HEADACHE!!
i woke up with a headache 36 days ago.   it hurts to keep my eyes open (not the light) just feels easier to have them closed.  my scalp hurts when i brush/wash hair.  it is extremely uncomfortable when i go outside (coldness).  
the pain in my head is dull all over constantly (has not stopped for 5 weeks)  with sharp pains coming and going in one spot  middle-top right side of head. I am extremely tired and dizzy.
i have gone to ER twice,   first time-dr. didn't even examine me, said it was a virus.   2nd time -was given pain meds via  I.V.  and told to see my family doctor as there were many causes for headaches.    my family doctor says its a migraine.   He has done  Zero tests, no bloodwork.  he is basing this on what i have said.   Please help me! i cannot stand this pain another day!   my doctor gave me  topamax and  gabapentin.  may as well be candy, because its not touching this headache.
I believe that the Topomax takes about 4 weeks to work.  In the meantime, you could get some abortive pain medication that you could use in the meantime.  And if the Topomax does not work, let me know and I'll have other suggestions. Your best bet is to try to get an appointment with a neurologist who could examine you further.  You could get blood work and a urinalysis which could determine whether you might have many medical conditions, including diabetes, thyroid problems, and infections, which can cause headaches.  Go on-line and type in "migraines and diagnosis", then take it in to your doctor to get them to order the tests.  However,  I just read in Consumer Reports where doctors order way too many CT scans which give you a ton of radiation as much as equal to 400 chest xrays. Or you might get an MRI.  The CT and MRI tests only determine whether you might have something more serious like a brain tumor or multiple schlerosis, which is fairly unusual.  Or you could have spinal tap IF your migraines get a lot worse from standing up and walking around.  My spinal tap gave me the worst head pain that I've ever had during my major stroke and during my trips to the ER, vomiting on the way.  I could not lift my head off the bed for 6 days.  Had to eat and drink lying down.  Spinal taps don't necessarily cause that sort of pain, but it's not the first course of diagnosis.  I would think that it might be worth waiting to get the CT scan until you have given the Topomax a chance to work, but it's up to you and the doctor.  Would really like to hear back from you about this.  Good luck.  Bad migraines are terrible to have.