Migraines & Headaches Community
Herniation and csf leak question

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Herniation and csf leak question

This may sound ridiculous but if you have a csf leak for a long time will your brain herniate? If so does this happen over time or acute? I am very much afraid of this because they can't find what is wrong with me yet and the pain gets worse everyday. I have not have the CINE MRI yet.

My spinal tap pressure was noted fine by the hospital.
anyone?
What do you mean herniate? blow up or something?
if you have a small little opening in the dura and your pressure is not thaaaat bad you can go on and on for years with a small csf leak. I've had two repairs that have not held. Heck this has been going on now for six years and I know of many others who have them.

The larger issue has to do with why you have a leak to begin with..is your cranial pressure too high for example. And yes that can cause problems. Your spinal pressure was measured as ok right?

The concern with leak is that is is an opening to infection aka meningitis. low pressure can cause probs too.
Not blow up but I have heard of certain herniations that are concerning.

They are not sure If I have a CSF leak yet but it questionable..the pressure they
said was fine...but that was recorded a year ago. I guess its more of a fear now.

they have not found anything abnormal on my mris so far but again that was a year
ago...i have terrible symptoms and pain but no answers.
Sorry about the pain that you are in. Believe me i know that pain and it is awful!

Do you think that you have a cranial, neck or spinal leak? Each one presents differently. They are also treated differently. A spinal leak for example is often able to be treated with something called a blood patch.

One thing that they share is the headache that improves when you lie down. Does this happen with you?

I cant dicifer anymore if it is only laying down. I had my LP done last year and a following MRI a couple days later...of my back and brian. I asked if it could still be a leak and the ER and one nuero said " It would be closed by now or we would see the leak on the back mri"

then I had talked to another nuero and he said it could be a possibility but hes not sure
he ordered me another mri or c-spine and brain but it takes awhile to get an appointment
It sounds like a leak is something to get ruled out. One really important diagnostic part though is that your headaches usually improve  when you lie down (if the leak is higher up)

They usually do something called a CT myelogram that is done in nuclear medicine. In this procedure they inject a dye (indium) into your spinal fluid and then run a series of CT scans over your spine. neck and brain over several days to look for a leak. The dye makes it easier to see the smaller leaks. You would need to go to a larger medical facility to have this done.

So what is your plan?
Horselip