Migraines & Headaches Community
I found the best thing for Migraine!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I found the best thing for Migraine!!

I have been suffering since I was 18 with horrible migraines w/aura.  I have had to go to the ER for iv enough times too. YUCK.  A few years ago my nurse practitioner recommended Magnesium for me.  I used to suffer with headaches 3 times a week.  I take a 250mg tablet in the morning and a 250mg tablet at night.  You can get a bottle at Walmart.  It is awsome.  I have migraines very seldom now. They are usually if my hormones get out of wack and I have only had three headaches in the past year!  Give it a few weeks to really kick in and work.  I just thought I would share to help others!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.

I must congratulate you for two things. First, for successfully fighting off this migraine headache. Second, for sharing this experience here. As a doctor, I might know the use of magnesium in migraine. But this information is not available to many. And you have done a good job by spreading the awareness.

All the best for you future endeavours.

Thanks for sharing! It is indeed a useful piece of information specially for patients whose migraines are not responding to current therapy.
Glad I could help, Migraine sucks and I want to help others as much as I can so they do not have to suffer too!
Thanks for sharing!! I was just thinking about asking my doc about adding magnesuim.  Now I am definetely going to.  THANK YOU
Dar
Don't be surprised if your doc discourages you from using natural suppliments.  I have had that all the time from doctors.  Natural stuff helps me alot more that tons of prescriptions.  I am one some meds that I can not live without, but I try to use as much natural stuff as possible.  Good luck!
Agree with the natural supplements.  My daughter is taking B2 and Magnesium supplements on the advice of her doctor.  Seems to really be helping fend off the mirgraines.  :)
Rock on.  I take Vit B complex too, for another purpose.  I did not know that helped Migraine also, yipee!  I started CoQ10 also for metabolism and on side advantage is it helps ward of migraines too.  I hope this combo continues to kick them for me!  Glad to hear it helps your daughter!  
Glad to hear the magnesium is helping.  The magnesium actually strengthens blood vessels which if you have Migraines, you don't have the best vessels in the world.  Also, the B complex is great.  It replaces so much of what you lose from stress.  I have been bad about taking it but it is very, very good for stress management.  Don't freak out though because it will turn your urine very yellow. So for the "too much info".  For the patient who is only taking B2, the complex is really good if the doctor allows it.
I think it's wonderful that Magnesium is of use to you.  I tried taking it and had a terrible problem with my IBS.  (Irrital Bower Syndrome)  I changed the dosage, staggered it;  it just didn't work for me.

I know it's quite the relief to find something that work's for you; Migraine is such a *****!!
are you taking magnesium oxide?  b/c that's the poorest absorber of magnesium and causes IBS.

take magnesium gluconate or citrate - magnesium is absorbed at a higher rate and doesn't irritate the IBS.

i have proctitis and magnesium oxide aggravated it badly.

i then switched to magnesium gluconate and no problems whatsoever.
Magnesium worked for me, but strangely had an immediate effect but it wore off after a week.  I changed magnesium type and again had the same immediate effect that wore off a week later.  Best of luck ... the types I used were citrate, taurate, and glycinate.  Oxide did nothing for me.