Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache and swollen above ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache and swollen above ear

I have alopecia and a month ago was the last time i received cortisone shots for treatment. recently i have been having horrible headaches throughout the day. they have even woke me up. i have noticed that i have a swollen spot on my head and it feels as though there is fluid building up the spot is about an inch above my ear and is 2 inches wide and about 1/2 inch in width going from the top of my right ear towards the temple this is an area i have had hair growth problems with due to alopecia. This same spot is very painful to touch. it is painful to brush my teeth and stick my tongue out. i have had the headaches for about a month now the pain has intensified but the swolleness has remained the same when i visited the dermatologist who gives me the shots and explained my problem he said this is not any symptom or reaction of the shots. any ideas or direction to start looking at would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for writing in.
Painful swelling on the head can be due to head injury, sebaceous cyst or an enlarged lymph node. At the moment it seems unrelated to the steroid treatment. I would suggest you to take OTC pain killers and apply cold compresses on the affected part of the head and see if it helps.
Please get yourself physically examined by a clinician if the swelling fails to subside.
Take care!