Migraines & Headaches Community
Headband headaches and migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headband headaches and migraines

I am almost 14 and have had one migraine in the recent past. I
was wearing a headband that day. Ever since that first migraine
my headaches have been frequent, and im not really sure how to
describe them. But, i often have them when i wake up, or when
there is sudden source of bright light. The main cause of them
though, seems to be my headbands. They are the stretchy elastic
ones, not the hard ones. I try and drink plenty of water, and
take Tylenol, but nothing seems to make them go away. They fade
on their own, or go away maybe 30 minute after i take the
headband off. I am afraid something may be wrong, because the
headaches appear only about 45 seconds after i put the headband
on. Could i be squishing something that shouldn't be there?

I have also been getting tons of muscle spasms. I have had the in my left eyebrow, my knee, my calf, my lower back, and one in my neck.

I need to know whats wrong with me i think i might have a brain tumor.... is it possible??
What you describe are - external compression headaches. These are seen in some individuals secondary to sunglasses, hats or headbands use. They are not an indication of an underlying brain tumour. The treatment lies in prevention of the cause. Avoid wearing headbands and the headaches will cease to appear. Also adequate sleep and plenty of fluids would be helpful. Avoid alcohol and smoking. If the headaches still persist consult your physician. Goodluck.
Hi Sunny,

Was it you that asked this a while back?  Did you test not wearing the headbands?  Tell us what happened.  But to me it seems like you are still worried about having a brain tumor.  Sunny, I'm a mom so take this from Dr. Mom.  I think you have some anxiety going on.  It is very common for people with migraines to have anxiety.  There are some fancy neurotransmitter responses that coordinate the two that I won't bore you with.  The odds of you having a brain tumor are really, really rare.  My daughter could never wear those headbands because of her migraines.

First, is it only the brain tumor issue that you are worried about and nothing else?  If so, tell your mom you really want to make an appointment with a neurologist.  Even a quick c-scan would then ease your mind.  Now, Second do you worry or dwell on things like maybe getting in a car accident, dying, something happening to your parents, fear of elevators, or bridges.  Remember, at your age your harmones are going crazy - which is actually great - it means your normal.  But harmones also make anxiety worse and anxiety can also give you a headache.  But the fact that you have a health issue and you are trying to understand it means you are taking control of your health and that is empowering.  Write back and let us know how your feeling.
Yes wearing headbands can cause migraine so i suggest you avoid wearing them completely.If tylenol is not working for pain you can consult your physician about other treatment options like imitrex and zomig. Stress and anxiety can also cause headaches like these. So try to relax, sleep at normal time, eat regular meals and maintain hydration. I hope you feel better soon!