Migraines & Headaches Community
Horrid migraine during bowel movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Horrid migraine during bowel movement

I have been suffering from Migraines for the last 6 years, That only come on when i have a bowel movement.. I am unable to get any answers myself.  i dont have to be constipated for it to come on. if my stomach starts to hurt up high in the abdomen thats a big red flag for me. Because my heart starts to race uncontrollably. I know i can not push in anyway during this time even if i have to go. being a women its easier to assist myself  by manually moving the fecal out. I also have to strip out of most of my close to keep cool and try to breath deep and slow either leaning on the wall or tipping my neck back. i now keep a fan handy to i can turn it on to help keep my temperature down. I have been rushed in so many times by way of ambulance to the ER room its crazy i have lost count. it will start by me sitting there, then i feel a tingling in the base of my neck. there was 2  times that i literally felt a lump move threw the side of my next fast then bam i was on the floor in the worst pain of my life. the first thing i say to the ambulance people is give me oxygen, this seems to help if its early enough. I have though i had a stroke on the toilet. I now get very scared to even go. when its so bad i fall of the toilet and continue to have a bowel movement while lying there is more then i can take. And there is nothing i can do about it.  This is the first place i have ever seen or read others going through the same thing. also my normal resting heart rate is normally very low  and my pulse is around 48-50 but when this happens. mt blood pressure shoots up to over 180/110 the hospital er hone time said it might be due to high blood pressure and i laughed, but still went back the next day for then to take my blood pressure and of course it was 90/68 so thats not the problem. I am getting scarred thats how i am going to die, pants around ankles on the floor. I know i am not alone. I JUST NEED ANSWERS. this is going on for far to long .So if anyone can help me with a answer i would be greatful
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I understand your concern regarding your symptoms. Exertional headache may occur with both active and passive activities including cough, exercise, jogging and even bowel movement. If it recurs, you may need to have this checked by a neurologist for proper evaluation. Imaging studies may also help. While migraine may also occurs with this primary headache, medical management and avoidance of triggers are important. Take care and do keep us posted.