Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache and eyelid twitch

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache and eyelid twitch

A little over a year ago I started getting headaches on the left side. It felt like the pain was coming from between my eye and my sinus, if that makes any sense... it's not behind my eye, but it's below my eyebrow where a sinus headache would normally come from. It seems to come from one specific spot, the upper inside corner. I had my vision checked and it was normal. My family doctor sent me to an ENT to look at my sinuses. The ENT performed a rhinoscopy and sent me for a CT scan, both of which were normal.

I still get these headaches regularly, at least every second day. The only thing I have noticed that makes it worse is exercise, however light. My 10 minute walk to work leaves me in pain by the time I get there. The headaches are like a pressure, throbbing. When they're really bad the pain spreads a bit to over my right eye or out to my left temple, but always quite localized.

Two weeks ago I developed a twitch in the same (left) eye. It's not the twitch I usually get from lack of sleep where the top or bottom eyelid flickers a bit. I blink and my left eyelid kind of pauses half-way, or my eye will kind of do a half-wink randomly. I've seen it happen while putting on make-up, and it seems to be the middle of my top eyelid.

I take 100mg of Lamotrigine BID (for BPD), which I've read can cause headaches. I was taking it for a year and a half before the headaches started without problem. I get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated, eat well and live a reasonably low-stress lifestyle. Does anyone know what could be causing this, or if the two symptoms are even related?

There is a possibility that these symptoms of headache and eye twitch are a migraine variant. The chances are more because sinusitis and eye conditions have already been ruled out.
Lamotrigine can cause headaches but then you did not get any headaches even after taking it for 1.5 yrs. This requires further evaluation by a headache specialist. In the meantime you can try taking magnesium supplements. Deficiency of magnesium has been associated with chronic headaches.
Hope this helps!