Migraines & Headaches Community
Headaches and Water

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headaches and Water

I am not a consistant water drinker as of lately.  I also have never consistantly consumed the daily amount of water needed.  I used to drink a average bottled water a day and had frequent headaches.  I stopped and the headaches went away.  Last week I had a cup of water and a couple hours later what felt like a tension headache coming from my neck up to my head was throbbing.  I didnt drink for a week.  I drank two cups of water last night and woke up around 3am with the same headache.  The water is not ice cold it's just chilled and I dont drink it fast.  I googled my problem and several people have asked the same question.  Is it possible to get headaches from drinking water?  I dont mean too much water, as I said above I only had a couple of cups.
Avatar dr f tn
Dehydration is a common cause of headache. But there are not enough studies proving that drinking water can lead to the development of a headache. Water is very important  for the proper functioning of the body. Headaches may be triggered by a lot of factors including the food you eat. Try to have a headache journal and write everything that you eat and do to determine the possible trigger. I suggest that you continue drinking water or fluids to avoid dehydration. If it persists, you may need to have this evaluated further for proper management. Take care and regards.
You didn't answer the question.  The person clearly told you that they had a drink of water in the middle of the night and got a headache.  They did not eat.  Read it again and answer it properly....Doctor!