How safe is Elavil for a 14 year old
Hi my name is Jessica
I have had migraines for the last two years. I am olny 14 and my doctor precribed me Elavil 25 mg every night before I go to bed and Maxalt 10 mg when that dosen't work. I was wondering if Elavil is safe for a child my age (14). Or if there is something safer for me. I have noticed feeling sleeper lately. Thats definately not normal for me I use to have alot of energy and stuff, now I just like to lay around and I never feel like I have done anything when I do that. So if there is something else out there that won't make me feel this way please tell me.

Thank you,
Jessica
I'm sure if the dr. prescribed it for you then it's safe. I was on it, too and I definitely felt sleepier. Even that small amount made me sleep a lot better at night but I felt the affects the next day as well. I only took it for 4 months because it really wasn't working. But I also know that after I got used to it, I did not feel as sleepy. Your body will adjust some to that. Hopefully someone will come on who can tell you if there is another drug you can take. I'm sorry you have migraines. You remind me of me at that age. That's about when mine started.

Thanks for writing in.
Elavil or Amitriptyline is known to cause suicidal tendencies in teenagers and children. It is very important that you are monitored very closely by your prescribing doctor. Make sure to notify your doctor immediately if you experience any change in behavior.
http://www.rxlist.com/elavil-drug.htm
There are other options for migraine like Imitrex which works well in children. It is also important that you keep a headache diary and try to identify a trigger for your migraines.
Avoid caffeine, MSG, preserved and processed meats and cheese.
Take care!