Migraines & Headaches Community
LCDs and Plasma TV give me headaches, mrigraines and some epilepsy sin...

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

LCDs and Plasma TV give me headaches, mrigraines and some epilepsy sintoms

I'm not able to stand looking to a LCD or Plasma TV for more than a few seconds without having migraines. If I stand for a few minutes then I have migraines, begin to feel weaker, to have some heart pain, difficulty to sleep, and sometimes my fingers begin to shudder randomly. Moreover, I begin to have difficulties in rationalize correctly, or even to do simple math or logic operations.

I have headaches with CRT monitors operating at frequencies below 100 Hz. I can feel the flickering bellow 100 Hz.  I don’t like environments with compact fluorescent lamp (CFL), they also give me headaches. Recently I realise that unlike what is commonly believed, LCDs and Plasma TVs do flicker at 50/60 Hz. The main difference with CRT is that the refresh is quicker (although less times per second 50-60 Hz), and not progressive as with CRT monitors.

I did some tests, EEG, ECG,… , everything was normal. My ophtalmologist said that there is nothing wrong with my vision; it is perhaps some kind of subclinical epilepsy without seizures.
I realize, by searching on the Internet,  that there is much more people having problems with LCDs and Plasma TVs.

May this, indeed be some sort of subclinical epilepsy?  If so, is it treatable?

Regards,
Portugal.
I have migraines all the times. Everyday in fact but I think a big part of what I have is rebound headaches. However, I can tell when they come and when they end. Every since I bought my plasma its been one long headache for a week straight. Started the day after I bought it. However I had an LCD before this and it never gave me issues.  The other things you spoke about I've never had but the CRT monitors also bothered me.

They do have new 120hz and someones coming out with a 240hz LCD next month so that should solve your flickering issues.

The possibility of subclinical epilepsy cannot be ruled out in your case. It is also important to know if the subclinical epilepsy showed up on EEG.
Subclinical epilepsy is easily treatable with medications like Topamax.

Hope this helps!
I have a 10 year old son who is very light sensitive to flourescent lights and white paper and just recently was diagnosed with Irlens Syndrome and now wears tinted glasses which helps prevent the daily headaches he was getting in school when he was doing his school work.  However, he still gets daily headaches at home if I allow him to look at our computer or television for even 5 or 10 minutes?  Also, if he is in a moving car or boat for 20 to 30 minutes he also gets a really bad headache, so I am thinking he is very sensitive to motion or moving objects somehow?  Is this vestibular thing with him and if so, how do I help him or is it even treatable?  

I have been to so many doctors, allergists, tests, labs, eye exams, etc...  and to no avail.  He has 20/20 vision.  We have tried vision therapy and that has not worked.  I did not realize his Irlens was a visual perceptual problem and that most eye doctors are not even familiar with this disorder?  It is so frustrating that I had to research this myself.  Please advise me with your thoughts?  I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you!

A concerned parent
This site should explain what in the displays is causing the symptoms: http://vasyafromukraine.webs.com/