Migraines & Headaches Community
Going crazy

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Going crazy

I'm an 18-year-old girl with average health and a normal history of headaches.  Starting this morning, I have been getting really bad headaches.  Every two or three minutes I will get a sharp, stabbing jab of pain in my forehead for no reason.  It only lasts for less than a second and is always in the same place.  It has varying levels of pain, but every time is intense and just strange.  This has been going on for about 10 hours now.  I've never had these before, at least not this often, and it's really starting to scare me.  I've taken tylenol and even tried hitting my head to try and dull the pain but nothing is making them go away.  I'm a hypochondriac already so I'm freaking out that this could be a symptom of cancer or something and I just wanna know if anyone else has had this and what it is???
It could be a migraine they can behave oddly. I would consult a physician familiar with my history.
Could be caused from a number of things, some minor and some more serious.  Talk to your doctor about it.  If it continues, I would ask to see a neurologist.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Was there a previous trauma to your head? The International Headache Society classifies these headaches as "primary stabbing headaches"or "ice pick headaches". These present with  pain confined to the head, the pain is stabbing or jarring and the headaches recur erratically several times a day. This can co-exists with migraine or cluster headaches. If this persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. This can be managed with prescription medications and relaxation. Take care and do keep us posted.
There was no trauma to my head.  The only change is that I've gone on a different type of birth control, but the headaches started before that.  All in all, I'm better, I suppose.  The headaches have become less frequent and less painful.  I've even had a couple days where I haven't had them at all.  But they still haven't completely gone away, and it's driving me crazy.  My doctor told me he highly doubts it's anything serious because of my age and the symptoms, but said we would do a CT scan and an MRI if the headaches persisted.  Well, they've persisted, but I had to return to college in a different state.  My school's health center is crap so I can't go to them.  Tylenol has dulled the pain but it hasn't gotten rid of it...  I just want them to go away and it's driving me insane that I can't get rid of them.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
If the headache persisted, it is best that you have  either imaging studies done to rule out organic causes. Try to avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, etc)  and avoid regular use of over-the-counter pain medications to prevent rebound headaches. Take care always.
Do these sound like a malignant brain tumor?  Generally my own research has given me an overwhelming no, but I know the only way to know for sure is to do an imaging test.  Still, I'm hesitant.  I was having medical issues all summer.  Doctor's visits every week and surgery and imagings and phone calls and overall a lot of stress.  I'd just rather not have to pay for more testing if I don't have to.  I really am willing to get more tests done ONLY if my symptoms sound like cancer or some other serious problem could be present...