Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache, mild vertigo, grogginess for weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

For about 8 weeks now, I have been having frontal headaches will some visual disturbances, mild vertigo (feeling like I just got off a boat), eye socket tenderness, and one pupil that recently seems to constantly be adjusting its size even when there is no change in light. I also sometimes feel groggy or spaced out.

My doctor initally had me treat this like a sinus infection, but it doesn't seem to respond to Claritin, Claritin-D, or Sudafed. Then I was sent to an ENT. The ENT ordered an MRI. MRI showed no evidence of tumor, bleeding, MS, or inner ear problems. I also went to my optometrist and he didn't see much change in prescription but did say that he saw an opacity (tiny cataract) on one eye, and its the eye whose pupil looks likes its adjusting a lot.

I had this pretty steadily for 4 weeks, then tapered for a week, then it was gone for a week. I was so relieved. Then I had a migraine and the feeling returned 24 hours later. I do have a history of migraines, and sometimes this feels like I am on the verge of a migraine with this condition. I have tried Mazalt and Relpax and neither really help this current condition.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a 36 yo female.
  • tmj headache (3 replies):
    can pain killers like paracetemol reduce the painful sym...[more]
  • Please help (1 replies):
    I have been having problems with my right eye for about ...[more]
  • temple nerve pain (2 replies):
    i have pain in the nerves right above my jaw at the temp...[more]
  • tmj (1 replies):
    i all of a sudden have these awful headaches and my jaw ...[more]
  • tmj and migraines (5 replies):
    i was recently diagnosed w/tmj (just when my insurance r...[more]

Since possibilities like sinusitis, stroke, neurological lesion have been ruled out, migraine appears to be the most likely cause.
Triptans like Maxalt and Relpax do not seem to be working in your case, so it is very likely that you need other migraine meds like Topamax, beta blockers etc.
I would also suggest you to maintain a diary to identify the trigger for these symptoms and take magnesium supplements.
Hope this helps!
I have been feeling the same way.  i have been diagnosed with TMJ (TMJD) but the symptoms I'm having now are much more than the typical migraine and body aches.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? TMJ headaches are muscle-contraction type of pain, sometimes accompanied by a painful "clicking" sound on opening the jaw. It can be due to malocclusion  or poor bite, stress, and jaw clenching. It is best that you have this checked for proper management. Relaxation, biofeedback, use of bite plate and even correction of malocclusion  may help. Additional diagnostic tests may also be done to help determine the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have similar symptoms and also suffer from migraines. I have been diagnosed by neurologist with Occipital neuralgia...have had numerous MRI with clean scans, also thought it was TMJ related and those doctors wanted me to look into the cause of the headache because surgery with them would have been the next step and none of us thought the TMJ was  causing the horrible headaches. My headaches are usually right sided; my ear would often hurt like an ear infection pain, my eye socket would hurt, pain in my temple like I wanted to jab it with a sharp object, my eye on that side felt like it was moving on its own, like I had no control over it and sometimes my teeth would ache. I ether have those type of headaches or these mild groggy ones, with some pain but just feel out of it and loopy. I try to only take my migraine rx when I really need to. And they are very inconsistent, kept track for the last 3 months 10/13: 26 episodes; 11/13: 6 and 12/13: 10 episodes.