Migraines & Headaches Community
Headaches from Lying Down

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headaches from Lying Down

I have had migraines since I was 15 (I'm 39 now) and in the past 5 years, have been getting bad sinus infections. For the past year plus, I have been waking up with pressure in my head - between my eyes/above my eyebrows, and right above my neck on the back of my head. I also have this new random tingling/pulsing sensation on the bridge of my nose (not present all of the time, but alot of the time). Sometimes this pressure worstens and leads into a migraine. Other times with OTC drugs, it might go away. Very rarely do I not have this sensation in the morning. I have just returned home (elevation 8000 ft) from a trip (sea level), and my morning headaches have been horendous. As soon as I lie down I can feel the pressure building. After falling asleep, I wake up (maybe 3 hours later, maybe in the AM) with very intense pressure. The ONLY thing that has been helping is my IMITREX injectible shots. It seems once I take one, if I stay up from that point on, I am fine for the rest of the day. If I take one in the middle of the night and lie back down, the pressure comes back by morning.
I did have a CAT scan done last month because I thought that the pressure was potentially from my sinuses being blocked, but my results were normal. And I DO sleep all propped up because I am paranoid that lying down flat I will actually make it worse. I am to the point now where I can't sleep thru the night without being woken up by the head pressure. I don't know where to go from here. HELP!