Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache/Nose Bleeds

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache/Nose Bleeds

I have had a constant headache that travels from my forehead, down my nose, in the right side of my neck and right ear drum.  I have on and off nose bleeds for about three weeks now. I do have a history of migraines but as of yet do not take any prescriptions on a regular basis as they do not happen very often.  I can usually sleep them off. This headache is different.  I have never had a nose bleed before with a headache.  I have had a sinus infection before and this does not feel the same.  The ear pain is horrible.  

I do have other issues going on such as being diagnosed recently with fibromyalgia.  I was also diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 17 years ago but this has been in remission for several years.  I have three herniated discs in my spine (2 cervical, 1 lumbosacral) along with osteoarthritis and scoliosis of the spine.  I have bursitis of the right hip.  I have arthritis in my hands and feet.  I have IBD, PCOS and interstial cystitis.  

Please help.
WOW. YOU DON'T SOUND LIKE YOU'RE HAVING A VERY FUN TIME AT ALL. I AM HAVING THE SAME TYPE OF HEADACHE YOU ARE WITH MINOR NOSEBLEEDS AND I HAVE NO HISTORY OF NOSEBLEEDS NOR MIRGRAINES. MINE IS ON ONE SIDE OF MY HEAD AND ONLY HAPPENS FOR 10-15 SECONDS AT A TIME AND JUST AS MANY TIMES A DAY. I ACTUALLY WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND HE SAID IT COULD BE ANOTHER TYPE OF MIGRAINE. HE PUT ME ON MIDRID. I WISH I COULD FIND THE ANSWER, BECAUSE THEY ARE REALLY BEGINNING TO ANNOY ME. IF YOU FIND OUT ANYTHING LET ME KNOW?? ***@****
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The headaches and neck pains may be associated with your previous diagnosis of fibromyalgia. However, the presence of nosebleeds may need further evaluation.

I just need to ask some relevant questions.

Have you experienced ear and neck pains prior to the nosebleed?

Is there any sensation of ear fullness?

Any ear discharge or hearing loss?

Any difficulty smelling things ?

Is the nosebleed profuse? Would you be able to quantify ?

I will be expecting your answers.

I am a chronic migraine sufferer and I have had nosebleeds for the past year and they have no idea what is wrong now I am always tired I'm going to head back to the Dr. in the next couple of weeks and get some answers... glad it isn't just me suffering like this.

This is incredible.  I can't believe that doctors cannot find the cure of something that so many people suffer from.  I just recently began to get really bad migraines which cause me to vomit and then the nosebleeding just started to happen.  I though that it was because i needed a higher eye prescription but it turns out im fine.  I just went to the doctor to get blood work and some other tests.  I am healthier than the doctor who checked me.  Now that i hear all this what's, the point to go back to the doctor if they are going to say the same to me.  if anyone finds out a solution to this or at least to relieve the headaches please let me know.  
I have been having the same problems, the only difference is i thought mine was caused by a brain tumor i have but the doctors are telling me they are not, i also have memory loss, and seizures. The migraines never go away, i wake up with them and even when i try to take my medication it does not help. Let me know if you get any answers.
hi since a few days befor christmas
i have been suffering killer migrians and nose bleeds and tried cutting off things that might trigger it  like my caffeen intake and nicotine intake but nothing has worked and advice would be greatly and happly taken
I recently developed a cold a few weeks ago which was the first I have had in a little over a year. Along with it I became so congested that I developed light nose bleeding in my right nostril. Not long after I started suffering from regular headaches, and after having food poisoning saturday, they have increased to head splitting migraines that limit my ability to see and disorient me completely.

I will still probably go to the doctor noting that high blood pressure and seizures run in my family.

hi i have had headaches where my ears and nose bleed most everytime the pain is unberable, and requires a shot which still does not totaly take the pain away just the edge off, these headaches can last for several days and have caused me to blackout in the past, about ten years ago i was finaly diagnosed with cluster headaches it now has been almost a little over a year with no headache, i can tell you your migrane (migraine) meds will not work on these types of headaches
I have been suffering with daily migraine for 2 yrs.  I was diagnosed as having chronic intractable migraine.  I have been on many different treatments.  No treatment has been successful except in giving me side effects.  Last night I started having nosebleeding  This morning's bleeding episode was heavy.
I have had a lot of headaches and on and off nose bleeds. the headaches are unreal and the nose bleeds often are long and have lots of clums in them.
I have had headaches and nosebleeds all my life but never as bad as I do now and never combined like they are now.  My nosebleed is so bad I stand over the sink and just let it gush out.  Sometimes the blood that is running out my nose feels boiling hot.  It is a terrible feeling.  It feels like the blood is coming from higher up somewhere and not just from inside my nose.  I have noticed that I have a mild headache or tight feeling in my head and after my nosebleed stops the headache is gone.  It leaves me drained and with no energy.  I have not gone to the doctor yet because I know they will tell me it is because of the dryness due to Winter.  My symptoms are happening about every 2 days now.  It is aggravating.  I never know when the nosebleed will start.  
If you're having headaches and nose bleeds and you live in a cold climate area, or where there are a lot of trees and bushes, you might want to move to a warmer (dry) climate state. Also, if you live in a city where the ozone is really bad, move somewhere where the air is cleaner. Preferably a warm, dry climate. Try taking a vacation to such a place and see if your symptoms stop. I went through years of hell because of sinus problems. I had two sinus surgeries, years of antibiotic use and two years of allergy shots. Not to mention the many thousands of pain killers I took. Nothing worked until a doctor suggested I move to a warm, dry place, preferably close to the ocean. I did and all my sinus problems went away and have stayed gone.  I live in southern California.
My boyfriend has had the same symptoms that you named, neck pains, blood nose, migraines, and the other day as he was driving he said that he heard a sudden high pitched sound that deafened him for a minute which hurt so he had to pull over. Is this something serious? He had a car crash about 2 months ago if thats any help?

Thankyou
I'm on coumadin and so my blood is a littler thinner than average anyways... However lately I have been having sudden headaches wich almost flow/trickle down my head on the left side lasting several seconds.  In the morning I wake up spitting blood and I also get nosebleeds out of the blue- any suggestions???
I am a dental assistant. Now I know you are wondering why a dental assistant would know anything about migrains but hear me out. We custom fabricate a  mouthpiece called an NTI. Believe me if you suffer from headaches or migrains please go to this website http://www.headacheprevention.com. This will change your life! I have seen so many success stories! It just makes my day to see how this little mouthpiece can completely change a persons life. Now I can sit here and try and explain it to you, but going to the website would probably benefit you more! They will provide you with a list of providers in your area that specialize in this area. Everything you need to know is on the website!
i have had seven nosebleeds today , and a migraine always follows on from these nosebleeds ,  i hav an exam for uni tomorrow ,

im even finding it very dificult and painful to read!!...i know i am unable to go .

WHAT DO I DO ?
I'm not meaning to alarm anyone, however I have read almost all of the above entries on this page...and well, I have found that many of the symptoms you have all listed happen to go along with something I was just recently diagnosed with called, Chiari Malformation.

I have the headaches, the neck pain, dizziness, i get nose bleeds all the time, along with hiccups, memory loss, numbness in my upper extremities......and other symptoms that i don't have...at least not yet(knock on wood) are seizures, ringing in my ears( has happened time to time....but not often enough that i say i have this).........

Now again i'm not meaning to alarm anybody....but it is a little crazy that so many little things would tie up into something serious like Chiari....so just be careful and maybe if you haven't found any answers to your problems yet at least give this Disorder a look see.

Hi I was having latley behind my earsand by my right temple, I've also been having nose bleeds (which i've never had before in my life) I noticed that all of the symptoms vannessa listed above fit my recent condition. I was wondering if i need to go to a doctor? If anyone could help me out this would be great!
I have been diagnosed with severe migraine after having symptoms were my tongue and leg on one side would go numb and I would lose my sight in one eye. I had a CT scan which thankfully showed up normal, but now I am taking a headache and my nose is bleeding. I have had three bleeds from yesterday. Is this the next symptom? I have just weaned myself of Propananol beta blockers as they were making me tired and feeling unwell. I am just going to soldier on, I don,t think there is a known cure for migraine.
Sorry to hear of everyones suffering. I know exactly what is causing my headaches and nosebleeds (along with other horrid sypmtoms).....electromagnetic radiation.....in my case i moved near to a cellphone mast which has made me sensitive to cellphones themselves and also wi-fi. Headaches and nosebleeds are common symptoms of sensitivity to EM radiation. just thought I would draw everyones attention to this so that it can be considered in your personal circumstances. See website below for further info. Wishing you all good health & happiness x

http://www.weepinitiative.org/livingwithEHS.html
SALT WATER!!! Its all about the salt water. I have had headaches, sinus infections and nose bleeds for years. Finally the nose specialist told me to use the sinus rinse on a regular basis. It is amazing how much better everything is, as long as i keep using it. You can get them at shoppers, the spray or the nettypot. Thus why people who live by the sea don't have theses problems. Also a humidifier in your room can make huge improvements in nosebleeds. Run it in the night, maybe even consider adding crushed sea salt to it. Avoid asprin, its been known to create a dependency/re-occurring headaches.
I've just started to have the same problem.  I've had severe migraines for many years and and used to get needles in my neck that stopped them for 6 months at a time but they quit working so now I am take morphine for them.  Always with the migraines came  upset tummy with throwing up.  BUT now I'm now having short nose bleeds with them, this worries me because in all the years I've had migraines I've never had nose bleeds.  I'm going to the doctor soon but just wondered if you've found out anything since you started having the nose bleeds with your migraines?  My migraine seems to stem from behind my one of my eyes, mostly right but sometimes left.  The migraine feels like my eye is going to pop out with the pain going to the top of my head and down to my neck.  The only way I can get rid of them is to lay in a dark room with ice on my eye or eyes and head in total darkness and quiet.  The morphine eventually takes it down to a bearable level but sometimes takes days to totally get rid of them.  I'll out of the blue wake up with one and stay with me for a day to 2 or 3 or once in a while a week.  I've tried all the migraine medication but morphine is the only thing that works and fairly quickly, even though it won't totally take it away most of the time.   Anyway these nose bleeds are new to me after 20 years and I don't know whether or not to be worried about it or not.  From what I read here it seems common, Have you or anyone found out what they are etc?  My doctor had my eyes nose and ears checked but everything seems ok.  Any answers or ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? While it is true that epistaxis or nosebleeds may also be a symptom of migraine headaches for some, but it can also indicate increased blood pressure or hypertension, trauma, allergic and non-allergic rhinitis and even tumors and inherited bleeding problems. It is good that your physical examination was normal, however, if it persists, you may need to have further diagnostic tests for proper diagnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Migraine headaches usually respond to rest and both abortive and preventive medications. There are many medicines available today for migraine headaches, but it may take a while before you find the best one for your case. Hemiplegic migraine, which may be responsible for your symptoms, may be managed with these prescription medications also. Discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation and to rule out other conditions that may be responsible for the nose bleeding.  Take care and regards.
I hope this helps at least some of you - these symptoms all sound a lot like some of the many symptoms my daughter had before we found out she had a B12 deficiency.  I would recommend researching this to see if you agree your symptoms match, and getting tested by your doctor if you think it's a possibility.  If this is your problem, it's an easy fix (injections or sub-lingual medications), and can be painful, frustrating and even dangerous in some cases if not treated.  Good luck to you all!
I realize these post are a few years old, but if someone still looks at thisi thought i ask anyway.   I jist had another BAD nose bleeds and i feel yuckbecause i have a terriable migraine (my eyes cant focus to well rt now & not spellingclearly)  i am just wondering if the 2 have anything together, ivenever talked about thesex silly symptoms. But its bothdrsum now & itall leads back to thelumps on my neck, thnx for any info or nelp if you know anything.
Sincerly Darlene
will somebody get some answers soon?! my migraines killin me! today is three weeks, so painful its nausiating i smell everything!!! but the difference in todays migraine is that it was followed by a nose bleed which i have never had! left nosteral bled then the migraine thru the left side of my eye, head and temple ear area and all,then settled on both temples and the rest of my head! i also usually have to and can sleep them off as no meds are helping at all
I too suffer from migraines and nosebleeds. I have found the trigger for the combo for me: sodium larual(th) sulfate.(SLS) It is in everything from soaps to meds. I have to carry a small travel size bottle of hand soap wherever I go. Check you meds (rxlist.com) and see if SLS is an inactive ingredient and read the labels on your soap. Even if it says all natural it can still have SLS. Case in point--Seventh Generation on the outside label it says all natural plant surfactants. Yet you peal the outside label off you will see SLS. Same goes if the labels anion or ion action on the label.

I hope this helps you,
achilles2
I TO SUFFER FROM ALL OF THE NOSE BLEEDS THE PRESSURE THE HEADACHES I FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE A ANTHORID CYST ATTACHED TO MY BRAIN STEM THAT IS PUTTING PRESSURE ON ALOT AND NOW THEY ARE GOING TO DRAIN THE FLUID TO RELIVE PRESSURE SO THE HEADACHES AND NOSE BLEEDS WILL STOP I HAD TO GET AN A MRI DONE OF MY HEAD TO FIND OUT.
nosebleedng...headache...i'm so scared and i'm afraid of having a brain cancer or something plz can somebody help me? cz the nosebleeding happens for me 5 times per day and i'm suffering. i need some answers.
You could have allergies. I recommend that you find a good allergist/immunologist. Sodium Laural(th) sulfate cause me to have both nose bleeds and headaches.

For all of you guys and dolls who have either chronic nose bleeds with or without headacks or in combination, I suggest that you be checked out for iron overload (hemochromatosis). I say that the nose bleed is mother nature's way of de-ironing the body and the nose bleed and severe headacks are good signs amoungst over 100 other signs and symptoms of this iron overload disorder. Have any of you been diagnosed to have chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), or fibromyalgia also?  These conditions overlap or mesh together like pine needles falling from a pine tree.

To be checked for hemochromatosis, you need to have a complete blood count (CBC) and an iron panel consisting of total iron binding capacity (TIBC), serum iron, and ferritin tests included. Pay particular attention to the MCV, and if that is above 95, this is a good indicator that you may have hemochromatosis. Of course, the other readings are most likely to be out of order also.

The reason I can say this is that I suffered from these symptoms for years and the treatment for hemochromatosis, which is donating blood by Rx, completely took care of the problems now for 32 years and what a great life without the nose bleeds and very serious headacks - oh, what a great life since.

If you ask your doctor about doing this and he says this is not necesary or something else like that, then I suggest you change doctors pronto.

I am not trying to get you to spend your money, just trying to help.

Skeptical? - that is the way it is now days, I have nothing to gain except the satification of telling you so and to get you helped if this applies to you.

Thanks for listening,

Dochemo
My husband has suffered from loss of hearing (completely) in left ear, followed by severe headaches and constant nose bleeds for the past six months.  We have seen an ENT Consultant, a neurologist, had CT and MR Scan and they still cant find anything.   We are at a loss,, dont know what to do next?  Any suggestions?
Try a allegy medication. Same condition. :)