopia) and loss of balance can be attributed to circulatory problems in the brain, sometimes not serious yet bothersome, other times more significant. I have an extensive history of Migraines affecting my vision, (colors and blind spots,  called a scintillating scotoma).  I experience several episodes of Diplopia a year, and I all but fainted last year after experiencing Double Vision and profound dizziness. I went to the hospital, they did a CT Scan of my brain. I went to a Neurologist, and he said Basilar Migraine. Not satisfied with his diagnosis, I went to another Neurologist, and he did an MRI and MRA. Believing that he may have seen something, I had to have another CT with contrast. Apparently everything is fine.

The thinking is still a Basilar Migraine. This is essentially a spasm of an artery in the brain, depriving the brain of Oxygen for a short period of time in a specific area that controls balance and eye coordination.

Please schedule with a Neurologist at the earliest possible time. Tell the person that does the scheduling why you want to see the Doctor. Tell them how often your symptoms occur. I do not feel that in any way, shape, or form that an ENT is the next appropriate step for you.

Take care and write if you have further questions. I can usually be found on the Cardiac Arrhythmia Forum. If you register, you can send messages to other forum members. If you do so, you can message me there.

Best of health to you.