Migraines & Headaches Community
Is it all in my head?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Is it all in my head?

I have been suffering with migraines for 4 years now, they come and go with sometimes months inbetween. I have been seeing a nero doctor as everytime they come again I get really strange symptoms. For the last year I have really bad pains all down my legs and get weakness to the point that I cannot walk for 15 mins without wanting to rest. I have had an mri scan and the only thing that came up was white spots, I was told that sometimes people just have these. My GP mentioned it could have been ms about a year ago but I have since been told that it is not this. I have been to hospital a couple of times and each time I go they make me feel like it is all in my head. The past month has been really bad, I havent had a migraine in a while but I get the pain in my legs, saw jaw and weakness all the time. My doctor sent me to my nero doctor again and i turned up today with hope that finally I can get some help. I walked out feeling like I didnt want to be here anymore as he made me feel like I was making it up and kept asking me what I thought it was. I told him that the only thing I have vever been told is ms and migraine which I thought was none of them. He said he thinks its still migraine symptoms but when I was telling him what was happening he was cold towards me and I couldnt wait to get out. My boyfriend was with me and he also said that the dooctors seem to think that I am making it up. The nero doctor said that he is going to admit me into hospital so he can rule out all other things but he said that it will proberly come to a dead end. I have decided that I am going to tell them I am not going in as I think its going to be a total waste of time and I am frightened that they are going to be horrible to me again. Im sitting here now wondering is it all in my head?? I really cannot carry on like this anymore and feel like this is my last option but to ask if anybody out there can help me, I have lost all faith. I am 24 and I am not going to live the rest of my life being like this please help!

The presence of white spots in the brain does not necessarily mean MS. It is the characteristic distribution of white spots along with neurological symptoms and results of lumbar puncture that are required to make a definite diagnosis of MS.
Your symptoms of pain in the legs and weakness can be due to many reasons apart from MS like neuropathy, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. This needs a careful evaluation because as of now these symptoms do not seem to be related to migraine. I would suggest you to seek a second opinion with another neurologist if possible.

I SUFFER FROM MIGRAINES TOO  BUT IT WAS WEIRD FOR LIKE 2 YEARS I DIDNT GET ANY LIKE FROM THE SUN STRESS THUINGS LIKE THAT BUT I WAS GETTING TINGLING VERTIO AND WEAKNESS THINGS LIKE THAT DIDA MRI OF THE BRAIN FOUND WHITE SPOTS SAID IT WAS MS THAT WAS AUG 11th THIS YEAR .
i wrote saying i have white spots in my brain but i do have 2 in my spine is that why the doc said i have ms im on avonex she did blood work too about vitimins lose  i have lose of balance
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Diagnosis of MS is complex and the diagnostic criteria is usually based on both clinical and lab findings. Most of the patients with  MS subsequently developed the MRI abnormalities. However, follow up MRI studies are usually advised. Talk to your doctor about this for proper management.  There is also a MS forum here in Medhelp that could help. Take care and best regards.
i go on the ms forum people are nice there was a lady that just wrote back and said she had mri brain and spine spots in the brain not in the spine said no ms can that be right spots in the spine be ms or maybe a disc promble pinched nerve  she didnt stat any thing for ms . love april
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi April,
Thank you for your update. There are many possibilities for spots in the spine. It would be very helpful if you discuss the results with your doctor so that correlation to your symptoms will also be made. A second opinion regarding your diagnosis of MRI will also ease any anxiety. Take care always.
thanks so much but she did say ms so i have to deal with it can she be wrong i can get a second doctor and that will be ok with me i just have to deal with it i have ms. love april