Headache when Bowel straining
How can I prevent this!!! I am on medication that is constipating and take stool softner to offset this , but even if I just use normal "pushing" for a bowel movement, i get an instant blow-the-back-of-my-head-off  headache!!!I  It dissipates after a minute or two but leaves a slight headaceh and dizziness for a short time.  Is this something i need to bother my doctor about?  thanks

Thanks for writing in.
Headache on bowel straining is known as exertional headache. These headaches are brief and severe and pervasive. Most of these headaches are benign and usually respond to OTC pain killers. However sometimes they may be a symptom of a serious underlying disorder like an intracranial lesion or CSF leak.
I would suggest you to take a fiber rich diet and mild pain killers and see if there is relief. If there is no relief it is advisable to consult your physician and get an MRI done.
Take care!