Intense neck pain and migraines
Hi guys,
I've been having headaches since about 2001 to 2003 where I started getting migraines which consisted of neck pain, pain in my temples, pain in my eyes, sensitivity to light, vomiting, nausea, feeling weak and faint etc since. I usually started off by getting neck pain and then persisting into a migraine, and its only been over the past few monts where I've been getting intense neck pain and pain at the base of my skull, always to one side, which has lead to just a sore head, nausea, and feeling a bit faint. I went to the doctors and she told me there was no medication for migraines, which I know is not true, and she told me there was nothing I could do but just get massages. The other doctors at the same clinic also said the same thing. It's worrying me because it is effecting my everyday life and health. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions? Thanks!
hi katie,your neck pains and headache can be due to migraine,cervical spondolylosis or hypertension.Before tretament is started a proper diagnosis is must.An consultation with neurology doctor will help you.Hypertension or increasse blood pressure can easily be ruled out and so goes for cervical spondylosis(X ray neck).Well, in case it is migraine,we do have drugs (sumatriptan etc) for treatment of migraine but it cant be cured.
he is right that it cant yet be cured but their is also Topomax ; Maxalt ; and Imitrex which are made to help head off or relive migraines and their are other drugs used for other things which also work for some migraines. I have simular symptoms and suffer from the worse kind of chronic and cluster migraines you can get but don't worry your symptoms are only a few of the daily ones I have chances are at most you have chronic migraines if that even. See a specialist and if it is chronic migraines ask to be referred to a pain management specialist hopefully unlike me you have insurance and can get the expensive drugs. I have lost my insurance and am considered un-insurable so I no longer can afford the three drugs I mentioned. By the way don't let doctors dismiss you as just migraines be active in your treatment ask questions and don't be afraid to say that something isn't working every one is different and check out the drugs you are given many have rebound headaches as side affects
hey hon!! i know exactly how you feel. i was diagnosed with migraines years ago. they symptoms you experience, are exactly how i was feeling too. my migraines have subsided tremendously since i got pregnant (i am currently 5 months pregnant) ive been on A Lot of prescriptions and none of them really helped me at all. i went to physio for 8 months, went to a chiropractor, AND got massages.... and still nothing was working, it was almost as if they were getting worse. i would get 3-4 migraines a week. the neck pain i experienced was horrible. i would slur when i talked, and my left side would go numb. it was really scary. my ct scans and mri's all came back good. i had an xray done... and it showed that i have xtra fluid in my sinuses. i have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis. ive found that since taking a nasal spray everyday... and being on other sinus medication... a lot of my pain has gone away. it may be worth checking into. also, have you tried acupuncture?? ive heard that it really works. if my migraines come back after i have my baby... im gonna try acupuncture. let me know how things go... im here if you need to talk!!
hi katie,i too suffer with migraines with neck pain,my neck becomes very creaky and clicky and the only thing that helps me with this is deep freeze gel which is applied directly to the neck.i too have been to my gp and told nothing can be done and that i am suffering from hormonal migraines.a week from every month is taken up with thease so as you can imagine my life is controled by migraines.i am somewhat releived to read your post as i thought the neck pain wasnt usually associated with migraine.so to know i am not the only sufferer is of great comfort.i hope you find something that will help you x
The intense pain at the base of the skull sounds to me like basilar migraines....
Hi.., it's good to know that i am not the only one experiencing this crazy neck pain with migraines. I can ALWAYS tell, besides the aura that is, when i will have a migraine. The pain is sometimes worst than the actual migraine. My hon and i have explained this to every doctor ive been to and they all say that they dont associate the neck pain with migraines.., it made me feel like i was going crazy, having this terrible neck pain that nobody can diagnose or even explain and worst off cant treat. Since then i have found one doctor who attempts to help manage the pain, with a drug called Arcoxia 90mg, and it does work also he gives me a muscle relaxant.., but those he only prescribe for 2-4 days because they are extremely strong. Again thanks for confirming that i am not the only person in the world experiencing this.
How are you? What tests were done in the past? The neck pain could be caused by vascular, musculoskeletal as well as neurological issues as well that may  trigger migraine attacks. Muscle relaxants and pain medications may help. Warm compress and even physical therapy may also be indicated. To identify other possible migraine triggers, a headache journal may help. Take care and do keep us posted.