Migraines & Headaches Community
I have apseudo tumor cerebri and pituitary tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Is it common for someone to have a pseudo tumor cerebri along with a pituitary tumor?  I have both of these and was wondering if there is anyone else out there like me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Having a pseudotumor cerebri with a pituitary tumor is rare. There is one  case at pubmed that have pseudotumor and pituitary adenoma that may interest you: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20831031
Take care and best regards.
Hi...we do have members here on MedHelp with Pseudotumor cerebri and a pituitary issue along with chiari...u may want to pop on the chiari forum....

The newer term being used is IIH or Inter-cranial hypertension....Pseudotumor cerebri is being used less...so u r aware that these r the same condition.

I hope u stop by the chiari forum-http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

"selma"
How do I know if I need a spinal tap if my pain might be from the pituitary tumor?
Hi, I am not a dr, but I would think the LP would show the pressure is not from the PTC and that would leave the pituitary tumor as the possible cause....

I am sure the dr will let u know.

"selma"
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?Lumbar puncture or spinal tap is performed to measure pressures within the cerebrospinal fluid and to collect cerebral spinal fluid for testing. This can be a diagnostic test for many neurologic disorders, particularly infections and brain or spinal cord damage. While this may be  done to diagnose pseudotumor cerebri,  to determine how high the pressure is inside the skull, this test is rarely needed to help diagnose a pituitary tumor. Diagnosis of pituitary tumor includes neurological examination, CT scan or MRI,  visual field examination and biopsy. I hope this helps. Take care.
I only had one spinal tap so far that confirmed the pseudo tumor diagnosis. The pressured was measred at 320. I had an mri and a catscan done and they discovered the pituitary tumor there. I guess my question is that I don't know when I need another spinal tap done cause the symptoms of the pituitary tumor are very similar to the pseudo tumor. I hate going to the hospial and spending like 10 hours for them to just put me on morphine and not give me a spinal tap. Its just so frustrating. I told them to give me one and they said I didn't need one. But how would they know unless they did one. And if they did it might be unnecessary right if the headaches are from the pituitary tumor.