Migraines & Headaches Community
Hit the back of my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hit the back of my head

About a week ago I was sitting on my bed and got frustrated from studying for college and slammed my head backwards and hit my headboard (not that hard).  After about a day or so, it began to feel tender and would almost cause a little bit of a headache on the side where I hit it (left) and the muscle that goes up the back of the neck on the left side would begin to ache with the headache.  I have had no blurry eyes, no memory problems, just tenderness and everynow and then a little headache.  I have actually found that when I get stressed out (studying, etc) that is what triggers it.  My dad is a massage therapist and when he massages that neck muscle, it completely goes away.  I am a very anxious person, so I am probably making it worse always thinking about it.  Is this just a very tender spot of the head?  Should I be worried about anything?

With any sought of head injury with or without any loss of consciousness it is always better to get a scan done - either a CT or MRI to document that there was no haemorrhage/ fracture. You should still consult your neurologist and see if he thinks if you need a scan. Also you should try some OTC painkillers and some hot fomentation and local application of diclofenac gel at the site. Goodluck.
Most likely you have a hematoma at the back of your head due to injury. Please consult a physician. Also do not get stressed about exams, relax and you will do much better. Take up some physical activity that will keep you physically and mentally fit.