Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache after sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache after sex

this is really strange but i have been experience throbbing headaches that start at the base the neck after sex. this has only started recently but the headaches last for a few moments but can alomost nock me to the floor, i m 19 yr, 145 lb, 5.3 ft, male, is this serious and should i go see a doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? This could also be due to exertion headaches which presents with generalized head pain of short duration during or following physical exertion. This includes running, jumping, or sexual intercourse and even passive exertion like sneezing, coughing, or bowel movement. This can be associated with migraine or cluster headaches but it may also be due to organic causes. Further evaluation may need to be done. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and do keep us posted.
I don't think it's actually the sex that is the problem. It sounds like a change in diet, exersise, and or maybe in where you live (climate). Around the time this started happening, did you notice a change in your diet? If so, what was it?

The headache describes (I am not a doctor) blood pressure being high. If your blood pressure is to high, then you can get a headache when you add on extra physical activity.

You can check on those blood pressure machines at drug stores and if you noticed a change in your diet (say more starbucks recently) then if you see your blood pressure go up after consuming something, you can basically know what the problem is.

This is what I would do, however, if you feel safer to go to a doctor, please do and don't hesitate it. Good luck and keep us posted on your condition.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you all for your responses and advice,but i havent noticed any change in my diet, i have always had a pretty inconsistant diet though, and i dont have any history of high blood pressure, but i plan on getting that check.
I think the extertion headache is most likely, as after reading this i went tried to do as many push ups as possible as fast as possible and quickly got the same headache. but i have never had any problems with this before with a regular work out routine until this past week, so why now?
I do plan on seeing a doctor.
actually i just started taking a new medication called prehistin but it does not mention this as a side effect. but i plan on mentioning this to my doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. If you have history of migraine or cluster headaches, this is more likely since this occurs around 90 % of the time (according to literature). Organic causes that should be ruled out include blood vessel malformation or space occupying lesion in the brain. You may benefit from a referral to a neurologist and imaging studies like MRI to help with the diagnosis. Take care and hope to hear from you soon. Best regards.
thanks for the reply, i went to see my doctor she didnt mention an MRI and she put me on a muscle relaxer called flexeril but she did not seem very sure with her diagnosis, kinda acted like "hey see if this works?" but its has been a few days and hasnt worked yet, i have a appointment tomorrow.
i did have migrain headaches when i was young but dont remmeber them being this way. any advice or points i should bring up with my doctor
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. There are many types of migraine and you may also benefit from a referral to a neurologist.  If the medication did not work, stronger prescription medication may be indicated. However, to rule out organic causes, it is best that imaging studies like MRI or CT scan be done also.Take care and do keep us posted with your  follow-up.
thanks again for the advice, i went back to my doctor and she plans on reffering me to chirpractor but the muscle relaxer didnt work and i m affraid of increasing the dosage because when i took it at night made i had trouble staying awake the next day. next visit i plan on asking about  MRI or CT and refferal to a neurologist because these are truely getting in the way of my life and daily routine
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? How was the chiropractor sessions? Were you able to have the imaging studies done? I sincerely hope you are feeling better now. Take care and do keep us posted with the CT scan/MRI results. Best regards.
Hi Stuart

I hope you have some relief by now.  I would recommend an exercise called a chin retraction.  There are lots of example on the internet, each slightly different, and my personal opinion isnot to follow the ones created by the chiropractors, but take all the examples and understand what is happening.  Posture is a big problem with most of us today, and hyper extending your neck is apparently causing your issues.  Something to also consider is what you do all day long and at night.  Where is your head in relationship to your body?

If you have a firm pillow or two and sleep on your back, you are in bad posture as you sleep.  Are you hunching over a keyboard during the day, same issue. The chin retractions and neck/head posture may help you more than a quick visit to the chiropractor.  I would even recommend getting a professional neck/shoulder massage.  If you are really keen on fixing your issues, look up someone in your area with Neuromuscular training, such as someone with Paul St. Johns certification.  Lots of muscles in the neck, and just because you had an adjustment, doesn't mean that the neck is going to stay in that position... Hope this input helps

Jim