Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache with one alcoholic drink

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache with one alcoholic drink

In the past weeks I have gotten a headache in the back of my head after drinking one drink of alcohol, after the second it goes away.  What could cause this?  I am male and in my early thirties.
The headaches could be precipitated due to the alcohol and you should try and avoid it. You should take some painkillers the next time you have a headache and also try to have adequate sleep. Drink plenty of water and try breathing exercises. Listen to soft music or read a light book before you sleep. You need to see that you are not overweight.
hi,

Liver problems or hypoglycemia can cause headache after alcohol consumtion. Once you have ruled them out, the other is see if you are taking any medication that reacts to alcohol.Alcohol is also a migraine stimulant. So please consult a physician and get your liver enzymes and blood sugar test done at the earliest.
I too have been getting severe headaches, localized on the left side of my head, when I have had any alcohol at all. This can be even food that the alcohol is not cooked off from (like rum soaked pineapple I had the other day). MY headache is actually a sinus headache, and sinus pills do help to relieve the symptoms, but not much.  Other pain meds do nothing. I miss drinking the little I used to drink.  I'm 59 and in great shape, I mean no body fat. Could that be a factor?
Please help
cathy