Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache, neck pain, memory problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache, neck pain, memory problems

I think this is the right topic.I am a 17 year old male and about one year and six months ago a rope was wrapped around my neck, just as my vision started to blur it was unwrapped,a few seconds later I experinced a pretty painful headache for about 10 seconds. Since then I have had only two other headaches of comparable intensity, one a week, and the other a year after the first. For about a  year after the first headache, my headaches were infrequent and fairly mild. Six months ago I had a pleuredicis for pneumothorax, and since that surgery my headaches have increased in intensity and frequency, the increases seeming to be associated with two episodes of pretty severe heart pain, which leads me to think that perhaps debris from a PFO could be a possible factor in the pain increases. I have also had memory problems. I had full-day neuropsychological testing and my memory and processing speed were 30 points below my average IQ. I also had an MRI, which showed no abnormalities. The headaches, as I mentioned before were initially fairly mild, with only the right (occipital?) area of my head affected, as they have worsened I can feel the pain down the right side of my neck, extending down my cartoid? artery and in my ear. My eye twitces as well and sometimes my vision seems to blur in my right eye, but when I close my left eye, I can still see. I wonder if vascular deformation might be the cause of all this? I would love an answer as this predicament, especially the memory problem, has been devastating.
As an addendum I also wanted to mention that since the surgery I get motion sickness and felt very nauseous around the time of my second intense headache about a week after the surgery. I still get motion sickness

How are you?
Your symptoms seem to indicate that you are suffering from migraine headaches. One sided headaches with blurry vision, nausea and pain in the neck are all the symptoms of migraine.
Migraine is a vascular headache.
Memory issues could be related to your anxiety and sleep deprivation. I would suggest you to discuss this possibility with your neurologist as you may need to take medications to prevent these headaches.
Take care!