Headache that gets progressively worse...?
So I've had this headache for the past month. It is at the base of my skull and upper neck. It started as pressure, like the feeling of someone squeezing your wrist. Not painful, just annoying. As time went on, it began to get worse. Now it is a constant burning, numby sensation at the base of my skull/upper neck (like a sunburn, but no sunburn) and an ache that wraps around to my temples, still with the constant pressure. Combined with that, it feels like my skull is swollen, whenever I lean my head back it's like there is a big rock between my head and upper back.
I've noticed that it is better when I wake up in the morning, but as soon as I get halfway though 2nd period or to the beginning of 3rd period is when the burning starts. It's starting to freak me out. At first I thought it was allergies, but I don't think so anymore at all. Here is a list of what I'm feeling:
-Burning, numby sensation at base of skull/upper neck combined with pressure and a headache that wraps around my temples. It is getting worse as time goes on.
-Sudden uneven shoulders, my friends have noticed without me saying anything. (I was in a slow speed car accident over the summer, which was maybe 3 months ago. My shoulders were perfectly even before then)
-Numbness that sometimes runs down my spine.
-Irritability (I am usually a very tolerant person, but now I get annoyed almost instantly)
-Problems concentrating
-I've begun mixing up words more than normal
-Constantly wake up tired, and feel run down all day
-Feel like I have a fever, but my body temp is normal
-Suddenly can't tune my flute by ear (I've been able to do that for years now)
-loss of appetite
-WANT to go to the doctor, when I'm usually like "guys, chill. I'm fine" when my arm just fell off. I try to avoid doctors if at all possible.
There are a few more, but you get the picture. My parents think it's either allergies or that I maybe pulled a muscle in my neck or something, but I don't think that's it at all. I know if this continues for much longer I'm going to go to the doctor, but I just don't know how much longer I can take it. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Like I said, I was in a slow-speed car wreck and I'm starting to think that they are related.
How are you? DO you have history of migraine or tension headaches? Migraine variants such as hemiplegic migraine that presents with weakness and may mimic stroke symptoms. You may need to see a doctor or neurologist for proper evaluation. A complete neurological examination and imaging studies may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
I'm doing alright. I don't have a history of migraines (I'm 18, by the way. I realized I didn't post that initially) but my younger brother does so it runs in the family. I have had a tension headache a few years ago but other than that nothing out of the ordinary.
Recently my head has stopped hurting, but all the other symptoms remain. The one that has me most troubled is the mixing up words. It has begun to manifest itself in not only my speech but my writing as well. When I type I have found myself putting up a random string of letters that looks absolutely nothing like the word I'm trying to spell. However, when I read it I see what I intend to type. (My teacher pointed this out to me when I handed in a paper)
The most recent ones is the ones that really scared me.
I was taking a test, and for the life of me I could not distinguish the "B" from the "D". The order of the answers clicked but I couldn't tell if it was a "B" or a "D" (they were lower case). I really can't explain what happened, it was just strange. Then I was making my dad a present for his birthday, and I decided to draw his company name in stylized letters. When I asked my friend's opinion on it she told me I had drawn the "Z" backwards, and that it was cool. But I didn't mean to write it backwards, it looked correct to me. (I had to check my keyboard and sure enough it was backwards).

My mom said it may be a tension headache, but it feels nothing like the one I had. Could it simply be stress? It is my senior year and I'm in the process of choosing a college and applications, so that is a possibility.