Migraines & Headaches Community
Facial tingling, spasms in shoulder and neck, headache--Help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I started having neck pain back in 2000.  Then after about a year of this burning pain that radiated from my shoulders, up the back of neck, and around to my temple, I started getting this tightness in my jaw area, and my face would feel like there is a bug or hair on my cheek.  I had 2 brain MRIs done in the past 8 years, and did also have full spine done, everything is normal, except for a bulging disk at C-3,  no neck curvature, and disk protrusion is worse on left side, this is where I get the tingling mostly.  There is not a day that goes by that my neck and shoulders doesn't hurt.  The facial feelings can be aggravated by stretching my arms over my head, and neck movement.  Can muscle spasms cause this, or maybe my bulging disk?  I do get the aura sometimes when the actual headache starts.  Oh, BTW, both my parents and maternal grandfather have had migraines mostly their whole lives.  The facial stuff is present almost everyday, waxing and waning, probably because my neck and shoulders hurt everyday.  What do you think?   Thanks, Jen
with the negative test results, I wouldn't be too worried - and coming from a hypochondriac, that's pretty encouraging.  I know the symptoms can be annoying, but I've had them too, and yes, muscle spasms can cause that.  I would suggest trying a series of stretching and deep breathing - whether yoga, meditating, or my personal preference Oxycise - it really helps the stress go down and the symptoms fade if not go away completely.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How old are you?

Have you experienced any headaches prior to the neck pain?

Have you in any ways hurt or injured your neck before?

The bulging disc in C3 may contribute if not , be the cause of the neck pain and tingling sensation.Tingling sensations usually point  to a nerve related disorder.

When was your last cervical spine scan done?

keep us updated.
I am 36 years old.  I had been in 3 rear end accidents prior to this, the last accident was just 3 months before the headaches/neckaches started.  I have had neck pain since.  My c-spine MRI was in the Fall of 2006.  Brain MRIs were in the Spring of 06, and then again in the Spring of 07.  Both were done with contrast.  The brain MRI always shows sinus thickening and I end up taking an antibiotic.  I am due again in another 3 months for a brain MRI.  Should I repeat the c-spine and maybe ask them about doing it with contrast since it was never done with it before?  Thanks!!  Jen
I am sorry to hear that you are having healh problems.  I also have had years of facial numbness, head tingling, neck and upper back pain, and migraines. The best thing I have found is going to a chiropractor.  I had been to SO many doctors and had every test and medicine to stop the migraines but to no avail.  Finally I got so tired of the doctors sending me to another doctor because they couldn't figure out wht the problem was.  At first the chiropractor actually made things worse but stay with them and ow, WOW, have I seen a huge difference in the head aches, facil tingling and especially the sore neck.  Good Luck!  Cowser
Thank you so much for your reply.  Was your tingling brought on by movement also?  Do you have cervical problems?  At what level?  This facial tingling is so annoying.  Sometimes it feels like a hair tickling me and I will be trying to talk to someone and I keep touching my face, its so weird.  I tried a chiropractor for about a year, it actually made things worse.  Did you ever try trigger point injections at all?  I have had them, but heard they can also use lidocaine, mine was with b vitamins and saline.  Anyway, thank you, at least I know I'm not crazy.   Jen