Migraines & Headaches Community
Headbands cause headaches and migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headbands cause headaches and migraines

I am almost 14 and have had one migraine in the recent past. I was wearing a headband that day. Ever since that first migraine my headaches have been frequent, and im not really sure how to describe them. But, i often have them when i wake up, or when there is sudden source of bright light. The main cause of them though, seems to be my headbands. They are the stretchy elastic ones, not the hard ones. I try and drink plenty of water, and take Tylenol, but nothing seems to make them go away. They fade on their own, or go away maybe 30 minute after i take the headband off. I am afraid something may be wrong, because the headaches appear only about 45 seconds after i put the headband on. Could i be squishing something that shouldn't be there?
Tags: headband, Headaches, 14 years old, Migraine
Yep, it sounds like the headband it a TRIGGER for a Migraine for you.  I am pretty sure you are NOT squishing something that shouldn't be there.  I highly doubt you have a tumor or anything scary.  You really need to tell mom or dad to take you to a board certified neurologist for a work up.   My daughter started having migraines at eleven and she was petrified to go.  I explained to her that all he makes you do is touch your fingers to nose, jump on one foot, tippy toe around the room.  I'm not joking that is the exam.  She came through it almost laughing.
She too has the bright light issue.  Before I can turn any light on or off, I have to tell her so she can put her hand over her eyes.  FIRST, ASK MOM OR DAD - but try Advil (eat something, I don't know if you get nausea from meds).  The water is great.  Do you have the list of foods that can cause Migraines.  Starbucks can be a big no-no if you get those heavy coffee/chocolate drinks.  Don't worry, I have a family full of Migraine sufferers and you fit the mold - better to ease your mind with the doc.  Feel free to ask more questions, I can dig up the list of foods if you need it.  Good Luck!
hi,
yes it can, but also lot of foods, emotional and physical stress can precipitate an attack. You can put ice packs and sit in a dark room when you are having an attack.Also ask your parents to schedule an appointment with a physician.