Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache/pressure when lying on stomach

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache/pressure when lying on stomach

When I lie down to read a book with my son at night, I usually lie on my stomach, propped up on my elbows.  Over the past couple weeks when I've done this, I get this sudden sensation of immense pressure in my head.   The pain is primarily from the top of my head down to just below my eyes.  I also hear "noises" in my ears....like wind blowing or something.  It hurts to try and read to him, so I usually put my head down on the bed for a couple minutes, and it goes away.  I do not recall ever having these before.  Currently taking Wellbutrin and Cymbalta for depression, GAD and OCD.  Also taking Zyrtec for seasonal allergies.  I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and I do get headaches when I wake up, but I think those are more from the sleep apnea.

What could be causing the feeling of pressure and pain in my head when I lie down on my stomach?  Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi...it is possible that the odontoid is causing a CSF block with ur head and neck in that position.

I would suggest a MRI of ur crvical spine as well as ur brain to see what is going on....if it is a CSF blockage that would also explain the  "nosies" in ur ears.

I hope u find the answers...please keep us posted!!

"selma"
Hi, I was wondering if you know what the headaches you were getting are from, the exact same thing happens to me, and I get such a build up of pressure that me hearing goes, but this only happens when i lie the same way.If I sit up, it goes away
I was in a car crash last year hit my head, I was diagnosed with a minor concussion and soft tissue damage to my cervical spine (neck), I dont know if this has anything to do with it
Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is possible that your previous accident contributes to your symptom since post traumatic headache is common symptom after a head injury. Rest, muscle relaxant and pain medication may help provide relief. However, if it persists, further evaluation, including imaging studies and blood tests are important to determine the underlying cause. Check with your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have had back,neck and head pain since the accident,on and off,its not as frequent as it used to be,but there are some simple things that will irritate my back..I forgot to mention that I also had a thoracic lumbar spine injury (soft tissue). I have had acupuncture, anti - inflammatries, physiotherapy with two different physio's, tylex and tradol!!and im still the same.
I went to the doctor last week,and he made me feel like an idiot... I told him that when I lie down on my stomach and lift my head I get this pressure and pain and my hearing goes, he checked my throat, my ears and pushed his fingers under my eyes and told me I was fine.
I just think that I have done some nerve damage or something, and find it more frustrating than anything that I still suffer with it!

Thanks for replying! :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. If the physical examination was fine, then try not to worry about any damage. Nerve issues will be seen with direct physical/neurological examination. Continue your medications and observe for any additional symptoms. Take care and do keep us posted.
Ok I will thanks.
I am having the same experience as ljholder - all the same symptoms when lying on stomach on elbows when head is upright or higher. it is very intense pressure and pain. i've been avoiding the position but i think i'll see my doctor about it.  it feels like something is being blocked or pinched. i am on no meds and haven't had any head trauma. i'm a dancer - in good shape. i'll let you know what i find.
Hi there I'm having a problem when I lie on my stomach I have pressure in my head when I get up and walk it feels better when I sit down I get neck Pain that radiates to back of head n I mean terrible sweating from head to face been for xrays on spine nothing been for stomach xrays doc says wind travells up to my shoulders that what's causes the pain can any one tel me if dey have similar situtation pls
Hello I also have this issue. It is a recent event ever since my miscarriage but I think it is because of the accident from when I was 2 and broke my neck as I get older the injury seems to feel worse.. as soon as I can afford to see a doctor I will until then I can only try to avoid laying on my stomach
I'm kinda glad to hear all this. I'm not the only one. Sorry for all u.  It is extremely painful and irritating. My hearing his I get dizzy and oasd out if I don't caught it quick enough.  I'm getting my results back soon fir this. I'll let uaall know.