Migraines & Headaches Community
Ear aches and head aches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Ear aches and head aches

Can ear pain cause on-going headaches?  Like throbbing ones?  I have been battling with an ear ache for about a month and I notice that I get head twitches, spasms, and pain on the same side as the infected ear.
I too have had some throbbing pain.  I have had 4 colds since october. I have one even today.   Ever since then I have add this throbbing pain on the same side as my ear pain and a sharp pain towards the top of my hear.  I finally went to see my doctor last Monday.  I was concerned about a brain tumor,  he said I had a 1 in 6,000 chance of having one.  He mentioned it was probaly a old neck injury, slightly raised blood pressure and head cold combination that was causing this.  He sent me for an MRI.  Said the only reason he is sending me for one is to ease my mind not his.  He said I did not show in classic signs of a brain tumor.  Well that was friday and he should have my results in 5 days.  Best of luck.  

Thanks for writing in.
Ear pain can be accompanied with headaches. It is important to find out the cause of ear pain in your case. Ear infections, impacted wax are some of the common causes of ear pain.
Have you had an ENT exam done?
Another important cause of ear ache with headache is TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder. Do you have a habit of clenching your teeth while sleeping or do you chew gum?
If yes then it is very likely that you are suffering from TMJ. I would suggest you to consult an ENT specialist at your earliest. Take care!