Headaches and swollen optic nerve
I had what I thought was the worst migraine I had ever had about a month ago. The next day I had vision problems in my left eye.I went for a glasses exam and was told to wait a week and then see my GP if it wasn't better. He sent me to an opthamologist that day and the opthamologist said my optic nerve in my left eye was swollen. He sent me for an mri and it came back normal. I now have an appointment in 11 days with a neurologist. I have no idea what it could be...any thoughts?
Could be that you have high intracranial pressure. That would affect the optic nerve.
Horselip
How are you?Are there other symptoms present? It is good that the MRI result was fine. Papilledema or swelling of the optic disk may be caused by indeed be caused by increased intracranial pressure as mentioned by horselip. Other causes include malignant hypertension or thrombosis of the central retinal vein. Treatment of the underlying disorder depends on the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted with your neuro consult.
Thanks for the info!
I am still having vision problems, but the headaches are constant and horrible!
I started having another symptom. I don't know if it is related or not. I have started to "zone out". I know it's happening and most of the time I know when it is about to happen. It only lasts about 10 seconds at a time and happens maybe 5 times a day. My vision goes very blurry and I try to "snap out of it" but can't. Maybe it's not related at all but it just started happening and thought maybe someone would know what I was talking about. Thanks.
Thanks for your update. How are you? This could be related to your neurological symptoms or part of a migraine aura or possible seizure.  You may benefit from further examination such as EEG and other blood tests on your next consultation. Do keep us posted with your neurologist consult. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
the neurologist had a lumbar puncture done and everything came back in the normal range. i guess that's a good thing, but now we have to keep trying to figure out what's going on. i have an mrv on friday...that stupid tube! :(  i start to wonder if there is really anything "wrong" but these headaches are horrible and something caused my optic nerve to swell. hoping they find something soon.
Have they tested your blood pressure? Just found out, mine is sky high, causing terrible headaches, ear ache and some extra swelling of the optic discs. No one thought to look for this as they were concentrating on my IIH. Cath278.
mine is usually pretty good. last time it was checked it was 111/64.
Good to know that your blood pressure is fine. How was your MRV? MRV or magnetic resonance venography is used to assess abnormalities in the blood vessels. This is indicated also for patients with experience frequent headaches,  to detect or rule out blood clots in the brain. If there was a contrast agent used, you may experience a metallic taste in your mouth and in rare cases you may experience allergic reaction. Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
    my mom has the same exact thing.and she had over flow of fluid in her brain and in her spine. so she had to get a lumbare punchure in her back to drain the fluid and to check for any types of cancers.it sounds horrible but i hate to see her in pain,so now if the fluid in her brain dont go away she has to get a tube on the to of her brain down to her stomach to drain the fluid and shell have to have that for the rest of her life...... the doctors are trying to help her to solve this and i dont know if they can?
How is your Mom? I know how it feels to have someone close to you depend so much on  doctors and specialists. But try to stay positive and have an open communication line with her attending physicians. With what you have mentioned in your post, it seems that they are doing everything they can to help with her symptoms. If some management plans are not clear, ask for clarifications until satisfied because this helps ease any anxiety or worry. At this time, try to find support groups also in the hospital or in your area to help also. Take care and best regards.