Migraines & Headaches Community
Head/Neck/Eye Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Head/Neck/Eye Pain

3 months ago it started with chronic headaches. I have consulted a MD and he prescribed some pain killers. After one week I went back to see the Dr. as the pain did not reduce and then he prescribed some antibiotics with some pain killers and also asked me to do CT Scan for brain and Sinus. The CT Scan for brain was normal and the Sinus was "minimal Bilateral maxillary mucosal thickening". My Dr. thought that I was having the headaches due to sinus and prescribed me more antibiotics, de-congestions and pain killers. I have used those medications for almost one month. After one month the headache came from 10 to 4 but my eyes and neck started hurting badly.  I checked up my eyes with the eye doctor and he said eyes are OK.

Currently for the past 3 weeks I still have the headache (Probably on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it 4), I still have the neck pain (Probably on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it 4), eye pressure (Probably on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it 4) and also started to have the DIZZINESS (Probably on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it 5).

Last week I consulted a Neurologist and he thinks this could be Migraine and prescribed me a steroid and TOPAMAX but this is not really helping me out.

(I have all the above said symptoms 24/7)

Any suggestions....
What are my options...?
Any other Dr's I should consult...
Please help...

If you don't mind, could you answer a few questions first?:
Have you had any whiplash type injuries to the neck?
Is your pain limited to one side of your head?
How would you describe the head pain (sharp, dull, constant, throbbing, cutting, electric shock, etc.)?

These questions are to help determine whether your symptoms are due to a condition known as 'cervicogenic headache' - which is a headache, often combined with dizziness, eye pain, and other discomfort, as a result of trauma to nerves in the neck.  Such 'headaches' often develop months or years after trauma, typically persist 24/7, and do not respond well to migraine medications or commonly prescribed pain pills.

Please provide the answers to the above questions, and I'll see if I might be of some help. I am not a doctor, and this is not intended to serve as professional medical advice; rather, I have nearly 30 years of personal experience living with cervicogenic headache.
I was wondering if you could help me in explaining my headaches.  When you ask MD -not sure is what they say.
I have DDD a fusion C4-C5 & C5-C6  6 yrs ago.  C6- C7 flatten digging into cord.
I get migraines..  BUT, these headaches I get at night when I'm sleeping I wake up with my eyes burning- and my head hurting sometimes feels heavy, feels like it is being squeezed.

wnc
First of all I just wanted to thank you very much for your time and reply.

To answer your questions
Have you had any whiplash type injuries to the neck? =====>>>>NO
Is your pain limited to one side of your head? =====>>>> NO (ITS BOTH SIDES)
How would you describe the head pain? ====>>>>CONSTANT

(FYI: I'm 33 years old)

Please let me know if you need more information and once again thank you.
Your headaches do not seem to be of neurological origin, which leaves stress, posture, eye strain, tension, diet, allergies, and a slew of other possible causes. I wish I could have been of more help, but at this time a headache clinic may be the next best step.

Best of luck!
i have headaches neck shoulder arm  pain ear pain  eye pain primarily on right side.cervical has mild disk bulge at  c56.what could cause ear and eye pain.i see a neurologist soon.i was also rearended in auto accident.thats when everything started.
I have been suffering with cervicogenic migraines now for 8 years.  Mine all started about 3 months after my third rearend collision. I get ear, teeth, temple/jaw, neck and shoulder pain.  When my neck is really acting up I can actually press on a spot on my neck and my face will tingle, weird huh?  I do have a bulging disk at c-3, so I don't know if this is the cause or not.  Sometimes I get a weird burning pain through my forehead when I move a certain way, it only lasts for seconds though, thank God!!  I have had a ton of bloodwork, 3 brain MRIs, c-spine, thoracic, and lumbar MRI, all normal except the disk issue in my neck.  Oh also, no spine curvature in my neck also.   Its not fun, I take Motrin 800 mg, when the pain strikes, it helps some, but the thing the helps the most is for someone to rub capcasin creme on my neck and shoulders,  make sure you don't get this on your hands and then rub your eyes, you will be in double pain.  Use latex gloves.  Hope you get some answers soon.  Jen
Avatar_dr_f_tn

May I know if the onset of your headaches three months ago was abrubt? Or where there any associated trauma or injury to your neck or head? Since infections may cause headaches and eye pains ,have you experienced any fever or eye redness? Any neck stiffness and vomiting in the past three months or before that?

I also suggest that you seek consult with an allergologist just to rule out any allergic cause for your nasal congestion.Also read on rebound congestion which may be caused by extended use of decongestants ( usually > 3 days).

Keep me updated!
See if yo notice an increase when it rains.  Chem Trails are pouring aluminum and barium out in our skies and when it rains...I get eye, neck and head pain. Migraine like with occasional vomiting. I recommend a heavy dose of magnesium and hyssop tea with raw honey. And stay out of the rain and misty weather.....I used to love the rain, now I hate it due to them spraying that garbage everywhere and making us sick. Checkout the increase in emergency room visits on days it rains now and research chem trails.