Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache with sharp pain behind left ear.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Headache with sharp pain behind left ear.

I was just wondering my friend has been having "headaches with very sharp pain behind her left ear, gone one second and then a sharp, piercing pain for just a moment, then gone again" as it was explained to me.   I was just wondering if anyone would have any ideas on what it could be?
Thanks.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

Is this a burning or shooting pain? Pls elaborate.

Has your friend injured this side of his head lately?

Any change in sleeping position?

Any associated swelling, eye redness,eye tearing or nasal discharge?

Any hearing problems.  ear discharge?

Keep us posted with your answers.
Blank
Hi,

First thanks for your respond, Its more of a shooting pain rather than a burning one.

She has not had any sudden move mements or injury to neck or side of her head.  

No change in sleeping position.

Nothing has been said about any swelling, eye redness, eye tearing or nasal discharge so I would say, no.

Nothing has been said about hearing problems either.
Blank
Hi,

A sharp shooting pain may be nerve related. If there are no other symptoms like hearing loss, ringing in the ears, numbness in the face or visual symptoms then this does not sound very urgent.

What may be considered here is possible involvement of the occipital nerve or cranial nerve 5 ( trigeminal nerve). Although the common migraine may still be a differential.A visit with a neurologist may help asssess this.

How is your friend doing?

Is the pain severe enough to keep him from functioning?

If this is the case an immediate consult with a neurologist may be warranted for a complete neurological examination. An ENT consult for a thorough examination of deeper structures in the ear  may also help just to exclude other underlying conditions.
Keep us posted.
Blank
Hi,

She is doing fine, its not embolizing her or anything like that just irritating.  I'll give her the info and then she can decided what to do.

Thanks again
Blank
Hi,

Just implement some supportive therapy for the mean time while awaiting for a consult. A cool or warm compress may be able to help.A visit with an acupuncturist or an alternative medicine doctor may help supplement any drug therapy.

All the best!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Migraines & Headaches Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank