Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache, tender back of head, heavy eyes

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I started getting some new type of headaches recently. They have the following symptoms
- usually start After 3-4 days of extra exertion, like heavy activity weekends.
- feeling of heaviness in  head before the pain actually starts.
- back of head feels tender to touch and sometimes has shooting pain
- left ear or both ears feel wierd and get a bit sensitive to sound
- eyes feel heavy and get a bit sensitive to light (not always)
- ear pain sometimes
- headache usually at back of head, sometimes all of the head
- continues for a day or more and leaves me very exhausted.
- they go away in a day or two with lots of rest and sleep.

These have occurred 4 times now every 15-20 days. I am trying to note the pattern and symptoms to see if it is a migraine. I take tylenol and that dulls the pain but it is still there. I do not have a history of migraine in my family,

Previous history
- I had a meningioma removed from my brain 2.5 years back and have some balance problems, but i never had headaches except for the firs tmonth after the surgery.
- 1.5 years after surgery i developed dust mite allergies, which started giving me sinus headaches( cheeks, forehead, back of head aches) every 2 weeks. I clean the house, do saline sprays and breathing exercises and they are down to about 1 mild sinus headache every 2 months.
- I also get hunger headaches sometimes which are also usually centered at back of my head and are mild and go away when i eat.

Suggestions please..

The symptoms that you are having can be due to migraines. The International classification of headache disorders has defined migraine as having unilateral location, pulsating quality, moderate or severe intensity, aggravation by routine physical activity and association with nausea and/or photophobia and phonophobia.

Treatment of migraine involves using a cold compress to the area of pain, resting in a room with little or no sensory stimulation (light, sound, and odors), withdrawing from stressful surroundings and sleeping. You can also try over the counter pain killers like aspirin or acetaminophen. If still the symptoms persist, then please consult a physician for specific anti-migraine therapy(triptans and ergot preparations).

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.

I am not sure the headache has a pulsating quality..I will try to note that next time. I do rest most times and sometimes the headache does not worsen. But I cant always withdraw into a dark room and rest :(

I did get some prescription sumatriptan(imitrex) to try, but i am usually scared of meds which have too many side effects listed. I will probably go the natural route of rest and trying to restrict the headache triggers.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions.
Take care.