Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache that travels down spine?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache that travels down spine?

I have been getting these headaches every so often, about five or seven years apart in the evening hours (8pm - 9pm CST), that start in the right side of my head.  It feels something akin to an ice-pick headache, but after reviewing the symptoms of those, that is not what it is since it travels.  It doesn't start behind my eye, but in the right hemisphere towards the middle of my brain.  While still throbbing with pain there, it spreads out to the entirety of the right hemisphere, then travels down the spine.  From there, it feels like it travels back up my spine to the left hemisphere where it starts in the middle and spreads its way out, just like it did on the right.  It normally lasts between 5-15 minutes.  Anyone have any ideas as to what this is?  The only other symptom I have is that my body contorts with pain and becomes inflexible during these episodes.  Any theory would be a good theory!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Was there a previous trauma to the head or neck? Pain at the back of head or neck that intensifies on movement may be caused by inflammation of the blood vessels of the head or bony changes in the structures of the neck. Anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants may help provide relief. Have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination and imaging modalities may be done to help determine the underlying cause. Take care and regards.