Migraines & Headaches Community
Huge Headache only on the Right side Of my Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hi, i had my baby 3 months ago and i got on the depo shot as my birth control, but didn't work out for me because it made me bleed for 2 months and half almost 3. So i went to my OBGYN an he put me on the patch and said it should take the bleeding away and it did, so now i'm on 2 birth controls pretty much and now the right side of my head keeps hurting real bad. This pain has been going on for almost 5 day straight and i'm in the worst mood. I want to know if it could be because my hormones are going crazy or because of the birth controls? please help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Birth control methods contain estrogen and they affect the estrogen levels which can aggravate the symptoms of migraines. Nutritional deficiencies, lack of sleep, stress all can trigger an attack of migraine. Birth control methods may cause a rise in blood pressure leading to severe headaches. In migraine there is also nausea, vomting and increased sensitivity to light and sound. Cluster headaches and tension headaches are few other possibilities. Discuss with your doctor about gradually withdrawing one of the birth controls. May be that helps. If the symptoms are severe you may need evaluation in the form of CT scan brain to rule out any structural abnormalities in the brain.
Take care and regards!