Migraines & Headaches Community
Headaches after accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headaches after accident

Hello -

I was in a car accident in November 2006. I was out of my vehicle assisting at an accident scene when I was hit by a car and was thrown against a concrete barrier. I had a large goose-egg on the side of my head as well as a black eye. Ever since this time, I have been experiencing some light sensitivity in my right eye, and I get migrane (migraine)-like headaches from time to time. These symptoms have become progressively better; they were very frequent immediately following the accident but have since lessened in severity and do not occur as frequently.

I am not sure what could be causing this, as there does not appear to be any structural damage to my eye... is this common after accidents such as this and can you point me in any direction in terms of seeking treatment?

Thanks kindly!

Shauna.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The accident took place more than a year ago and you have noted that the headaches are beginning to decrease in severity and frequency. I think this is no cause of worry. What to watch out for is any progression in the character and frequency of the headaches. Also associated symptoms like numbness, doubling or dimming of vision and other neurologic deficits warrant further investigation.

When was your last follow up with your physician?

Headaches after trauma especially after head injury  is expected. Examples of which is occipital neuralgia when one hits the back of the head.

keep us posted.I hope this helps.
I had a car accident in early Dec. of 2008. I was t-boned by a man in a pick-up truck. I had the right of way. In middle Jan. I started to get migraines very often, 2 a week and lasting up to 48 hours.
At this time they seem to be almost constant. I my younger years when my children were small I had migraines often and was on Meds to help with them. I don't know now why they are back . I don't want to wast time and money to go in if I don't have to. I work 7 days a week.
Thank you Annie