Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache and Ear Ringing

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache and Ear Ringing

1 Year ago I woke up one morning with my ear ringing and my head hurting.  I have been to a Chiropractor with no luck.  Weeks later i went to a regular doctor and was treated for sinus infection, then back a week later for ear infection and the infection went away but head and ringing is still there, in the following weeks no symptoms changed.  I then was sent to get a CT and that came back clean so they sent me to get a MRI done and still no luck.  I also tried a Atlas doctor, another chiropractor, ENT doctor, Nurologist, Physical Theripist and all with no luck.  Ive tried not drinking pop for 4 weeks and watching what i eat yet nothing changed.  I am 28 and have never been drunk nor do i smoke and never have.  My ear still rings and my head hurts.  I want to say its not a migrane (migraine) because it feels different.  It almost feels more like a injury than a headache.  Its on the very top of my head...just to the right.....and about 2 inches down.  Before this I have NEVER EVER had headache troubles..  I could go years with only a simple headace that tylenol would fix.  I am now on Cymbalta and it takes the edge off so i can at least go to work.  Its now a year later and I still have the same troubles and no change.  I have tried all the medicins in the book.  More than i can even name here.  Nothing helped and I think the only reason cymbalta helps is because i sleep a little better and have more energy to push the headache and ringing away.  Ideas anyone?  
I have the same thing.  Have you been using a sleep aid prior to this?  I'm beginning to suspect ambien and ambien related substances.
The only difference I can see here is my age.  I'm 50.  I don't know about an atlas doctor, but I sought help from ent, neurologist, gp...everyone.  Same case scenario.  Maybe the sleep aid is doing this?  I've been taking ambien every once in a while.  Now, this.  I thought I was having an aneurism (aneurysm). Let me know if this sounds like the same.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How do you describe your tinnitus? Is this ringing, roaring , squealing? Did this occur abruptly? Any associated activity or events prior to its onset?

Tinnitus may be caused by several things. Was your sinus infection properly managed? Have you followed up with you your ENT specialist regarding this? Wsa there complete asessment of the inner ear?

You have mentioned that this feels like an injury. Have you ever hit your head or exposed yourself to any loud noises ?

Do keep us posted with your answers.
I have never used a sleep aid until the past 5 months.  Before all of this started I havent been on any medication for any reason other than you get a cold and the doc prescribes something that lasts a week or two.  My tinnitus is more like a ringing and yes...both the headache and the tinnitus occured the same morning over night.  I could never think of any reason or any head injury that would cause this.  The sinus infection was properly managed and it went away with no troubles.  The regulard ENT took a good look at my ear and said it was ok.  I dont listen to loud music but I worked on a farm all my life and was always around loud things but never had troubles.  I remember hitting my head on a cement floor about a year before the trouble began but it was never all that serious.  And again,  both the headaches and the ear ringing occured over night and have never subsided or went away.  Not even for 5 minutes.  they are both constand 24-7.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Maybe you can discuss with your physician the possibility tha this could be a migraine.Given that your scans came in clean. I can not say how the headaches will respond to migraine therapy given that at this point the presentation seems unusual. Maybe you can also discuss with them if an EMG will be able to help. It mght be nerve related for all we know.

I hope i can help more but do keep in touch ok.
I have the same thing and it started about a month ago . Just had an MRI on the 11 July 2008, don;t really no where I stand but it is driving me nuts. I have two kids and this is not fun . I have missed work. I do get migraines once in a while and would rather deal with that than this constant ringing/percing/ocean sound and severe head ache. At least I am not alone not that it makes it better for anyone else with this problem.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with ear and headache problem.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.You will feel the difference in weeks.Come back to report your progress so that others may benefit.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.

Another cause of headache and ringing in the ears can be anemia. I would suggest you get your blood hemoglobin levels checked as well.
At the same time I would advise you to eat regularly, maintain hysration and make sure you get sufficient physical exercise during the day. Take care!
I unfortunatly still have this problem a year and a half later.  Never ending and never letting up.  I finally found that Cymbalta helps with the head aches and gets me threw the day.  It took about a week to kick in but it definatly helps.  I have tried physical excercise, watching what I eat and even stopped drinking pop with no luck.  This problem has changed my life completly but I refuse to give in or give up.  Be careful because this problem will make you irratable and effect others around you.  I hope this helps you a bit.  Keep us posted
Was your mri with contrast? Were they focusing on the inner ears? I only ask because I had the same problems for years, had mri w/ contrast and found out I had a 1.8 cm acoustic neuroma tumor.( A tumor of the inner ear.) An ENT cannot see it by looking into your ear. I am hoping this is not the case for you and that you beat this pain.
It is interesting to find this as I have what sounds like the same thing.  I am currently taking Topomax (topamax) and Propanolol...they are not helping yet but I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Mine also came on over night.  Started mid July 2008 and hasn't stopped.  I have an Neuro appt coming up in about a month.  The headache is terrible and makes the days difficult.  I have a 2 year old and work hard at not letting it control my life.  I too have cut out caffiene, alcohol, candy, most processed foods.  Anything I think might make it worse (cause it does get worse when I do certain things) and I try to drink alot of water and get exercise.  Your standard Tylenol or Ibuprophen don't seem to help at all.  I have done relaxation massage and aroma therapy (which made the headache worse).  I have wanted to try reflexology as I have heard it can be really good for headaches.  I am not really into that kind of stuff but at this point I would smear butter on a rock and toss it across the road if you told me it would make my headache go away.  Good luck to you.
Your headache will go away with the exercises I suggested on July 14, 2008 on this thread. Try it seriously for 11 days, just to feel the benefit and then continue until the health is back to normal.You can do it yourself everyday, without the need for classes.
At least I feel like I am not alone! For the last 4 weeks I have had a headache that is very different from a sinus headache or a migraine. And the ear ringing is so distracting. They have tried a shot of tribadol, relpax for migraines, mucinex for fluid behind the ears, sudafed, and most recently antibiotics for possible virus. They just did an MRI and are sending me to a Neurologist. I am so frustrated and confused about who to even see for this. I am going to try the yoga exercises and hope to share some good news.
HI......U found a great place for info and support here on medhelp.

U say u had an MRI....did u request a copy of the disk and the report?...if not, call the location of the testing and request one. It is a good pratice to request copies of all testing, so if/when u r referred to another dr u have all u need to take already!

Also it is easier to ask ?'s when u have all the info, not relying on memory.

was ur MRI w/wo contrast?...of the brain?.....cervical,thoracic or lumbar spine?

I can relate to ur frustration...I had similar issues growing up and was sent to all kinds of drs and threapists....no  one could figure out what was wrong....I was finally dx'd this past Feb. '08...and have yet to get to the right dr for treatment!!.....keep copies, and if the dr is not working with u, find a new one....I would get so disgusted I stopped going for yrs at a time, then go back when I couldn't stand it ne more....and it just was a viscious cycle.I changed drs also, and did not have copies and some things I do not believe were sent from the previous dr.

I was to see a rheumitoid dr, he was the one to finally give my dx...however it was a neuro issue and he could not treat me.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
I have been going through similar issues and completely understand your pain.  Recently I started acupuncture for the first time.  After my 3rd session, my headaches went away completely and my ear ringing (a plugged up feeling) subsided.  Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the acu anymore and now the symptoms returned.  I had a brain scan (MRI) and the neurologist discovered three UBO unidentified bright objects but were found to be benign.  It is frustrating.  Maltimax (migraine oral melts) did the work to get rid of the pain and ear issues only for the pain and ear problems to return once the meds wore off.  I hope some of this helps.  I am doing better but now it has been discovered I have two herniated disks in my neck.  It just doesn't seem to end.  I am falling apart.  I guess the saying " the sqeaky wheel gets the grease" is true.  Keep on telling your doctor everything that is happening and keep a pain journal. It has helped me and now the doctors seem to take this more serious to find a cause and a treatment.  
Hello it sound more like B12 deficiency. Are you anemic? I get this ringing of the ears and headaches and nausea and fatigue, when my levels of B12 are low. I have pernicious anemia. Why don't you ask your doctor to check this. Is important because if you are B12 deficient, either you not taking it in from the diet (problems in the lining of the stomach, or other reason), the neurological problems can lead to lost of balance or death if you are not producing red a good amount of red cell. Just check it does not hurt.
TMJ and ringing in the ears can occur together, along with killer headaches. I thought my sinus was the cause of my pain, but the ENT I saw pushed his index fingers into the roof of my mouth, and when I hit the roof in extreme pain he said that was a dead give away it was TMJ.
He said he has seen many patients who thought they had sinus problems and it's quite common to confuse the two.

Link here:

http://www.michigan-headache-tmj-doctor.com/tinnitus_tmj.html

I realize the first post is from 2008 but hopefully this will help someone out there.

Started 10 years ago out of nowhere. Dizzy, ringing, pain in same places you folks are
describing. Throw up three times a day. Had every test and was told it was Sinusitus.

Ended up in Hospital.  No help, went home and was told nothing else anyone could do.
So I gathered up my strength and carried a throw up catcher with me and went to work.
Was hardest thing I ever did.  All of a sudden some days it would go away for a while. Eventualy it went away all together. It still comes back from time to time but not for as long

I did some research and along with my own experience here are some things I found out.
First of all the ansaids and nsaids, (advil, motrin, aleve, etc) are listed as side effects causers. And I was taking them. Second of all I found that just plain Bufferin Aspirin (500mg Red Bottle) worked the best if you can take it.  I saw ENT and  we did surgery to make my nostrils larger to help dry out my sinus cavs. That seemed to help a lot of things including I get less colds. Try this. Take your Bufferin, wait 20 minutes, jump in the shower and let the hot water beat down on your head in the painfull areas. Do this for 10 minutes at least, then go to bed. Also try and elevate your upper body a little, (not just your head)
while sleeping  Very hot salty soups also hep me.  

It is sinus related I believe.  I noticed since I got the  surgery and  the headaches return
that shortly after they go away I have large amount of nasal discharge.  Seems to get clogged up or something.

One last thing to try is to get some pure oxygen and breathe it for around 10 minutes. Different things seem to help different times.  But the hot shower deal always helps at least for a while. That alone is indication its sinus related.

Hope this helps some of you Folks. Let me know.

TonyXXXL
My son is 11 yrs old and woke up this morning complaining that his ears are ringing and it' driving him crazy! He has complained off and on for a few years but, never for more than a few days at a time so, I never really thought much about it until now. He has complained about it more often and his doctor looked in his ears and only said that he has alot of scar tissue but, no ear infection. My son had alot of ear infections when he was a baby and toddler but not any that I can recall for at least 6 or 7 yrs. I have also noticed throughout the years that he has alot more earwax than anyone I have known. We have to clean his ears every few days because it is a very dark orange that is very noticable and gross to look at. lol! The only medication he is on is adderall (adderrall) XR 30mg. He is ADHD and has been on this medication for about 6 yrs. Just trying to mention as much as I can to help my baby (well little man). Thanks for any advice. Love that we all may be helping by telling our stories!
Let your son do the anulom vilom for 10 minutes and bhramri for 5 times, twice a day. He will notice the benefit in weeks. Keep cleaning the ears regularly, as a lot of wax will be produced as the ears try to heal.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.

Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
March 7, 2011
I have the exact same problems the only difference being I have had the tinnitus for years ( slight nothing major ) Now I have a constant LOUD ringing in my ears all the time that are accompanied with severe headaches all the time. It is driving me crazy. I have also seen different Dr.'s been loaded up with all kinds of pills and still nothing works. It has effected my whole lifestyle. I am drained of energy and just don't feel good. I have changed my diet also. And of course tried some of the 'so called miracle cures you can buy over the internet " waste of money. I am desperate for some kind of relief. Sometimes I just want to take an ice pick and run it all the way through from one side to the other.
Mine started about 2 months ago and has not stopped. I have mild headaches to migraine. Nothing works so far. I am a healthy person, no meds, eat healthy, no soda just coffee. I also workout regularly. I will start seeing doctors in Jan and see if they can come up with anything. If anyone figures it out let us know!
I really think you should explore TMJ and have a mouth guard made for you. Tell your chiropractor about TMJ and have him work on your jaw. I have the same thing and I'm sure it is linked to my jaw. The jaw is so complex it can mimic an ear infection, sinus infection, etc.
Good luck!
Mine has started a month ago been to three docs they keep giving me nose spray and sinus meds I have tried taking anything for my headache but nothing works no one seems to believe me that I here this loud high pitch static non stop and headache non stop im so tired now it's like I have no energy and I cant get no one to understand they look at me like im nuts!
and why is it that when you really really hurt you go to a doc and they treat you as if your lying and just want pain pills i dont care just make it go away
Some natural methods to help with ears and headache.
Follow the anulom vilom pranayam and bhramri pranayam twice a day, and ear popping once a day. Come back to report when you notice the benefit.

Ear popping:
Breathe in,
Close  both your nostrils with thumb and forefinger,
Blow out hard(like blowing a baloon), keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards).
You will notice the ear drum moving.Repeat this 3 times.
Do this only 3 times  per day.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –

This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.

Bhramri Pranayam -Roll your tongue up, so that it touches the roof of the mouth. Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.

May 16 ,2012
The ringing and headaches and fatigue are all about to drive me crazy!  Ive been to every doctor on all kinds of supplements, mri's. Today I had an inner ear mri, Im nervous about the results, but like everyone else here it all just started out of the blue, I did not know so many others had the same thing.
shel82
and also shel82 if you have migraines too.  

I don't know about the loud ear noises which I also have some very irritating eye noise some of the time that the ENT doctor said there was nothing that could be done for it.

BUT, maybe it goes with the migraines.  And what have you been treated with for your migraines?  Minimally you should have tried a number of daily preventative migraine meds, but there are a number of other treatments such as Botox.  You need to describe what other treatments so that I can provide more help.
I have had the same thing the past 5 years.  When I tell friends I have this terrible ringing in my ears they think I am crazy!  My head and neck hurt so bad I sometimes want to scream but know it would only make it worse.  No Dr no test no medicine helps!
What do you mean no Dr helps?  Have you seen a neurologist or pain management specialist?  There are plenty of treatments for head and neck pain and if that pain subsides, your ear ringing could get much better, like mine has gotten better with my head and neck pain getting better.  (I put eye above instead of ear.  Sorry.)

Let me know what meds you have taken.  I bet I know at least one that you haven't tried. Have you tried nerve block or trigger point injections which especially help those who have neck pain?  Also physical therapy has also helped my neck pain and in turn my migraines.  Have you tried Botox?  

Let me know and I can probably help you a lot more.

Sara
Hi,  My son is 9 and has been complaining of his right ear ringing, headaches, jaw pain on right side, some sinus stuff going on, but nothing severe.  This has been going on for 2 months now, and it is about to drive us both crazy!  This past spring he was diagnosed w/ anemia.  I'm wondering if that is the cause.  We were very good about taking a vitamin everyday, but honestly, here recently, we have slacked.  We have been to see our regular pediatrician, an ENT, he had an MRI w/ contrast (it was normal), saw a pediatric dentist thinking it could be TMJ, then referred to an oral surgeon who determined it was NOT TMJ, and suggested we see a neurologist.  I feel like I'm at a loss.  All I want is for my baby to feel better, and I don't know how to help him.  Is there a multi-vitamin you suggest?

Oooh, I thought  I was the only one too.  I woke up one morning with severe pressure in my ear and this terrible ringing.  Went to the ER and they told me to take Claritin.  I have went to ENT, Allergist, Dentist, Chiropracter and Family Doctor and have an appointment with Neuro next .  Non of the meds work, CT scan and MRI are normal, the headaches are only on one side and the top of the head, feels like someone is trying to scalp me!..

I was doing yoga and have quite for a while due to all of this, I will now return to it, and I am asking the DR for a blood test

Take care everyone somewhere there is something that will help
I have the same. I have been drinking lots of nettle tea (loose leaf) it helps, but I have to drink about 5 cups a day.

It started with a concussion for me, now it just comes back whenever I get sick with something. Originally, the ER doc said the muscle that holds the neck and the scalp and runs to the eyes gets inflames from stress (physical or emotional I guess). What we most likely hear is the sound of tight muscles. Pressing on the muscle under the ear for 30 sec then lowering the head while still pressing, then release keeping the head tilted for awhile helps with the tension. Tylenol helps too, although I found the percoset they gave me the most effective. It made a significant difference after taking only 3 tablets. Changing up my work area to make it more ergonomical helped too a bit. Quitting the computer for 3 weeks made the biggest improvement in my ear ringing. Of course, now it's back and I am on the computer again. I got my ears cleaned today, that helped a bit too.
Me Monk, do you still have the problem? Did you find a solution?
I've been getting this, drumming in my right ear. It's constant and only comes along when I have what I am beginning to believe to be a migraine. It's always in the same spot, an inch or two just above my right ear. I have had these crippling headaches for as long as I can remember but it has never lasted any longer then a day or two. I am on day four and I cannot find relief. No amount of excidrin or other medication has provided relief. I don't have medical coverage or money to throw away on a doctor. But the drumming eggs on the migraine and the burring behind my right eye is so painful, from behind my right eye to the surface of the eye. The lights burn, my skull burns, pins and nails prodding with this, thumping wave that becomes unbearable. It literally stops me in my tracks and at times forced me to the ground.

I had wondered of smoking some pot would help, but I am not sure and I do not want to add to the problem without some direction. I just know I cannot swallow another pill, the thought of it alone is sickening.
Follow my post of May 16 ,2012 about breathing techniques to help your headache and ear problem. Do it daily twice a day and come back with your feedback.
It's likely radiation from Fukushima, or if you live near any nuclear plant or one of the every 50 mile radiation waste storage facilities, or you went to dentist and doctor for x-rays and it all(radiation) adds up and up and up.  Called bioaccumulation.   Fukushima has been leaking for several years from day one a lot into the air and ocean.  Coming down mostly with rain.  I added a bloody nose and constipation to my symptoms.  The bloody nose is definitely radiation and adds up onto the reason for my teeth going bad.  Purification helps anybody but for pain nothing works on a migraine compared to Benadryl. The brand name liquid no-die gels.  I had to take 7 already in 18 hours against the instructions but the pain was hurting.   If you dare to eat a GMO food and I tried, your getting some kind of thing that sticks on your insides like a label that never comes off cause they found some kind of glue. So GMO does that.  You can try nutrimedical.com but it costs too much for me so I just read the ingredients list and try and get the products in non pill form.  
I feel the same way it gets so bad now it's gotten so bad that it feels like a blood vessel  going to pop in my head I'm going in for an MRI this week