Headaches following alcohol consumption ...
   For around three or four years now, I have been suffering from headaches some two hours or more after the consumption of any amount of alcohol - although typically as few as two drinks upwards of any kind of alcohol.  The headaches come on slowly but persistently and follow a line from the left side of my neck across the top of my head to just above the left eyebrow.  They are not sharp pains but more of a constant 'throb' and can go on for hours.  Pain relief medication does nothing and the only relief I can get at all is the application of something topical like '4-Head' or the American 'Head-On'.  Although I have been a reasonably 'active' drinker in the past, if anything now, at the age of 61 (male), I rarely have more than two drinks at a time ... which is why I'm surprised at the onset of these headaches.  My own doctor has, thus-far, not taken it very seriously and tends to take the line that, after years of 'getting away with it, maybe you've finally developed an allergy!'  
Symptoms:
After any amount of alcohol, the next morning I 'sometimes' have a terrible headache that can last for several days.  The pain is behind my left eye and in lower part of the back of my head where it connects to my spine.  It seems sinus related and I can tell that there is fluid in my upper sinuses and I suspect that it is creating pressure and thus my headaches.  Dark beer and whiskey almost always cause headaches.  Champagne almost always causes headaches.  Sugary drinks seem to cause headaches. I think the sinus pain causes me to tense up in the my neck and back of my head and causes kind of a vicious cycle of pain.  I've also gone to a chiropractor who told me that he thought that I had whiplash and that my neck couldn't hold up my head effectively.  He's done some adjustments but I've gotten headaches immediately afterward, so I stopped going.

Things I've tried that have 'worked' but not consistently:
Neck adjustments by chiropractor
Ibuprofen or aspirin before drinking and afterward
Claritin
Hydration
Multiple hot baths and showers with my head under the water (gives temporary relief)
Inversion - hanging over bed with my head pointed toward the floor
Heavy duty electric massager in sinus area and on back of head.  
Wet, hot washcloth over eyes and back of neck
Breathing steam from boiling water with salt in it
Sudafed - Antihistamines
Aspirin
Wheat beer instead of regular
Straight shots of clear alcoholic beverages (no mixers).  i.e. tequila, vodka, rum.  (Darker liquor seems to always cause headaches.)

My thoughts:
I think that weather, humidity, pollution and pollen are all contributing factors but not the cause.
All of the above 'cures' have helped at one time or another but the only thing that I've found that will get rid of the headaches is somehow draining the sinuses and getting oxygen to the sinus cavity.  The only way that I've found to do this is the put a heavy duty massager on my nose with a towel or something under it (sometimes causes bruising) and forcing air out my nose at the same time.  The vibration loosens the 'snot' and it comes pouring out.  I keep a roll of paper towels to collect it.  This is really gross, but it does work for me.  While I'm doing this I'm 'popping my ears' at the same time to get some oxygen into my sinuses.  Once my ears pop I usually feel better immediately but the headache only goes away once I get almost all of the mucous out of my sinuses.  I know that it's not good for my brain or my nose to have a huge electric massager on it but at that point the pain is so bad that I'll try anything to stop it.  I usually try all of the other 'cures' before I resort to this.

I'd prefer a less dangerous method of clearing the upper sinus cavity.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
I also have 2 day long headaches, around my right eye, after drinking as little as 1-2 glasses with dinner. One beer won't usually give me a headache, but 1 glass or wine will. It is worst if I start drinking on an empty stomach.

These only started a few years ago, I am a 51 yo female. I thought it was due to menopause, but apparently not from reading all the stories.

These headaches come in the morning, but I feel them coming on slowly. There is a mild nausea and a feeling of constant hunger, even after eating a meal. The headache will usually go away on the second day, after lunch. It seems that food is the trigger to make the headache go away.
I was hoping to find the magical cure by reading these posts, but it seems that we are doomed.
  I recognise that feeling Olive!
  Nevertheless, it's only by sharing experiences that we will eventually beat this scourge...and I know we will,,,eventually!
  Sounds a silly question, but what do the medics say about your particular systems - because they seem to vary slightly from the average ones listed here - i.e. the food references?
  Of course, there is probably no connection and you're probably enduring much the same symptoms as the rest of us.
  Speaking personally, I've had an interesting variation in my own situation since I changed seats in my living area so that, when I watch television (for example) I am looking to my left instead of my right.
  Sounds stupid I know, but my headaches have diminished considerably.
  May be coincidence...but .....?
This was the exact posting i was looking for!!  I am male 48 and i have had migraines since i was about 22.  Usually once a month or so, every two weeks.  For years i would drink almost every night, usually 4-5 drinks, and then party a lot on the weekends.  But it had little effect on my migraines.  Then i slowed down quite a bit for a year or so, and now when i drink i get a migraine the next day almost every single time!!  It is so frustrating.  I do take midrin and butalbital for my migraines and it works very well, but it is so frustrating to have to do go through it.  Have you experimented with any different types of alcohol?  Lately i have been having better luck with Grey Goose and orange juice.  Dave
   I did a precis earlier in this thread of the answers we'd had since I started it back in 2008 Dave and it showed that there was probably absolutely no difference in reaction to any kind of alcoholic intake.
   The reaction still came, albeit at different time intervals, after consumption of ANY kind of alcohol.
   The only constant appears to be that there are, possibly, basic underlying causal factors - maybe variable from person to person, maybe not - which are exacerbated by 'fermented liquor ingestion'.
   I know...I know...this doesn't really help that much, but it seems to be where we're at right now.
   In essence, I think we've gone through just about everything on here from symptoms to temporary cures...and the only thing we seem to be agreed on is that we all like a drink...and it's drink that is causing our problem!
   Nevertheless, as history will show, it's perseverance that eventually wins through.  
   Let's hope I live that long !!!
Great community you have going here.

I'm a middle-aged male, very fit and healthy all my life. My migraines began seven years ago. Finally after several doctors, blood tests, headache journals, myriad prescriptions, figured out the trigger was alcohol. An ounce and a half of vodka, Half a glass of wine, one beer, will trigger. The headache will begin, 24 to 48 hours later, last for three days.

Earlier in my life I was able to drink two to four ounces of alcohol without any headache whatsoever, not even a hangover. Of course as many of you know, these are much different from a hangover. Especially with the duration and the delayed onset. Kind of headache that a Tylenol 4 barely takes the edge off of. The other trigger for me is when I get a lot of chlorine in my sinuses after a lap swim or if I have a bacterial infection, such as Giardia. Fact, that's when I first got this kind of migraine, was with an episode of Montezuma's revenge about 10 years ago.

Very strange, nothing like this runs in my family.

Small dose (2.5 mg 3 times a day) amitriptyline is the only thing that has helped consistently but caused me to add 10 pounds weight gain.  On very rare occasion, I can imbibe if at the same time I am simultaneously physically active, such as dancing. Whatever, the most successful regimen has been avoidance altogether, or when I want to have one drink at a social occasion, I might increase the dosage of amitriptyline in advance, along with an NSAID.

He sharing your findings everybody! None of the doctors and neurologists I have seen can solve this. We must do it ourselves!

Couldn't agree more that we have to solve it ourselves.
   The thing that I find strange (and may add fuel to the conpiracy theorists) is that, in my limited experience, the medics usually rush to expound their thoughts about any relatively new health issues...but not in this case.
   And it's no surprise that you have no family history of this problem - neither does anyone else it appears.  Which all gives credence to the thought that this IS a very recent phenomenon.
   So... does the food industry hold the key?...is it pollution? ... or maybe something you wouldn't immediately think of, like nasal sprays (for instance)?
   As always, we persevere.
I think it is fair to say that none of us have found a solution, other than abstinence. For me there was one other way of avoiding migraines, and that was to drink regularly (in moderation). If I went 3+ days without alcohol then the next time would be high risk. Conversely, if I drank the day after a migraine then I would almost certainly be fine.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour - that drinking alcohol on a daily basis stops the extreme headaches?
This same exact severe headache just started happening to me within the past 3 weeks.  Happened with craft beer, wine, and then finally vodka.  Excruciating headache on the left side of my skull.  I've read through many of the posts and started tracking some of the different symptoms or causes that people thought might be the trigger.  Here are the ones I noted: sinus, posture, aspartame, gluten, HPV, candida

So I studied the list and thought about each one as it applied to me.  I do have sinus congestion.  My posture isn't the best and in fact I have had a bad knot in my shoulder blade that causes pain up to the base of my skull (on the left side where I've been getting the debilitating headaches after drinking).  
The third one is the only other new change in my life in the past few weeks: aspartame.  I had tried to avoid it over the winter by chewing Glee gum which does not have artificial sweetener.  Well, I ran out of that stuff and went back to my old favorite "5" gum, by Wrigley, which contains aspartame.  

I now believe it is directly related to this new headache phenomenon. On the past 2 headache occasions (both within the past week) I was on my way to meet someone for a drink on my way home from work so I wanted to freshen my breath with some nice minty gum.  I chewed some "5" gum immediately before the drinks.  And then the ensuing miserable headache occurred within an hour.  At the 2 hour mark, it was agonizing pain.  At the 3 hour mark, I was in a fetal position on the floor at home. (This was just last night).  And though I still have a mild residual headache and was ready to swear off drinking, I will wait a few days to make sure the aspartame is out of my system and then try to have a few drinks again.

I will post my findings to see if I'm headache-free after drinks (without aspartame in my system).
I have been following this discussion for some years now in an effort to find a cure for my headaches.
For me, it started about ten years ago, when I was 50, and has continued ever since...
Up to then, I could drink alcohol moderately without any problems, only getting a 'hangover headache'
after consuming (very rare) excessive amounts. The headache was always in the same place, across the right side of the head
and the pattern was always the same: one or two (usually only one) glass of wine, everything fine going to bed
but I would wake up with the headache and it would take 6-8 hours to dissipate, after taking several doses
of pain killers. The pain killers became less effective over time - initially just one dose would clear the headache
after an hour or two, then two doses took four hours to work and eventually the daily maximum dose working
in 6-8 hours. I went to my doctor on numerous occasions but he just fobbed me off, saying "Don't drink
and you won't get a headache". Eventually, that's what I had to do but then I found that other things started to
cause EXACTLY the same headaches - Chinese food (MSG, I presume), cheese, chocolate (especially in the evenings or at night)
and red meat (especially beef). It was all very frustating and I simply could not understand how things which I had consumed
all my life were now causing day-long headaches. I tried many of the 'cures' already mentioned in this topic but none of them
made the slightest difference. The headaches were caused by all types of alcohol - wine, beer, cognac, etc.
About two months ago, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) and given medication.
I began to feel 'calmer' after starting the medication and began to hope against hope that maybe the pills would
help with the headaches. After a week or so, I tried some chocolate one evening - no headache the next day.
I tried more chocolate on another evening - same result. I had some cheese on a few occasions - no problems.
I started to eat Chinese food again - no headaches. I dared to even eat some beef on another occasion - no headache...
And then (for me) the acid test: I had a glass of white wine one evening, followed by copious amounts of water -
no headache the next day. I tried a TWO glasses of wine another night (again with plenty of water) - same result, no headache.
Finally, I took the plunge and split a bottle of wine 50:50 with my wife at dinner one evening (something I had not dared
do in nearly 10 years!), followed by much water (a litre or so) - no headache. I am now drinking 'normally' again and
I am now (hopefully) back where I was ten years ago. The hypertension medication seems to have helped enormously.
I know that this will not be the solution for many of you but I wanted to share this experience with everyone
in the hope that some might benefit. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Mark for starting
this discussion and for staying with it for so long. My very best wishes to you all. Greetings from Ireland...
   That's pretty comprehensive Omega 53, but, speaking personally yet again, I'm also on BP medication (amlodipine) and I had been wondering whether this and other drugs may actually have caused my headaches rather than alleviating them!
   It's reallly gratifying to hear that you feel that your BP medication brings you relief - long may it be so.
   Nevertheless, overall, none of the threads we've had have addressed the perennial question of why this is such a comparatively recent 'phenomenon' ...i.e. no records of it until the last decade or so.
   My own feeling is starting to center more and more around things that have only more recently been introduced into our diets and lives in general as being the root cause - for example, food processsing / additives / pollution, etc., etc.
   Either way Omega 53, as you're just across the Irish Sea, I may well come and join you to crack a few of your BP pills along with a few pints of the black stuff!  Cheers!
Could be there was no internet med sites until 10 years ago ... lol ?
Mark congratulations for this forum. It is really an invaluable  source of information, full of people's experiences and pain. I would love to be a student of medicine and/or psychology and use all this information in my research! It would be also lovely to write a novel about every one of us who wants to get wasted and he can't because he or she gets a terrible headache right from the beginning.
Anyway, I would like to add only a little piece of more info to his endless thread...
According to my experience, headache is always related to a threshold of alcohol intake, which is an amount if alcohol during a certain period of time.  However, this is dependent on the time of the day when I have a drink. When I have a few drinks at noon or early afternoon, I rarely get a headache.  If however I drink at night fast and especially on empty stomach, next day -noon- I suffer like someone who never had a drink.  I also used to be a partier and be able to drink along with Irish guys for a couple of days but now it is like It was somebody else in my place. I believe it is a combination of age and maybe a change in lifestyle.  My painkilker is plain aspirin and tons of water. Also mesulid (nimesulide NSAID-excellent painkiller - would be nice if it wasn't toxic to the liver...)
Nice job Mark! Keep walking!
An update:

I did amitriptyline, with success for a year. It was the only thing that prevented the migraines. Unfortunately I gained 15 pounds and was groggy much of the time. Three weeks ago my neurologist switched me to butterbur extract, which seems to be working, without the grogginess, and I've shed four of those pounds. And have more energy for working out and other activities. Try it, it has no side effects for me. Just make sure you get it from a high-quality manufacturer, because if it is not formulated properly, it can cause liver damage.

Still a little too early to tell for sure, as we all know of the placebo effect. But I am cautiously optimistic, and the positive affect on my energy level of going off amitriptyline is definite.

Good luck to you
Re: your comment: "in my limited experience, the medics usually rush to expound their thoughts about any relatively new health issues...but not in this case. "

Hi asked my new neurologist this very thing. He said, paraphrasing: it isn't fatal and people seem to manage. Basically saying they have bigger fish to fry.  Which I vehemently disagreed because this affects work , home, fitness, social, sleep, weight. And with findings of moderate alcohol extending lifespans, it is robbing us of longevity as well as good times!

We'll keep sharing our findings and let them catch up. But at least they're now taking herbals more seriously now.
Looked this up as a fellow sufferer. Also have a varied health background.
Found some good answers through tons of research.
Think good information can be found in the book, Grain Brain, by David Perlmutter, MD. He is a neurologist and specialist in nutrition. His studies as well as many of the latest medical studies seem to point to Inflammation causing neurological damage. This inflammation is a result of long term diets of highly processed food especially forms of sugars/carbohydrates. Along with alcohol, aspartame, msg, and other toxins, these sugars cause the body to create free radicals instead of normal energy in the form of ATP. Over time they build up and cause a chain of chemical reactions in the body leading to cell damage and disease process. He describes Alzheimer's as diabetes of the brain.
The headaches seem to be related to migraines, which is really neuralgia-nerve pain. If one looks at the nerve involved in migraine it travels to the eye socket, edge of the nose (sinus-area), jaw and initiate from the top of the neck. They are associated with vascular/blood vessel constriction and then dilation. So, when one takes a triptan or other nerve medication in addition to an anti-inflammatory to decrease the arterial pressure in the area, relief is usually found. Neck structural issues add to the nerve irritation and so that explains why adjustments can help.
Recommendations by many of these medics are that we try to change average diet to more natural foods, vegetables, some fruit, fish and other healthy protein. A supplement of Omega 3 is highly important as it is a natural anti-inflammatory. And provides Essential fatty acids to repair some of the damage we have done. This will aid enormously in the diabetic condition. As for alcohol intake as a sugar, this may need to be reduced significantly, sorry to say. When you do imbibe, maybe try the triptan and Advil combo, but remember how hard it is on your liver and kidneys.  The timing can be explained for most of us because our diets over the last several decades have consisted of increasing levels of processed foods filled with sugars and preservatives. For convenience and taste. Trust me, I am a sufferer and as guilty as the next person for consuming this way.
Hope this helps.

I've been on hydrocodone for 2 years, am now totally addicted.  I've tried quitting but the withdrawal is too bad and I have to work - can't take a week or 2 off to detox.  I was concerned about my liver b/c my OB put me on an OTC called Remifemin (cohosh root) which also has a liver warning.  I asked my pain mngmnt dr if there was anything else he could give me, as I was worried about my liver.  He gave me Gabapentin.  I've read that it can help with opiate withdrawals and is good at pain management.  Just filled the 'script last night and it does make me feel quite dizzy and off-balance.  No hydro yet today but I'm ready to take some - this Gabapentin is kinda weird.  Anyone have any experience with Gabapentin?  I'd love to hear your take on this drug.  
I have good news for at least some followers of this forum.  
Histamine intolerance may be the cause of headaches after alcohol consumption because alcohol contains histamine (especially wine and beer).
It has other adverse effects, such as skin rash, bloating etc
Dietary changes improve the situation dramatically.
Also antihistamine pills.

If one eats food with little histamine in it, then he may be able to have a drink without suffering from headaches
Interesting.
I have been suffering from the same symptoms for 6months now.
I found that the only meds that help are antihistamines & Advil migraine.
I am relatively new member of this forum and I had not really read every single older post.   l looked more carefully at some of them the other day and I realized that histamine has been an issue for quite a long time.
There is so much information about histamine intolerance on the internet that one can become an expert by reading it.
It seems that many health problems that western medicine was not willing to address have a lot to do with  histamine and its metabolism.
Personal experience:
Apart from headaches after alcohol consumption, I suffered from atopic dermatitis (eczema) for long periods of time, meaning many many years. I tried all possible medication, without any success. Until one day, without heaving read anything about histsmine, I thought I should take antihistamines to see what happens.  I also quitted drinking alcohol to get a clean result -I did this for 5 days.   My eczema dissapead and never came back.  A health problem which was left untreated for years because no doctor said to me that my body may not be able to process histamine adequately. I felt so stupid that I could not think of this earlier in my life and I spent so much effort and money to cure something which had such a simple solution. After that I read quite a few articles on histamine and histamine intolerance and it seems that at least for me, all my health problems are related to it.  It could be genetic because my mother suffers from insomnia, itching, bloating etc (all symptoms of histamine intolerance) so now I am trying to figure out how to adjust my diet so that there is a minimum of histamine intake and what kind of supplements I shoukd take.
Hello all,

I just came across this thread today and was fascinated to find so many people with this issue.  I have been a drinker for over 20 yrs, I'm 43 now and have not had this pain until about 1-2 yrs ago.  I went to the chiropractor regularly for about 6 yrs and have noticed that the headaches do last a little longer since I stopped going.

Pain - ALWAYS on the left side, bottom of my skull and radiates into shoulder or slightly up my head.  also have pain on the left side of my sinuses up to my eye
Duration - anywhere from 2-8 hrs if I don't take anything, i.e. aspirin or ibuprofen
Circumstances - pain appears immediately after first drink, pain is worse with straight alcohol, not so bad with wine, I rarely drink beer so not sure if that's a trigger as well.  sometimes it hurts so bad I can't even focus.

Having an episode right now... going on 5 hrs as I have nothing to take right now.  Ibuprofen works best with almost immediate relief.  Also neck stretches and pressure applied to sinus area.  Had not been to a doctor yet as I was thinking it was just my particular issue, now I see that its not!  
Wow... lots of good stuff here.  I have read the whole thread.  I, too, have recently been experiencing similar issues, unfortunately, and I am a big wine lover.  In my case, it came on gradually- first I only reacted to "grocery store" or mass produced wines.  Boutique wines were fine.  Also reaction to tannic wines like Cabs and Malbecs.  Whites with heavy malolactic fermentation (buttery Chards) also were off limits.  I could drink high quality Sauv Blanc and Pinot Noir.  But then lately, even those wines cause my left nostril to clog almost immediately, and ringing in left ear along with head/neck pain on that side- always the left, along with dizziness.  I was told I had migraine with cluster features.  Alcohol is a trigger.  Why now?  I have spent a lot of time researching that.  For me, perimenopause is definitely playing a role.  As is stress and allergies.  I have bad grass pollen allergies, and right before this started up a few years ago, we got a pet rabbit that stays indoors.  I am allergic to the hay.  I have been prescribed a ton of steroid nasal sprays that help the allergy part, but do not seem to help the migraine part.  I think having the allergies stirred up makes the migraines worse.  I am also concerned about the longterm prolific use of steroid nasal sprays.  Supposedly they stay "local", but can and do get into your system to a small degree.  My theory is that these sprays, our foods with their additives, heartburn/reflux drugs such as Pepcid and Prilosec, and our general lifestyle today is messing with our beneficial gut bacteria.  If you do a search on gut bacteria and migraine, you will see that there may be a connection. As a matter of fact, if you test positive for H. Pylori (the bacteria that causes ulcers), medically treating for it with antibiotics has been shown to reduce migraine.  Medical science is finding the gut to be the "second brain".  So, I am currently researching to find the best probiotic and will give it a trial to see how it works.  I also find reducing gluten (not sugar, but actual gluten) helps for me as well.

As for the neck/sinus issue, I will say that it is widely accepted that migraine can cause pain/pressure/congestion in those areas.  Migraine is a neurological disease, and can cause all kinds of nasty symptoms, even without a headache.  I, myself, suffer imbalance and vertigo as part of my migraine disease.  I even had vision in one eye go blurry for 6 hrs, no other symptoms.  Was migraine.  

A few mentioned blood pressure treatment helped.  Well if you are taking beta blockers or calcium channel blockers (not what Mark46 is taking, amlodipine), you very well may have a reduction in migraines since these two classes of anti-hypertensives are used as a preventative for migraine.  I am currently taking a low daily dose of propranolol (Inderal), and it is helping with my heightened migraine activity.  I have not tried wine yet, as I have only started this and want to give it time to work.  I did try Nortriptyline, a drug similar to Amitriptyline (mentioned on here). I had bad side effects and craved sugar all the time, so got off it fast.  It will pile the weight on.  But it is also used to control migraines.  Someone else mentioned histamine.  That definitely could be playing a role for some, and histamine is also involved (along with other nasty substances) in migraine. I did find that taking some Benadryl before a few glasses of wine helped, but didn't like the dual sedating effects.  Diet can help- if you look up the Migraine diet, there are a lot of foods that can "add up" as triggers.  If you regularly consume the same type of foods, and try to have that one glass of wine, that wine might tripping the trigger and boom- you get a headache.  Unfortunately, it is also true that people can develop an allergy to something at any time in life.  My friend's grandmother developed a serious allergy to strawberries in her 70's after years of enjoying them.  Food intolerance is similar- it can develop at any time, but I do believe it is because your system is being "stressed" by something-  a food, an environmental factor such as an allergy, nutritional deficit, psychological stress, etc. The reason no cure is obvious is that it is most likely very individual- and different for everyone.  Elimination diets can work, but you have to really commit to doing it, and stick with it for at least a few weeks.  It would be rare that someone eliminates problem issues and is fine immediately.  It is all very frustrating- that much is true.  I have some amazing wines in my cellar that I may never be able to drink.
Hello All-
I realize it sounds bad saying this but, boy am I happy to see so many people sharing my pain.  In my case, as in many on this board, all it can take is 1 drink at times and the next morning (or 4-5 hours after drinking) and I have a throbbing migraine (imagine what they must feel like anyway) behind one of my eyes (switches back/forth). It's usually accompanied by nasal/sinus congestion and a flush feeling in my face.  

The puzzling thing is that it is not consistant.  Due to this, I can't consider giving up alcholol seeing as it such a part of my lifestyle so I'm willing to 'gamble' for now.  Seeing that I drink everything from wine to beer to liquor, I'm hoping I'll be able to eventually narrow it down.  My new years resolution was to chart it to try to determine which drinks seem to give me the headaches.  Another thing I've noticed is that, on average, the second consecutive day (and third, etc.) after drinking I don't have the symptoms... but obviously that is a slippery slope!!!

I've done some reading online and have diagnosed myself as being "Alcohol Intolerant".  It's the best explaination I can find... (from the Mayo Clinic website):
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
"Alcohol intolerance symptoms — or symptoms of a reaction to ingredients in an alcoholic beverage — can include:
•Facial redness (flushing)
•Warm, red, itchy bumps on the skin (hives)
•Worsening of pre-existing asthma
•Runny or stuffy nose
•Headache
•Low blood pressure
•Nausea
•Vomiting
Alcohol intolerance occurs when your body doesn't have the proper enzymes to break down (metabolize) the toxins in alcohol. This is caused by inherited (genetic) traits.
Intolerance reactions can also be caused by a number of other ingredients commonly found in alcoholic beverages, especially in beer or wine.  These include:
•Sulfites or other preservatives
•Chemicals, grains or other ingredients
•Histamine, a byproduct of fermentation or brewing
In some cases, reactions can be triggered by an allergy to a grain such as corn, wheat or rye or to another substance contained in alcoholic beverages.
Rarely, severe pain after drinking alcohol is a sign of a more serious underlying disorder, such as Hodgkin lymphoma."
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alcohol-intolerance/basics/definition/con-20034907
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

That last line is scary as heck, so at my next annual check-up I'll bring it up with my GP.
Hope that helps anyone & please share your thoughts on the Alcohol Intolerance diagnosis.  I'll share my tracking findings if its anything conclusive.
Found this thread and have to thank everyone. I started experiencing alcohol intolerance a few years ago. It has progressed to my not having a drink in months. Always get a headache in the same spot in the front of my head after drinking even one glass of wine. The headache always starts after I go to sleep and I am sick the next day with brain fog. Doctors always say don't drink, or I don't know why this happens. Routine tests show everything is OK which is great.I have been tested for allergies ( blood work) and will meet with the Doc next week. Histimine seems to be a problem. Migraines do run in my family. I also have enviromental allergies from ragweed, pollen, mites etc.
I had this same problem for 10 years or more. It grew worse and worse over the years.One drink would cause a 4 day headache. Finally I gave up trying new "remedies" a  few years ago. Advil, Ibuprofen, even Vicodin did not help. In November 2013 I had an idea, take 1 Aleve BEFORE a drink. and viola, I have had no headache since. I don't drink a lot, but I love a beer once or twice a week. I have not had more than 2 drinks in one sitting, and have had no problem at all. Really, this fixed it. 90% of the time I would have one beer would end up with a headache the next morning.
I have the same problem as Mark has described many times. I find that if I have a drink of any kind i get the headache the following day and I need to sleep it off the next day, even if I have a sip of vodka. Any alcohol in any amount seems to do it.

However, I find that I have drink with lunch, let's say a beer before 3PM, I am okay the next, though often my head will hurt and I'll be in a funk until I sleep.

So I wonder if this is interrupting sleep somehow.

Other things suggest it is a migraine trigger-- after all, traditional painkillers seem to do very little as with real migraines.

Maybe it's some kind of crazy infection! I haven't taken antibiotics for anything since this began and I wonder if --- but that seems unlikely...

Has anyone actually "solved" this problem? I think taking Aleve before alcohol is a bad idea as it could cause stomach bleeding. But I'm almost ready to try cause I'm fed up. At least then I could go out with my boo.

There are so many things I don't even know where to start. I have had this for over a year now! Anyway, sleeps seems to be the key for me, that is, not drinking anywhere near bed, by which I mean 6-7 hours at least. I noticed one other user mentioned this. This suggests linking it to sleep...

You may have something with the sleep idea.  I noticed also if  I had a drink earlier in the day, I would not have a headache the next day. Just an update, May 2015, no headaches since I pre-medicate with Aleve. Like I mentioned, 1 or two drinks a week is all I have.
Maybe I'll try the Aleve... Two days I had one single beer at 4PM after work and into yesterday evening!!! I had the pain. I took a double dose of aleve after that last bout and I got that tingly goodness you get when a pain is taken away-- it worked for about 2 hours, not completely but I noticed some real relief, then came back. Aleve is powerful stuff and I don't want to screw up my system otherwise with it, but now I dunno, if it works for you, it might be worth a try to take it BEFORE? I mean I'm looking at the can in my bridge, and the box aleve, back and forth right now... worth having a headache at work tomorrow? Ugh...

By the way Kander2, what you're saying about Preempting with Aleve is consistent with Migraine. For Migraine, the sooner after an attack you take an NSAID like aleve (or prophylactically) the better it is at dealing with the pain. Some doctors put chronic sufferers on Aleve daily for migraine. Just usually those people aren't specifically FEEDING themselves triggers right after they take it.

So for those of us saying that iburofen, paracetamol or aspirin don't help, well, that would make sense if it's a migraine. I'm thinking of going to a neurologist, but I know she'll say, "Don't drink." and not "Take stomach bleeding meds!" At best I'll get imitrex or something, also not sure I want to mess around with that and alcohol. If I have success with aleve I'll be sure to write about here.
A small update-- Tried taking Aleve before drinking-- so yeah, until it wore off I didn't have much of a headache. I found a double dose of Aleve can relieve my headache for about 1-2 hour after I take it then I'm back again. I had one beer yesterday after trying magnesium and an Aleve before hoping my heard would not hurt.

It hurt all last night, through my crappy sleep, and into today, over 24 hours later after just one beer.

I also take omeprazole as some people have mentioned they do too-- Could it be related to Magnesium supplementation? I found a case review on the FDA website saying that many taking PPI like Omeprazole have low magnesium-- and supplementing doesn't help. You must stop taking omeprazole for a week and supplement with magnesium in order for it to work out.

I've taken PPIs for so long, I'm afraid I might have withdrawl, but I'll try to see if I can stay off it a week despite undoubtedly bad heartburn I'm going to have. -- and treat with magnesium supplements. Without having my blood done to see if it's a problem, of course-- that might make sense. Afraid to go to the doctor and have him say 'stop drinking'. Duh! I know. I will. One day.

I'm also going to try antihistimines and sudafed.

Last time I did that I fell asleep in the middle of the day.

But, anyway, I just need times when I can have a drink and can risk ruining the next day-- which is never!

So if Magnesium deficiency is caused by PPIs we'll see. I haven't been off them for like 4 years so I'm kind of excited to see how my life and ... digestion might change.

I'll post back with results-- not really very hopeful, though!
Well, after all these months with no problem, it happened again. I did the usual, I took an Aleve, went out for wings and had 2 beers. The next day I had a small headache (the same one as I used to have, left side, dull ache). The following day, I had to leave work, and threw up twice on the way home. The headache lasted 3 more days, which I spent much of the time in bed. I am so afraid to try again. Maybe it was just a fluke, but 2 beers doesn't seem worth days of pain, and nauseousness.
I have had the alcohol related headache issues for years.  Finally, I started getting occipital nerve blocks every three months.  It works for me.    The pain stays away and returns as I get close to the three month mark.  I started going to a pain specialist and have been very happy with the results for about the last year.  For good measure, I supplement with DLPA.  Now I only get headaches if I go beyond just a few drinks (typical hangover).  I am going to try to move away from the DLPA and see what happens.  
Can't believe I'm back after posting for the first time in 2009 - what a clan of sufferers we've amassed here!

Since my last post I've successfully had a 4-year stint where I drank plenty of alcohol, headache-free. I thought I'd escaped the problem forever, until the headaches came back for a month or so - and then I was headache-free for a couple more years - and now the headaches are back.

So I thought this was some kind of periodical/phase thing that comes and goes, until I took more active measures to figure out this thing, given I now knew it was possible for me to drink without getting the headache.

I found that drinking small to moderate amounts of alcohol almost always causes a headache - my body begins to sober up quickly, but lacking the enzyme to break the alcohol down my blood gets poisoned and fires up the pain & the same blood vessel in my head swells up every time, and meds do not help, only time and sleep (but most of all I found that continuing to talk to someone over a cigarette (or none, just keep talking) gets my mind off the pain & rids the headache faster than just sitting there feeling each moment of agony, which keeps the headache going longer.)

Surprisingly, drinking a larger amount consistently without giving a chance for my body to start sobering up seems to let me bypass the headache phase and enter the drunk phase - pain-free.

Currently I'm in my headachey phase again, and I decided to do a test last week - Don't slowly drink a small amount in fear of the pain - but drink faster and more consistently til I feel buzzed - and really, there was no pain! Yesterday I attended an event and had a small amount to drink. The pain was strong last night. The point is - stopping too soon will flare the headache right up. At least in my case.

In addition, since my last post I've figured out that my headaches weren't tension headaches nor migraines, but occipital neuralgia. This is one-sided head/face/neck pain that is not exactly a migraine/tension/cluster headache.
This is an interesting forum. Would like to share what I have experienced and learned. I drink wine, mostly red, about 2 glasses 3 times a week. I now stay away from anything aged in American barrels, I noticed a worse headache from those wines. In any case, headaches got worse, and so did my back problems. I kept looking. Nothing worked for the headaches. What I found out that in my case the back issue is secondary, the main problem is the constriction of the blood vessels (had an ultrasound done) and therefore blood gets to the head slower. Even if I didn't drink anything, I would get a headache once a week, and it would be so bad, that I would periodically have to call off of work.
I was advised to take Vincamine and it worked very well for me. It's a vasodilator and since alcohol tends to constrict the vessels in the end, it made sense to take it to improve the blood flow. I am going to start taking it again. I didn't have the same effect from Vinpocetine which is what's mainly sold now.
I just read this entire thread.  Kudos to Mark for keeping this going.

I am a male, 31yo, and I get a headache from drinking alcohol 1 - 2 hours after consumption.  This can be lots of drinks or as little as 1.  Here are some things I have learned after roughly 5 - 6 years of dealing with this.

#1 - As you can gather, this can happen from a very very BROAD ranges for everyone.  Its legitimate to say Mark and I have the same symptoms, but from different triggers.  Just remember that as you read stuff and try and your symptoms to someone else's triggers.  Be truthful to yourself, and do some self research.

#2 - Its true most / if not all MDs will just tell you to stop drinking.  Don't hate them, Doctors are wonderful people who took on the hideous task of listening to people's crap for the rest of their lives.  Unfortunately research costs money, and most MDs are taught the same things over and over, and they honestly could not tell you otherwise.  Once in a while you will find some lone ranger who took a special interest, but like many other professions:  MDs are people too, and just because they are board certified, doesn't make them experts in curing.  In conclusion, be patient with MDs answers.

#3 - What is in your alcohol MATTERs.  This is the hardest part.  Research.  No all alcohols are made entirely the same.  This is where the 'broadness' of it all REALLY comes into affect.  "Hey man I had a beer, and nothing happened, but then I had another 1 the next day and boom, headache!"  Next Person:  "I dont get it with beer, but I got it with wine!".  Yet were all here because of, alcohol.  This is why its so hard for MDs to help you.  The ingredients used in the hundreds of thousands of drinks are what are causing your headache.  No one (honestly, unless they are doing their PHd on it) wants to sign up to figure that out.

#4 - I had sinus issues for a long time, kinda still do.  I had a septoplasty done (I had a deviated septum).  Check this out - I had a Sinus Catscan, and the Radiologist noted I had a deviated septum.  3 MDs looked at this, and it wasn't until I explained I kept getting clogging on my right nostril that they tied this to my headaches.  So be very critical of your results, and ask your MD to walk you through the results.  For reference, at the time I worked in a Primary Care office, and was surrounded by 45 General Practitioners.   Who are all wonderful, helpful people, but just to give you an idea, you (like Mark here) have to keep at this.  Don't expect someone to have a magic cure.

#5 - You (like me), have just built an allergy/intolerance/recently come across a new health challenge that is making this happen.  Cross reference all that alcohol (or what comes in the drink they are mixed with) trigger, and just make a checklist and rule out items.  Again this is another time consuming event.  For me it was histamines.  They triggered my sinuses and explained why even pain killers either barely, or only temporarily subsided my pain.  I now take ani-histamines 1 hour before alcohol consumption, and even then it doesnt work 100%, but it also depends on the type of drink I am in taking.  For example just last night I had a glass of white wine.  No issues at all.  Red wine?  Nope!  Those are just too heavy.

As you see, dealing with this issue much like reading this reply, f***ing *****, and pretty much you just give up halfway through.  (welcome to why MDs don't want to take this on).  You interest level in years of work, is the same as theirs.  If this thread is any evidence, its that everyone's situation is similarly, different.

Read as much as you can, be critical of yourself and your efforts into actions, and I am sure, much like me you will find a healthy/reasonable solution.

Good luck, and post here rather then just reading.  Even if you think you have no value to add, someone out there is much like you, and would be encouraged to hear your story.  I know I was, by everyone elses.  

Isn't the internet great?
I have only scanned through, and read a few posts.  I too, (surprise, surprise) suffer from these nasty headaches.  When I was younger, I could keep up with the best of them, but after children, etc., drinking cut back, obviously.  Now, at 43, if I have a glass of white wine (red has always given me headaches) or one cocktail, I will feel the headache coming on, within hours. My neck gets stiff, the pain travels up the back of my neck, usually on one side, to the top Side of my head, and to the center of my brow line...where it meets my nose, but still, the pain stays on one side. Usually stopping right under the inner corner of my brow. Pinching it, or applying pressure there helps...but not a fix. This is so frustrating.
Has anyone tried N-A-C (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)? I've got the same problem and read that N Acetyl Crysteine helps build up glutathione which breaks down the toxin acetaldehyde produced from alcohol consumption. I think I'll give it a shot!
After reading the latest on NAC, I'm retracting my statement about giving it a shot, and possibly tossing it in the trash.
Hi guys,

I have been tracking this thread for awhile, and after quite a bit of research and talking to great doctors, I am sure that what I Mark and many others have been experiencing is unfortunately migraines.

Rather than justify all points, I would like to say that really I am 99% convinced at this point.

The best treatments are then:

Head on/ Tiger Balm
Aleve 600 mg as soon as the attack starts then 600mg 6 hours later no more than 9 days a month
A good night's sleep

Triptans may help, but can cause rebound.

What's happening is that alcohol is a trigger, or items in alcohol are triggers-- that's why I was getting headaches even with non alcoholic beer-- fresh fermented things, tannins, cogeners all CAN cause migraines.

Triggers are different for all, so experiment. Read a book, not the net, and find a neurologist.

Good luck treating. I'll come back if I am able to control this with diet or whatever.
Hello there, I too have these types of headaches over 25 years now and all alcohol related.
1 to 2 glasses of white wine and end up with the 4 day pulsating debilitating pain. I just wanted to see if any of you also experience the pain in to one of your molars/premolars??? I can almost draw a line from right or left hand side above my temple right down into my jaw and into the tooth. My head and tooth pulsate! I can never lie on that side of my face in bed.
I have tried so many things over the years and after some terrible episodes maybe a Christmas party or a very special occasion where I had more that 2 glasses and was very merry! and the next 4 days were just utter hell on earth I have stopped drinking and tell myself I will give up alcohol............. but in time would tentatively take a glass or two at some event.
I am now thinking of totally giving up alcohol. Having read most of the posts here and knowing what I know it seems to be the best solution. However life without a drink now and then seems miserable. I cant really see any alternative as at this stage and having tried most of the mentioned meds on this site I just dont know any viable alternative. I think I will have a rather sad old age as the mellow feelings and creative and enlightening conversations that can be drifted into while drinking will be no more. Hard to bite that bullet!
Over the past 2 months I've been struggling to learn about a new reality.  I'm in my early 50's and have enjoyed IPA's and red wine for many years.  2 months ago i began to experience debilitating headaches.  The first one felt like a bad hangover, but only after a couple beers.  Over the next few days these progressed to the point to a visit to the emergency room for evaluation.  

As I started feeling better on and off it took me a while to notice my relapses were associated with having a beer with friends.  I began to read and research my own triggers.  These days it seems anything over 2 drinks will cause a minor headache.

I'm happy to learn it's not a tumor (Kindergarten Cop Pun)  is helpful, but I miss my red wine and IPA's.
They aren't quite in the dark. The main problem is that, while they have good knowledge of *statistical* efficacy of a given treatment for migraines - i.e. what treatment seems to work most often for the largest percentage of people - migraine in particular has wide variance of behavior between individuals. It's just impossible to guarantee a treatment to an individual sufferer.

The best you can do is to have the patient run down a list in descending order of what seems to help the most people, and hope they run across a treatment that they respond to without wasting too much of their time.

This type of general information is easily available online. Working one-on-one with your doctor will (hopefully) help you zero in on an effective treatment for you as efficiently as possible and with regards to side effect and other health issues particular to your medical history.
I've made some progress]

rmsmi I have tried that supplement and thought for awhile it works, no but now I'm just not so sure--

Dbbjfields - this is EXACTLY the pain that I have.

After going to a headache specialist and my headaches getting worse, I believe I have hemicrania headaches-- you can try treating them with indomethacin.

As for supplements, I have tried everything, and the only ones that helps are

Ginger
Turmeric
Boswellia ]

I've also found using the TENS machine is the equivalent of massaging my neck constantly, if you can get the right spot. -- this can also be dangers if you are zapping your spine so be careful

Boswellia appears to work similarly to indomethatcin-- Be careful with indomethacin as it causes upset stomach and screws up your stomach lining, bad news if you're ingesting lots of alcohol. I would take 1300 or more of boswellia extract and maybe 600-1000 curcumin with fats and pepper to help the body absorb it-- some days it seems to work wonders other days i'm not so sure. Do all with caution.

I think this is really is all part of an underdiagnosed headache type which is rarer than migraine or may coincide with it.

I have been suffering with migraines from drinking even one glass of wine.  I started taking famotidine (an oral antiacid) prior to any wine consumption and I have not gotten a migraine since.  I am a nurse in a chemo infusion clinic, and we often given famotidine to prevent a reaction from some infusions of chemo, and my coworker suggested I try famotidine prior to wine consumption.  Well, guess what, it worked like a charm and I feel like I have my life back.  I was almost ready to quit drinking all-together!  I hope this helps someone who loves wine, but is almost ready to give up!
Burnhag, famatidine is a histamine H2 receptor antagonist and may be helping your histamine intolerance. Do you get headaches from some foods? Some foods have high levels of histamine as does alcohol. See my post below.
Update on the struggle with the alcohol intolerance. I have recently seen an allergist and learned I have food allergies. In addition, histamine intolerance could well be an issue. Alcohol increases histamine in our bodies and some people do not have the capability to break it down--DAO enzyme Even a small amount of alcohol could cause a reaction. Many foods also either contain a lot of histamine or cause a reaction. Keep a food diary, research histamine intolerance and see if there is a correlation.
@nickeljeff - good suggestion, but my head, for example, hurts only after I consume alcohol, about more then 0,25 dl of beer or more then 0,15 dl of wine (as a rule of thumb), not after I consume other food that is full of histamine.

For me it is a good shoot though as I am otherwise allergic to histamine (slightly) and mites (largely).

I found out that drinking lot of water (which can be realated to widening of arteries, which shrink by the effect of alcohol - they basically dehidrate), especially mineral of water, and eating refreshing food (salad, ice cream) helps, but usually it only prolongues the effect.
I was in the same situation. I am a 24 year old female, I used to be able to drink alcohol all the time with no issues. It was not until last year that I started getting migraines immediately after having 1 drink. I experimented with everything, I heard that taking Zinc an hour before drinking helps your liver produce an enzyme that helps process alcohol better, so I tried that, but it was of no help/didn't work. I did research on what alcohol does to your blood vessels, and it dilates your blood vessels. I am a heavy coffee drinker, and the caffeine in coffee constricts your blood vessels. So having those two might not be the best idea within a 24 hour period, since the two conflicting processes might cause a migraine. I quit my coffee addiction, and now I am happy to report that I do not have migraines after drinking anymore. My experience may not help most of you, but I thought it would be worth telling if it might help at least one of you.
Wow. Surprised to see that so many people have the exact same symptoms as I do. I'm 49 and have been a moderate drinker all my adult life. I even brew my own beer. I have a very high tolerance and rarely experience hangovers. About six months ago, I started getting a bad throbing at the left base of my skull anytime I drink more than a beer or two. Analgesics do nothing to alleviate the pain. I'm an Ironman triathlete and an ultramarathoner and every physical and lab test proclaims me the picture of health. Just don't understand...
I have exactly same symptioms for a few months now at age 69. Onset is about 8-12 hours after drinking, always left side behind ear where skull meets  muscle. Source area is tender to touch over about 9 square inches along bone. Dissappears spontaneously, but slowly. Always at night, independently of pollows, slerping on back or side. I believe lack of sufficient hydration may be a factor or the root cause, but that seems inconsistent with the lack of symmetry.
I have exactly same symptioms for a few months now at age 69. Onset is about 8-12 hours after drinking, always left side behind ear where skull meets  muscle. Source area is tender to touch over about 9 square inches along bone. Dissappears spontaneously, but slowly. Always at night, independently of pillows, sleeping on back or side. I believe lack of sufficient hydration may be a factor or the root cause, but that seems inconsistent with the lack of symmetry.
Read all entries ... histamines seems to be a likely root cause. When I was young growing up on a farm, I got stung often without much reaction ... same thing with almost any amount of alcohol. Today a sting causes huge swelling, and alcohol seems to cause this problem, suddenly at age 69.
One Benadryl last night and about 1/2 hour later pain stopped and then the tenderness stopped ... went back to sleep.

Normally this pain lasts hours (after drink two or more glasses of wine), but always goes away by daylight. Nothing I had done before would lessen this pain. It is not minor pain, it wakes  me up and prevents me from going back to sleep. Very strange.

I am otherwise healthy and do not have any prescription drugs and do not take any other drugs ... other than red wine :)

I hope someone else who has this very specific syndrome gives this a try to see if it works for them.
Ibuprofen also works.

This article explains histamine intolerance:

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11175/everything-you-need-to-know-about-histamine-intolerance.html

Basically alcohol is both a source of histamines and blocks DAO which is responsible for neutralizing histamines in your body.

Common symptoms of histimine intolerance are headaches, migranes as well as tissue swelling.

For me apparently always on left side of neck where neck meets skull about 8 hiurs after excess alcohol consumption.

Just a guess.

Could it be toxicity?

Thank you for this forum, Mark46.  I too suffer from this issue.  Wicked right side of the head from shoulder to above and behind the right eye after just a couple of alcoholic drinks.  While I've experienced that same type of headache (off and on) since I was 12, up until the last couple of months, I could attribute that to hormonal / menstrual issues.  Now, they are clearly brought on by alcoholic consumption, whereas there hadn't been that correlation before (been drinking recreationaly for about 22 years now).

I did want to mention that I am 43 years old.  That seemed to be a magic number / age when I was reading these posts yesterday.  

Additionally, I know there was a theory floated on here as to whether there could be an environmental cause with someone mentioning metals, for example, and with Mark46 repeatedly questioning why this seems to be a 'new' problem.

I don't know if I have the answer, but I feel like I'm starting to stumble towards it.  Within the last year I've noticed that I can no longer tolerate caffeine (I was getting terrible silent reflux from even just one cup of decaf a day).  Once I cut coffee out - no problems.

Next, I found some lipomas (non-cancerous tumors) on my right ribs.  The Dr. tells me these are just encapsulated globs of fat, however, there are plenty of others (internet, etc.) who report that these are actually toxins that the body could not eliminate through normal means (filtering in the liver, elimination, etc.) so 2nd best is for the body to surround those toxins in a glob of fat and encapsulate them so they cannot damage the body.  Finally, most recently (last couple of months?!?) I've experienced the symptom of alcohol consumption throwing me into headache hell land.

As to the cause ... there was a time last year when my family was renting a home down the street.  The landlady was very cheap with the heat and as a result we NEVER opened the windows.  When we moved (late January) we realized there was mold growing in at least 2 of the rooms - so bad that we had to throw away some of our furniture.

I work at home and because it was winter, I only left the apartment sparingly.  I believe the mold may have caused the lipomas and perhaps the other toxicity in my system which has now lead to my body's seeming inability to filter out other 'normal' toxins (caffeine, alcohol ...).

So for my part, I'd like to know if any of you:
1.  have also recently experienced caffeine intolerance
2.  have lipomas
3.  have been exposed to mold

As far as a 'cure':  I'm working now to de-toxify as much as I can.  I've moved to a diet made up mostly of vegetables, I'm taking kefir once a day and apple cider vinegar once a day and I plan on introducing some anti-oxidant focused drinks .. Acai?  Pomegranate?  Coco-fusion?  

We'll see how it goes.

Yours in solidarity - Jacqueline
My husband (29) has the same issues that started a couple years ago. He used to be able to drink all the time, without having these headaches but now, even after one drink, he get severe headaches that sometimes lasts for days. These usually happen almost immediately after drinking.

Some other details about him:
- He was diagnosed with high blood pressure which he takes medication for daily (he says this used to help with his headaches, now not so much).
- He has very bad allergies. He used to use this nasal spray a lot, but has since limited usage to once a day. He also does take OTC allergy medicine daily.
- Read in one of the other comments about limiting the amount of coffee... we may try this. He drinks coffee daily.
- Also read about having a better diet, and we'll try this as well.
- He states that sometimes these headaches will leave temporarily, but then return. He does take Advil/Tylenol/pain killers, but he states those don't really work.

Wish we knew of a solution.

Some other details about him:

Wish we knew of a solution.