Migraines & Headaches Community
HEADACHES WHEN LAYING DOWN, SITTING IN A RECLINER?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Please give me some advice.. HELP!!!! I have headaches all day every day....... worse when laying down to sleep, or in a recliner!
When I lay down in bed prone, I begin to get a headache. It is Not the pillows, not the position. When I wake up my head is in horrible pain., bad headache. The same when I sit back in a recliner. When I get up to walk, it subsides. But does not go away.
I have been to all the test. MRI, Cat Scans, x-rays' you name it. All negative, brain scan, neg also. Chiropractors', trigger point injections, facet injections, even acupuncture, no help from the headaches/pain.
Have you heard of this type of headache? Worse when laying down ??When I get up from sleep, and get out of the bed, the pain subsides a bit, from a 10, laying down, to a 4 or 5 all day every day. Again increases when I lay down in bed at night. It is terrible existence.
Please help me out, or steer me in the right direction.
I am seeing a Neurologist right now. Do I have, Occipital Neuralgia, Giant Cell Arteritis, too much or little Brain Fluid, Cervicogenic Headaches?
Any idea what type of headache I suffer?
I am very healthy, 51 year old male, no smoke, no drink, blood pressure excellent... I am 6' 2" 185 lbs, active, normal, work full time.
I live in Palm Springs Ca.
Any advice??? I thank you very much!

Your symptoms are quite unusual and it is difficult to give a straightforward answer. Usually positional headaches are seen on standing up from lying down posture and not the other way around.
The possibility of cervicogenic headache does seem to be a possibility. Make sure your head and neck are well supported on a pillow when lying down.
Other than this it is difficult to comment further without a clinical exam. It would be great if you can find a headache specialist in your area.
Hi there, very interesting post...

I too get headaches when I am reclining... but not when I am lying down if the pillow is a proper pillow and I am NOT in a prone position (face down) ...

prone positions are TERRIBLE for headaches, both tension type and migraine... horrible trigger, terrible for the neck... it is highly suggested that you sleep on your back or on your side, but NEVER on your stomach. Most people who get sleep related headaches who are also stomach sleepers find that just switching to a side or back position find that their headaches completely resolve... this is what a massage therapist, physiotherapist and/or chiropractor will tell you as well... stomach sleeping is just really awful for the neck!! so... since you are a headache sufferer, i'm just going to throw it out there that maybe you might want to consider never sleeping in a prone position again!! this is what i suggested to my boyfriend, and his migraines have almost disapeared!! and, i stopped sleeping in a prone position too and i sleep much better now (it took a while to get used to... but, after i got used to it, i slept sooo much better!!)

Anyway, you are the first person I've talked to that has the reclining headache trigger too... so that is why I find this so interesting!! It is always nice to find other people with similar triggers!! It's always nice to feel less alone with these things. I don't know why it's a trigger though... but, yeah, reclining really does seem to trigger my headaches. Lying down flat on my back with a proper cervical pillow or sitting up straight with back and neck support does not trigger headaches for me though. So, I don't know if our triggers are actually similar of if the reclining thing is just a coincidence in our cases... but, it would be interesting to find out more about this... so I'll keep you posted if I figure anything out about the reclining thing and let me know if you figure anything out too please! Thanks!! :)

Would you mind sharing your CT/MRI results with us... like, the notes on them? They usually have notes, and sometimes these notes will say things like... maybe you have a Chiari malformation or some other abnormality that does not appear to be diagnostic at all, so it was not mentioned to you and was not included as part of the "results" section but WAS included in the summary section of the CT/MRI ? Sometimes, abnormalities like this, which aren't technically severe enough to cause problems in the general population so they are not considered diagnostic... can cause symptoms in SOME people... so it would be interesting to see if anything like this is mentioned in the summery section of your CT/MRI?

Also, one thing you did not mention was blood pressure, do you know what your blood pressure is? Have you had your blood pressure tested both while lying down and then after sitting up and then after standing up? I would suggest having this done if you have not had this done... headaches related to lying down/getting up can sometimes have to do with blood pressure.  

Also, what type of headache has this been diagnosed as by your physicians? Migraine or tension type? There are daily medications you can take if you get more than 15+ headache days a month for more than 3 months in a row. These medications are divided into three categories: anti-depressants, anti-seizure medications and beta-blockers. All of these medications seem to help with chronic headaches as well as the things that they were originally created for. You might want to talk to your doctor about trying one type of these medications if you get more than 15+ migraine days a month.

In the meantime, if you would like to try treating yourself with a preventative therapy, you can take 400mg of B2 a day (if you have been diagnosed with migraine-type headaches) and 400mg of magnesium per day (if you have been diagnosed with migraine-type OR tension type headaches). You can take both of these at the same time if you like, or you can try one first for a month to see if it helps if you don't feel like having to take lots of tablets at once. It must be at the dosages I have suggested, as these are what have shown to be effective in the clinical trials. In fact, 400mg of B2 a day has shown similar results to many of the anti-seizure medications also used as daily preventative medications for migraines. Make sure to drink lots of water if you start taking this much vitamins though, you don't want to get an upset stomach!

Hope that helps. :) Let us know how things go.
Oops... you did mention blood pressure, sorry! I some how missed that the first time that I read your post. Hmm, still, have you had it tested while you were lying down and then tested right after you got up to see if there was a difference? The only reason why I ask is that sometimes people's blood pressure can change dramatically depending on their position and a severe drop in blood pressure due to positional reasons can cause serious headaches. So... if you haven't had this test done, even if your blood pressure is usually perfect, might consider it... just since your headaches are a positional thing.

But, that's good that your blood pressure is excellent!! I am half your age and my blood pressure isn't in excellent condition at all... I'm jealous!! ;)
I just googled "Laying down gives me headaches" and I found this post. I too been through many test and nothing has been found. It has affected my entire life. I used to be a practicing architrect but my condition worsened and now Im self employed doing something other than architecture. I never thought there would be others with the same conditions. For a while I thought I was the only person to sufer from this.  Its good to know Im not the only person with this condition, but its also sad to know others suffer from it. Anyway, I just stoped by to say your not alone in this. There are others with the same condition. Thanks, and I hope you feel better.
My headaches are a relative new onset - 2-3 moths ago. I have them on the top of the head on one side. I go to bed at night ok but wake up with due to HA a few hours later and I also starting having nausea with them. I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow and someone suggested gallblader (gallbladder) can give severe HA. My MRI of the brain done 2 months ago showed some nodules in the lateral ventricle and the MD will probably do another one to compare. I will have also an abdominal US to check the function of the gallblader (gallbladder). I am female, 42, never had HAs before.
Is the headache mainly in your forehead? Could it be sinuses. Because I have a sinus infection, and when I lay down I feel like somebody's taking a hammer to my head.. mainly my forehead.
I too have this problem with sitting in a recliner, and that I believe is from my head being pushed slightly forward from the head of the chair.  

I also often wake up with headaches, but those are from the fact that clench my jaw a lot due to problem with my bite.  If you haven't considered this, you may want to.  Even if you don't think you have a bite problem, you should have it checked out at your dentist.  A nightguard can do wonders for this problem, or so I hear.  I have yet to take that step yet.
Have you looked into Intracranial Hypertension?  I have been diagnosed with this and its basically too much cerebral spinal fluid around your brain.  Google and you will get all the information you need.  I mention this because typically with this condition headaches get worse when laying down and subside when standing.  It requires a spinal tap to diagnose.  
Hope this helps.
Angie
I was recently in a car accident with a tractor trailer truck. I go to Pysical therapy 3 days a week to help get my muscles loose in my neck, right arm, hip and leg. When I lay on my back flat with a pillow under my head, I feel like I'm upside down and all my blood is rushing to my head and it just pounds... I have asked my Dr and my therapist, but alls I can get them to say is that they aren't sure b/c my ct scans came back ok, but won't send me for an MRI, I'm really worried about it, seems my dad suffers from chronic brain tumors and I was trapped in a car for an 1 hour until I was cut out and taken to the hospital. Any suggestions? please help
i to have bad headaches when i lay down. they seem to get better when i stand up or sit up. very painful they go from the back of my neck to my right eye. the only thing that helps is excedrin migraine but that bothers my hyadle hernia. haven't had any test .would love some help. i did fall down the stairs about 2 years ago maybe something to do with it
By way of a differential opinion, pressure on the spinal column may contribute pressure within the subarachnoid space where the cerebrospinal fluid is contained.  If you think about this, the fluid could be more compressed in a reclined position as body weight presses towards the spinal column.  When lying down the pressure could resolve.  Hope this thought helps.  
I have the same problem with headaches lying down. At the top of my head hurt when lying down, especially if I go to sleep late. I was eating a lot of soy products. Soy will make the brain swell somewhat. I have since stop eating and not as much pain, but it still come and go. Having a MRA and MRI next week. The first one was read as normally by two Neurologist. Pain never went away. I decided to go back to a really good Neurologist my primary doctor recommended and he said it was not normally but want to compare. I will have it done to compare the two. He would comment on what he saw on the pictures until the next round. Oh Boy!
I suffer from migraines but these are very regular and predictable - just a couple days before my period.  They always feel the same and always respond to treatment (imitrex injection) the same.

THIS is different.  It started last week and I haven't slept well since.  Anytime I lay down I get a sick intense headache.  It's not lack of caffeine (you know, if you are a regular caffeine drinker and then quit cold turkey), it's not lack of sleep (though the past couple of days I am dragging a lot), it's not anything I can think of.  It really, really hurts.  I spend all night on the sofa (so I don't disturb my husband and kids) tossing, turning and crying.  I cannot sleep ... when I do get comfortable sitting up and doze off I slide down and then wake up a short time later with intense pain.

I need to figure this out.  I'm tired, I'm crabby and I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown if I can't lay down and get some real sleep.
I used to have the same headaches after a car wreck in which I did not hit my head on anything. Turned out to be "Suture headaches". The plates in my skull had shifted causing the headaches. My Chiropractor did a simple test to figure this out and gave me Cranial Adjustmenst. I had three of those adjustments and the headaches are gone. Good Luck!
I too have the same problem.When I lay down I get very ill and get very horrible headaches,I don't want to scare you and I am NOT a doctor so do not take this as any medical advice ,but I have CHiari Malformation Type 1.It took a long time to figure it out because not many doctors are informed enough when it comes to this issue,I would advise getting in with a Neurologist and getting an MRI of the Brain and Cervical Spine as soon as possible.I also suffer from dizziness and swallowing problems,gait issues(walking) I seem very clumsy,and I have sleep apnia (apnea).I always seem to have a stiff neck and shoulder pains,in the later illness of Chiari you will become weak in your limbs and have trouble holding your head up because it will fill with intracranial pressure with makes you feel like your going deaf sometimes and your ear are always clogged or you have sinusitis.I hope this helps a little,Like said I am NOT a doctor and you should certainly be seen by one before jumping to any conclusions about your health,this is not a normal bodily function though and should not be taken lightly.It could just be an issue with your inner ear and in which case and ear nose and throat doctor would be best,to be safe by pass and go for the MRI this will rule out anything else.
I too have major headaches when I lay down and reclining. I have them all day, but they are worse when laying down or reclining.The pain is so bad at night that it wakes me up through out the night.
Have been on all the migraine medicines, only one that seems to work is methergine, which I am taking now with some releif but not total.
Would really like to know what is causing this headache!
Have had all the tests possiable. MRI, MRA, Catscans, Spinal taps,blood work, blood pressure is fine actually great. Light and sound does not bother me like my wife when she gets a migraine. Have had this since 12/25/2009, started at12:00pm that day.
My nuerologist has done everything he can think of and he is a very good doctor.
I am sorry for all the people who have posted here, but it is comforting knowing that I am not the only one with this daily problem.
On 10/7/2011 I went to the hospital with numbness on my whole left side.All test came back neg. No stroke no heart problems.
I am 50 years old, 5'8", 205lbs. Yes I do smoke but have gone from 1 1/2 packs to abut a 1/4 pack a day. Very minor alcohol. Fairly healthy and walk quite a bit at work and at home. Have had spinal injections that help alittle. If there is a test to be run I have had it done. Any comments or thoughts would be great!
I  have very similar symtoms (symptoms) and have been to many doctors. Maybe can save you some time and money by telling you this is called occipitial headache which in my case is caused by old neck injuries. I have been to a pain management doc that gave me a lidocane/ steroid injection that gave me relief for several weeks maybe your results will be more permanent. An orthopedic friend said he just read there is a new therapy to chemically block the occipital nerve under a microscope, it is only a sensory nerve and is not of any other use. The electric block did not work on me. Good luck.
I do too, have this kind of headache. My head hurts on my forehead and on the top of my head all day. But it hurts really bad when I lay down. It hurts in my face, my forehead, even my nose. I have recurring sinus infections, every 3 months if I am lucky, but otherwise, almost every other month. I have been on numerous antibiotics, but it always comes back. Now, I am almost sure there is another infection in my maxillary sinuses, that is where I always get it, so, I wonder if the sinus infection is causing these headaches when I lay down. I am referred to another CT scan and hope to have it really soon. I also had some xrays for the sinuses and it showed that the sella turcica was enlarged and they did not rule out a mass, but my doctor said it was nothing. Could there be more related to the sell turcica that is causing the sinus infections, and therefore, the headaches?
After years of crippline migraines, I was fortunate enough to have Diamond Headache Clinic work with me YEARS ago.   The single most important thing they taught/told me was this: KEEP A JOURNAL; every day, every action...and you will see the pattern of what is 'causing' them.  In my case (and yes, reclining, laying down made it worse ) I found I had food allergies which manifest in the migraines;  DON"T eat it, no migraine!   And, since most of mine 'heavy, bad' eating occurred in the evening, it was logical that, as soon as I sat /laid back it would take hold.   KEEP THAT JOURNAL.  
2nd thing they taught me:  biofeedback; and now, within 10-15 min on OTC med, I can 'push back nearly any one of them.    
Good luck...but KEEP THAT JOURNAL.  YOU will see YOUR truth!  
I dont know if you've found an answer to your head and neck pounding issues yet, but I just wanted to share with you my experience. I have had the exact same problem. My head & neck pound when lying down or sitting in a recliner. I have suffered from migraines and tension headache for ten years, but the head pounding issue is new. Last night I took a decongestant before going to bed & I massaged my jaw muscles. I don't clench but they felt tight. When I woke up, I did not experience any head pounding for the first time in a long while. I don't know which one helped, but I'm going to try each one on its own to find out. Good luck. Hope this works for you.
I too get these sort of headaches. The pain is indescribable, it has ruined half my life, and continues to effect everything I do. I have a pinched nerve in between the fourth and fifth vertebra. I've been told by a neurologist that a surgery would be"50/50" as too the success rate. I sleep with two pillows, the one on bottom is pulled out 6 inches closer to me than the one on top. I lie on my left side with my head on top of the top pillow without my neck touching anything...hence the setting of the pillows... I sleep on couch or against wall so I can't roll over. If I do rollover, I will 100 percent of the time wake up with very very intense headache. Normal people have never experienced this type of pain. Anyone who as had these headaches would agree with me! I hope this gives you ideas as to how something as small as pillow positioning can help. I have dne many, many different experimenting on how to get sleep. I am 32 now and have had this since I was 12 or 13. Good luck to anyone who should happen to read this. It can get better.
I had this same headache during and after my last c-section. I was later diagnosed with celiac disease and after going off of gluten completely they stopped and never returned.  Worth a try.  It really is a terrible thing to deal with.
i have had these headaches for months now, but i also wake up in the middle of the night with strange vivid dreams and usually my face and head feel numb and tingley and hard to pull myself out of it. also my vision at those times is all over the place like a kaladiscope not an aura because i have that type of migrain as well. does any one have these symptoms?
Have you found anything that has helped with these headaches?  My husband has had a constant chronic burning headache and neck pain for 2 years now following a back surgery.  We have been to over 30 doctors and no one knows why.  It is always the worst when he lays down, but it never leaves even when standing.  The pain goes down a bit when he is upright.  Please let me know if you have any ideas.
I am also having the same symptoms as you. I am having a MRI tomorrow to see what is going on. I also have ear pain and the doctor says I have nothing wrong with my ear. I am thinking now the pain is behind my ear and it just makes it feel like my ear is hurting.  I am anxious to see what is going on. I am a 53 year old basically healthy woman until this started bothering me.
I'm researching "headache while laying down" for a friend.  She describes her headaches as the brain freeze type.  They happen while laying down if she stays in the same position for more than 5 minutes or so.  If she keeps changing her position, then she doesn't have the headache.  The pain is on top and toward the back of her head.  She also gets goose bumps all over her head at the same time.  I'd appreciate any comments.
Mike
Did your headache resolve? Do you mind sharing your experience? My wife suffers exactly the same type of headache as you described... Anything would be greatly appreciated it...we are desperate.

Dan
Hello Dan,

I have been through all the tests you can have run with no results. They say nothing is wrong, but yet I still get the headaches not as bad now since I swithed to a different neurologist and she put me on Colazapne. This has helped and no side affects like the migraine medicine caused.
Wish I could give you more info just not there yet.
I am 18 yrs. old and have had migrane (migraine) headaches since I was very very young. I have poor sinuses. I have chronic allergies, a severe allergy to tree nuts, and a few allergies to medications. I have severe migraines and asthma. I also have a scotoma in my brain which is were the blood vessels to my optic and oculomotor channels are bejng constricted by overactive, heavy blood flow. I also, have this problem too with laying down be it supine or prone. If I lay down for too long once I wake up in the morning, my migrane (migraine) feels like a 15 on the 1-10 scale. I recently changed over to the big girl neurologist who actually took my migraines and my scotoma seriously. He told me to take baby aspirin every other night to thin the blood flow to my brain. Not only does that help with the scotoma but it is supposed to help with migraines as well. My migraines are just very strong. You can try the baby aspirin, it might help any of you. Also, he put me on a special diet. I have to avoid; chocolate, peanut butter, pop, coffee, caffinated teas,MSG, aspartame (artificial sweeteners), fish, pizza, foods with nitrates (such as pepperoni, salami, etc.), ranch dressing, chicken noodle soup, ripened cheeses, shredded cheeses, and chicken liver. I am supposed to limit; sour cream, citrus, foods on the avoid list, other cheeses, and some other things that I honestly can't remember at the moment. BUT, you can also  try this diet, if you can keep up with it. It is a hard diet to follow. I have been on it for a month now and I am not seeing a MAJOR improvement in my headaches but I am seeing some. It is a long process.

I have no answer for the headaches when laying down because I came here looking for the answer myself. All I know is that I am not bashing on anyone's logic here but if you sleep a certain way and you are comfortable, don't change it. My neurologist said that right up front. Plus, i tried to change when i thought it might benefit me to sleep on my back... no cigar... it made my pain increase ten fold. My sister's physical therapist said it is actually okay to sleep on your stomach. Why else would they sell thinner pillows for it??? Hahaha (:

Sorry I wasn't much help and I know that diet ***** but if you can stick to it, I hope it works. If anyone wants to start it and has questions, my email is ***@****
Suddenly I woke up one day to the most intense pain in my life.  My neck felt like triangular pieces of glass were coming out.  The back of my head was exploding.  MRI showed a tiny arthritis.  Gabapentin relieving some pain.  Seeing Neurologist on Thursday.  

Sleeping causes pain.  I sleep on my left side and wake up crying.  Walking and standing gives great relief.

The irony is my husband is in pain management and never had anyone say waking is a 20 on the pain scale but walking is a 5.  I need answers.  Another MRI for brain on Monday.  
I sympathize with everyone that has the headache while laying down. I am a 72 year  old retired plumber in excellent health, but these headaches are taking their toll on me. I have fought them since my late 20's. I too have been thru all the tests, to no avail. I do know that taking Excedrin Migrane (migraine) for an extended period will hurt your liver etc.
I wake up in the middle of the night with this monster headache, make a pot of coffee and after I have a couple of cups it usually subsides to an acceptable level.
I have found Sumitriptan nasal injections to work for the really stubborn headaches. I try to do without it thinking it may cause other problems.
I have had very little success with journaling mainly because the physicians
Seem too disinterested to survey the results.
I keep praying for a miracle!

I too have this problem, head and neck pounds when I lay down.  Any pressure on the back of my head causes this.  I suffer from migraines and allergies too.  I have three disks in my neck that are messed up and have had two epidural steriod injections.  My neck muscles are looser after the shots, but my head keeps pounding.  My MRI is normal.  Getting no sleep is driving me nuts.  I am going to a pain management doctor now, no meds because of liver issues.  I think he's stumped too.
I have suffered for 21 years with migraines & spasmodic tortiollis.  Another name for spasmodic torticollis is dystonia.  It affects 3 out of every 10,000 people.  How I know I have it is that my neck tilts to an irregular position and I have both excurciating head and neck pain.  99% of the neurologists in my city don't have a  clue what dystonia is, therefore instead of looking stupid they masquerade as if they are an authority on the subject and do absolutely nothing for me.
There are 3 ways of getting it, genetically, through a trauma, or poisoning.
After 30+ years of being out of the military, I learned the truth.  Camp Lejeune was highly contaminated with toxic poisons in their drinking water.  
If any one of you were in Camp Lejeune prior to 1987, please view the website:  www.tftptf.com (The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten).  They can tell you exactly what was in your drinking water.  I have been pursuing VA disability since August of 2011 and they project that my claim will be completed by March 2014.....they keep prolonging the date.
If anyone on this website was at Camp Lejeune prior to 87 you are welcome to contact me as I do have resources of you are have issues with your neurologists.  My email is:  ***@****
God bless you all!
I also suffer from worsening headaches while lying down and resting my back against a chair/sofa/any surface. Getting up and walking lessens the pain from a 5 to a 3 (out of 10), but there are times when I wake up with 6/7 migraine. During the day I'm usually a 4/5. In my situation this all happened following an impromptu skeletal and muscle adjustment by an osteopath.  After the adjustment, the pain started in the back and moved its way up the neck and then to the head, resulting in a 7/8 headache. I've been doing physical therapy, focusing on the tension and spasm part, and messaging/stretching the neck area under the skull. I am also taking Flexeril (muscle relaxant) and Naproxen Sodium. I have also tried acupuncture. So far the the Flexeril helps in sleeping at night but not for the pain itself (it helps to knock me out). The Naproxen and acupuncture have no effect. Both have helped me in the past but with this, nothing. In two weeks I will have an MRI. I will keep everyone posted but wanted to also tell my story in case it provides any insight for someone else.
My 23 yr-old daughter has terrible migraines that sends her to the ER almost fainting with pain.  A head MRI showed she has a asymmetrical anterior artery.....that was the only abnormality it showed.  Is there a connection?
i also have these similar symptoms where i get throbbing pain at the sides of my forehead and sometimes the back of my head immediately after changing my position to lie in the prone position.. ive never do anything in that position for few years now..i never seen a physician for these problem because i still can functions well.. but i starting to feel annoyed with it coz im still very young, im 21, female, no significant health issues.. just once general anaesthesia for my tonsilectomy 10 years ago..
Sounds to me like you need to research CLUSTER HEADACHES. They usually occur at night or during sleep, can also wake you from sleep, get worse when laying down (Symptoms kind of "dull" when you sit, a little better when standing, but still terrible all around). Generally they occur in the front of the head, especially behind one eye (usually the pain "transitions" from eye to eye, feeling like a "hot poker" or similar type of pain in, on, or around the eye, or in the nose and forehead). Unlike migraines, they do not have particularly notable "triggers", they can occur instantly, sometimes lingering for hours, and sometimes only lasting minutes. Cluster headaches are the worst, and also the rarest headaches experienced, only affecting about 1% of the population. They are more common in men than women, in fact, 90% of people that get them are men. Women who get them describe them as being worse than childbirth. Symptoms vary from person to person, can be random, or, more often, on a "schedule", at the same time each month, year etc. They also can go into remission for long periods of time, sometimes years, or occur daily without warning. Symptoms begin to appear in adults ranging from age 20 to 40. They tend to get worse as you get older. There are no known causes, but many doctors believe they are caused by sinus pressure or blockage. I too, suffer from cluster headaches. You are truly cursed if you have them, they are an awful thing to live with. Truth be told, there is not much you can do to get instant relief, but you can try some less traditional remedies. First, you will NOT get relief from narcotics, Tylenol, or NSAIDS. They just don't seem to touch the pain... I get the best relief from triptans (Imitrex) and, if I don't have any of my Imitrex, Benadryl, diphenhydramine, phenylephrine, or other such sinus de-cloggers/histamine blockers. These type of headaches are considered a Chronic pain condition, and should be managed by a pain management doctor or neurologist. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you get at least some relief from my post! Take care!
Sorry about the duplicate post... Internet Problems...
Ive been having the same problems and unfortunately no insurance to have allthe teating performed. This time the migraine has lasted 4 whole days and at the piint that i cannot lay down without the throbbing and pulsing increasing to intolerable levels. Did you learn anymore about your type of migraine?
I have been experiencing the same kind of pain in my head.  When I am lying down I get the pain on the top of my head.  It feel as if my head is thrust against a wall, a kind of pressure, when i raised my head the pain eases in seconds.  During the day the pain is not always there and if it is it is very dull and mild but feels as if weight is on my head.  I do suffer from blocked and stuffy nose, sneezing.  I was treated for vertigo and ear infection.  I suffer from low blood pressure always 100/60 or sometimes less.  My neck feels tight, i do exercise everyday - walking on the threadmill for 40-45 minutes.  Any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.
I too googled headaches when laying down and encountered this group.  Mine started about 5 years ago but was not consistent.  I noticed back then that when I reclined, my head would start hurting and it would feel much like a high pressure sinus headache.  The minute I sat up it would go away.  It was accompanied by some neck stiffness, tightness in chest, and my heart rate would change.  Lying on back, side, or stomach was no prob.  Again, it would only happen now and then with no obvious triggers.

But 1 month ago I had laproscopic surgery and all that's changed.  Since then  I can't lay down in any position or recline without getting that awful headache.  It's again accompanied by changes in heart rate, except this time my pulse drops but my bp stays normal to slightly elevated.  And i get nauseous, sometimes to the point of vomiting. Again, it goes away after I sit straight or stand.  My doc thinks I have syncopy/bradycardia and is scheduling me for a tilt table test to confirm.  It will be nice to finally know.  Good luck to y'all.

I too have had a long history of migraine headaches...I'm now 62.  I've tried to live with them and keep going but the older I get the less tolerance I have.  My headaches have changed over the past 15 years and they are worsened by reclining or lying down......now worse in frequency.  I know about occipital headaches and assumed that's what I have along with what the MDs call chronic headaches......also labeled me with rebound headaches from taking meds too frequently.  I wake up nearly every day of my life with a headache.  Over the past couple of years my heart rate has increased and I can usually count my pulse by counting the throbbing in my head.  I stopped any OTC meds and prescribed meds as the docs were convinced I was causing this myself from medication overuse.  It's bad enough to deal with a headache every day of your life but to then feel the guilt of having caused them.....well it's very stressful as you all may know.  I have been to many neurologists and most of them give up on you when nothing works. I am very active for a grandmother and not overweight, don't smoke and only drink on holidays....so why does this chronic condition never get better.......dealing with migraines since my teens and now this occipital type.  One clinician thinks stress is the major component and if "I just took better care of myself I could control these headaches.  Well life doesn't always allow a person to sip chai tea and meditate....so what can I do? Is there an answer or at least a place where a person can go for help? It's hard to find help since so many people just don't get what it's like having a headache all the time.  I sincerely wish all of you luck and good health.
Does anyone have TMJ pain as well? I have co stand headaches and TMJ pain 42/7 and I can't lay down to sleep so I sleep in a recliner. However even leaning back in the recliner puts pressure on my head and upper back worsening my pain. I also have burning pain in my face, nose, teeth, tongue. It's been getting worse since age 30. I'm 46 now. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2009 and ehlers danlos Syndrome (-hypermobility type) a month ago. Trying topamax now. Seems to help with sleep a bit but not with headaches so far. Still increasing the dose though. I'm at 100mg now and going up to 150mg over the next two weeks.

Good luck everyone :)
I too have this, except I will already have the headache and then when I lay down it gets worse.  You are not alone.  This could be something as simple as tension headaches, which you can have all day.  That's what I think I have.  Read this post and good luck!   http://www.*************.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-problems-2402-108.html?ic=506048
I too was at Camp Lejeune from 83 to 85 when we all got transferred to supt. battalion from 1/8. I have had these headaches for years and could never figure out why. Had a headtrama when I was in the corp but, no one could explain. I just could not understand why I can't even sit in a recliner and rest my head back without getting the pressure ,pain and headaches. Never have gotten an answer. Just that u have migraines. I hope your still around on the website and can share some info on the water issue at Camp Lejeune.I put in for the claim but, have not heard anything back.
And to Zoso's post on March 27, 2009. When I read your post I actually thought you were writing about me. Whenever I tell "one" of my many Dr's. That my headaches always seem to start in the evening as soon as I sit in my recliner to relax and watch tv, boom here comes the headache! It's insane. They just look at me like...huh, I've never heard of that before and I can assure you that sitting in your recliner has NOTHING to do with your headaches. Let's try giving you some Nortriptilyne for those tension headaches and see how that works! I live in Arizona, that medication makes you so dry you can't talk and have to suck on lozenges all day it's insane, and if you don't mind being constipated all the time then be my guest!
So after that discussion not going very well I went on to tell him I couldn't get enough sleep at night because my head felt like it was going to explode! Worse toward the morning hours. His suggestion was to find a new pillow that sleeping shouldn't have anything to do with making my headaches worse. On the contrary, if you have a headache you should go lay down!!! Haven't we all heard that before?! I'm not a morning person, never have been but the only relief is to get out of bed. Problem is I'm back in bed before long for a nap trying to catch up. It is never ending, a very vicious cycle.  I'm only 59 and started migraines when I was a teen with just PMS migraines for 3 days a month. 20 years ago they increased a lot. Menopause came and everyone said I'd be rid of them well that's come and gone and didn't happen. 10 years ago the migraines came every day!!!! 5 years ago these so called "tension/sinus" headaches came on with a vengeance every single day and still have the migraines. Dr. Says that's rare, people don't usually get both. But then again DR's DON'T READ WHAT WE ARE WRITING HERE AND ARE NOT LISTENING TO US!!!!! Otherwise they would see a pattern amongst us, we're not all making up the same symptoms but yet they've never heard of them before?
I do have a trashed neck do to arthritis and have a lot of muscle spasms a tightness in my neck and shoulders. Know this is the ONLY thing to me that makes sense for these recliner and laying down headaches. So, with all that being said and having tried everything else I can think of.... I am going to try and find a way to relieve my muscle tightness in my HEAD NECK and SHOULDERS, and be diligent about it. Good luck to all of you who suffer with me, we will get through this with God's help.