Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache lasting for months

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache lasting for months

I have had a headache for several months now which moves about from one part of my head to another. Most of the time it is not very bad and may, for a few minutes, go away.  I do not feel it at night. Coughing gives me a really blinding, acute pain mainly in my forehead which gradually subsides to the usual 'flitting' pain over an hour or two.  Drinking water (!!!) fairly frequently seems to keep the sharper pains away except when I cough or bend down.  I keep hoping that it will just go away as there are some days when it is hardly noticable then other days when I am conscious of it all the time and feel to be under a black cloud.  Recently the muscles in the back of my neck and stretching down into my shoulders have become stiff and ache from time to time especially on days when the headache is bad.  
I am a very busy, active, fit 68 year old woman running my own business and not used to any illness neither do I have time to be ill.  I saw the Dr about it in January who gave me painkillers to help with the acute pain brought on by coughing, but she seemed convinced that I had sinusitis.  
Has anyone else had similar symptoms and what cure is there for it?
Hi...do u also get the pain when u strain?

Have u had a fall or been in a MVA?

There r several  conditions that could have the same symptoms so it is best to be rechecked by a dr....ask about a MRI of ur cervical spine.....

Good luck
"selma"
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Pain at the back of head or neck that intensifies on movement may be due to inflammation of the blood vessels of the head or bony changes in the structures of the neck. Anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants may help provide relief. However, if it persists, you may need to have this evaluated further by your doctor for proper management. Exertion Headaches may happen during or following physical exertion or passive exertion such as sneezing, coughing, moving one's bowels, etc. Majority of this is related to migraine or cluster headaches. But extensive testing is necessary to determine the headache cause and to rule out organic causes. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your reply and advice.  I shall make an appointment to see the Dr again.

I don't get pain when I strain but I do when I bend down (planting flowers etc) and sometimes I can feel every footstep.  I have not been in a MVA but I used to be a gymnast and had a number of spectacular falls when I was young.    

Thank you again,

"Julia"
Thank you for your reply.  Still have the headache!  

I admit to being frightened of what may be the cause so that is probably why I have done nothing about it for the last four months.  

The headache is difficult to describe to the Dr because it moves around my head so much.  Today it has mainly been on the top of my head with occasional stabs in my left temple.  Yesterday it was at the back.  Sometimes it is just a general dull ache all over - a feeling of heaviness. It does not really stop me doing anything although it does dull the pleasure in life.  Describing something so nebulous makes me feel rather stupid!

Fortunately I have not had a cough since January but at the time the pain was quite severe for hours at a time.

On the other hand the pain, while not going away, has not really increased in severity so perhaps it is nothing serious.

Thank you again,

'Julia'
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thank you for the update. Headaches are indeed very tricky to describe. Were there tests done or imaging studies performed in the past?  Try not to take over-the-counter medicines because this can lead to rebound headaches as well.  Another option is to have complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback therapy and other relaxation techniques. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you for your reply.  No, I have never had any tests except, I think, a blood sedimentation test in January which was equivocal - not really showing temporal arteritis but showing a possible tendancy towards it.  In the UK Drs. tend not to tell us very much and the trouble is we do not know the best questions to ask.  Our National Health Service is designed to get as many people treated as quickly as possible and not much time is allocated to talking to and informing patients - through-put is all. Private medicine is priced way too high for most of us as we already have paid for health care in our sky-high taxes.

I do not take over-the-counter medicines, have had my eyes tested, go regularly to the dentist every six months, checked for any diet changes and have given up alcohol.  I spend quite a lot of time in front of the computer (work) but gave it up for a week to see if that was a cause (it wasn't).  I exercise by swimming twice a week and look after a big garden so am fairly fit.

Thank you for the information about biofeedback therapy.  I will look at it and give it a try.  I am taking 5 grandchildren aged 3 to 8 years away on holiday next week for 10 days so it will have to wait until after that.
I will let you know how I get on.  

As you can tell I am not disabled by the headache but on the other hand it is just there all the time moving about round my head and spoiling my enjoyment of life.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I do understand what you meant about Health Services in other countries.Aside from drinking water, ice packs may also help provide relief. Imaging modalities such as Ct scan or MRI may help determine the underlying cause.  Open communication with your doctor is essential to help understand and manage your condition. I know this is not the norm in your country but give it a try. Talk to your attending  about any unclear answers and cause. Take care always and enjoy your vacation with your grandchildren. Warm regards.
“I’ve had migraine headaches since I was in elementary school. I was going to the doctor four, sometimes five times a month and having to get shots to get rid of these headaches because Ibuprofen, Darvocet, nothing worked to get rid of them. Dr. Cartwright put me on NeuroBoost and when I saw what was in it I thought, well, this won’t work at all, but it couldn’t hurt, so I’ll take them…I haven’t had a headache at all this month.”

Joann Stumberg

Neuro-Boost, you can find it online.
Best Wishes