Migraines & Headaches Community
Heart Beats and Migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Heart Beats and Migraine

I have had migraines with aura since the time that I was 16... (now I'm 32) and I've always had an irregular heartbeat (skipping or missing a beat).  I recently saw a program on Discovery Health linking irregular heartbeat and migraines.  Does anyone know the likelihood of this?  
I have just recently began experiencing migraines with aura and have an irregular heartbeat also. I took my first migraine 4 months ago and it has still not left me. I have had a headache daily since then, combined with light-headedness, sore neck, heat behind left eye and strange tingling sensations. I have noticed since the migraine strated that i have been more aware of my irregular heartbeat. I get palpatations and can hear my heart skip a beat in my head. I wouldnt be atall surprised if an irregular heartbeat is linked to migraine. I am seeing my doctor on Monday and will ask her about this.
In using the term "Migraine" we're covering a broad range of diagnoses...however where you are speaking of the classis vasospastic migraine wherein the veins and arteries dialate and then spasm shut....yes I am 100% convinced (personal opinion) that the coronary-vascular systems in our bodies do not differentiate between vessels. In other words for some one who is suffering vaso-spasm related desease....I feel its the same mechanism whether occuring in a carotid artery (supplying head blood flow) or coronary artery(supplying heart's flow) or other.....If you research vasospasm you may find some research relating magnesium..and ask your doctor about adding Slo-Mag to your routine...but it sounds as though further work is needed to pin point what's going on. What I'm speaking of here isnt related to arrhythmias or tachicardia...so again please let us hear after your Cardio workup, ECG, as the symptoms you are describing overall may be related to TIA, or other urgent indicators. Best of luck
I had Superventricular Tachicardia.  My heart would race, I would hyperventilate, then most of the time I would passout.  I had heart surgery when I was 15 to correct this irregular heartbeat.  Luckily, it was successful.  

When I was 16, I had my first baby boy.  After having him, I started getting migraines.  The first one I ever had lasted over 48 hours.  I had to get a shot to get rid of it.  
Since then, I've had too many to count.  I've tried several different medications over the past 13 years.  A few years ago, it got to the point where if I used a med to get rid of the headache ... I'd get a rebound headache the next day.  The cycle didnt stop unless I didnt take pain meds. Maxalt Melts were the best for stopping the migraines, but after using them for awhile, I started the rebound headaches after using it.   -  Plus I take a muscle relaxer for my neck.  My neck knots up along with my migraines.  I have to use an ice pack for my neck.

Now I take Amitriptyline (Elavil) 25mg daily,  and Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300mg daily to prevent my Migraines.   I started with the Amitriptyline first ... and it worked alone for almost a year, then I needed to add the other med to prevent the headaches more.  I do still get migraines every now & then, but they are not as severe as they use to be.  I can actually get up & tend to my kids & do other things (not just in the bed like before).  

Before I started those meds,  I was getting up to 6 migraines a month.  The BAD ones that keep you in the bed (no light, no noise, & sick to stomach).  After I started taking the Amitr... med, they slacked off to once a month, then once every other month ...and so on (but they were less painful).  They became a little more frequent after a year, & that's when I added the Gabapentin.  This helped even more.  I do still get small migraines, but they usually follow a sinus headache now.  I have bad sinuses too.

I treat my migraines with Advil or Tylenol Rapid Release ... and a 1/2 muscle relaxer (if I have any - I'm out right now) ... and an ice pack.  Sometimes I just have to sleep it off, if the over-the-counter pain meds dont work.  

If anyone knows of a migrain pain med that works without getting rebound headaches,  please let me know !!!!   As infrequently as I have migraines now, I think I could use something without rebounds.