Migraines & Headaches Community
Garlic and migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Garlic and migraines

Hi, I have suffered from disabling migraines for years.

When I was little I used to get a banging head ache everytime my mum made spaghetti bolognese, but she just couldnt understant why!

I have recently relised that it is the garlic in the sauce! I made my own home made garlic bread and had to go to bed halfway through my meal.  A couple of weeks later I made the garlic bread again (without having realised the connection) and the next day I woke up with a migraine and was in bed for about 6 hours with a migraine! So i am now 100% sure its the garlic.

When I think back to over the years I have realised that its not choc, cheese, red wine or coffee that give me a migraine...its that white little bulb!  Im so glad ive figured it out as now I know to completely stay clear of garlic!!

Is this the case for anyone else?
I am glad you found out about Garlic now, it took me 52 ears to make the connection.
wish you health.
Avatar dr f tn
That's great to hear! Garlic has been associated with migraine headaches for some people. However, this acts as anti-inflammatory and helps with migraine to other people. There is just not enough documented evidence available which supports this. But if it helps you prevent your migraine headaches, then avoiding this food will definitely help you prevent any recurrences. Take care and do keep us posted.