Migraines & Headaches Community
Ear & Head Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Ear & Head Pain

I have had a pain in my left side of my head, my ear and temple, for the past 16 months, sometimes it is mild sometimes it is painfull but the pain never goes it is always there, they are not cluster, migraine or tension headaches as I dont have the symptoms. It is like a pulling, tight, pressured pain in my ear. I have tried all sorts of medication and pain killers but nothing has worked, I have even been on Amytriptyline and epilepsy tablets? I have had blood tests, scans and xrays of my head and teeth but everything has come back clear. I dont know what else to do they are making me depressed and I dont know how I can carry on living with this pain and I have lost my social life. The pain eases a bit in the shower from the heat and all I can do when the pain is bad is sleep on my ear. Please can you help as I dont know what else to do and I am desperate. Thanks x
hi, did u consulted ENT specialist?.
Could be migraine or side effect of any of the medication you are on like the  epilepsy tablets.

Could be chronic sinusitis or just some localised ear tube problem.

Please meet up with an ENT doctor to rule out.
Could be nerve pain.  I have unexplained pain that I have had for years that was made absolutely unbearable by a nerve block and a radiofrequency.  The neurologist I am seeing believes I have myofascial pain syndrome.  I am on a couple of anti-seizure medications(Lamictal, Lyrica) and M.S. Contin.  Finally the burning is gone around my left ear and at the base of my head.  I have alot of body pain as well.
hi,
Please also get your blood pressure checked. Sometimes long term use of pain medication can lead to rebound headaches.
I have pain in front of my ear and temple.  I have sharp pains in my ear at times.  I have headaches since I got my ears cleaned out.  Here is what I found out.  First, I started clinching my teeth.  This also called TMJ.  Do you grind your teeth.  I also have allergies so I have cronic (chronic) ear fluid.  When my ear was cleaned out fluid started coming out.  The fluid didn't show until the clog was fixed.  These two items together can cause me pain which just causes me to clinch my teeth more.  I am starting physical therapy massages (not the fun ones no pain no gain.)  to see if I can loosen up my neck.  Stress causes all kinds of symptoms.  
What was the final outcome? Did you find any solutions?
I have experienced almost exactly as you described. I started about 14 months ago with pain in my left ear. Maybe two or three times per month. It has grown steadily until now is is daily and unbearable. the whole left side of my head hurts. I think about it all day every day. I have seen three doctors, including an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. The only solution that has been suggested so far is a tube in my ear. I tried that last month, but nothing has changed. I just can't live with this pain in my head.
Put Olive Oil or Sweet Oil (It's the same thing as olive oil) in your ears once a day.  My doctor recommended that treatment and it does help.