Migraines & Headaches Community
Face pain with migraines?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Face pain with migraines?

Do alot of you get face pain or toothache and sore gums  with your migraines? I had a migraine the other day that started in the back of my left eye and then went to my upper and lower teeth and gums. I was just recently told I have migraines not sinus problems. Was also told I have trigeminal neuralgia. I am starting to wonder if my face pain is related to my migraines and not TN.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? The facial pain may be caused mainly by TN since migraine headaches are associated with one-sided throbbing headaches and sometimes numbing of different body parts such as the extremities and face. Medications or surgery are often done to manage TN while avoiding the migraine triggers and prescription medications help with the headaches. If it persists, check with your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
This was a steady pain in my left eye. You believe this is from my TN? I am on tegretol right now for TN. It seems to help most of the time. I am also on sumatriptan for migraines. This was the first time I experienced this constant pain right behind my left eye. Thought the pain was from migraines so I took sumatriptan . So migraines are a throbbing pain on one side?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? The usual presentation of migraine headache is indeed throbbing in character. There are some types of migraine that present with numbness also and even with the absence of  headache and presence of just aura symptoms like sensitivity to light and sound, nausea or vomiting. Was the sumatriptan effective in reducing the pain? Check with your doctor if it does not improve for proper evaluation. Take care always.
Thank you so much for responding to my questions. Take care.