MIGRAINES & HEADACHES
COMMUNITY
Lingering Headache
by kk2008, Jan 08, 2008
I have been dealing with a headache for the past 3 weeks and don't know what the next step should be. I have had headaches since I was a teenager (I am 26). About 3 weeks ago, I got a severe headache that started after sitting in a recliner, which tends to trigger a headache for me. The severe headache was gone the next day, but the entire following week I had what I would call a lingering headache that didn't really hurt, but just kind of hung around. At the end of the first week, I was rear-ended in an accident and so I say my doctor the next day. She examined my head and said that all she felt was a small tender lump where my head had hit the head rest. She performed a neurological exam and said my reflexes were fine and suggested I try ibroprofen for the pain. When I asked her about the headache I had the week before, she said that the intial headache might have been a migraine and that the pain caused a lingering tension headache. After the appointment, the headache still lingered on an one week after seeing her, I experience another headache that I felt was a migraine as it was throbbing, one sided pain with sensitivity to light and sound. Again, it was gone the next day but the lingering headache remained. I made an appointment and she diagnosed me with migraines and gave me Relpax to try after checking me out and performing another neurological exam. Although the migraine is gone, I still have this strange lingering headache that seems to come and go. Sometimes I forget it is there and sometimes it feels like a sinus problem as my eyebrows and cheeks feel sore and the pain in sometimes behind my eyes and in my temples and is shooting in nature.

I feel it is important to note that I have suffered with anxiety issues for the past year and have been on and off Zoloft. I tend to focus on any symptom and assume it is something serious. I don;t know if I should see the doctor again or what my next step should be. I have tried treating the headaches with ibroprofen, sinus medication, Claritan and have wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that I am pretty sure I grind my teeth in my sleep. My job is stressful and it has left me wondering if these medical problems are made worse by the worry that something is wrong with my health almost all the time.

Any suggestion you have would be great.
Member Comments (1)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, Jan 09, 2008

You sound very perplexed.

The neurological exam performed by your physician came out fine. There was no focus of concern.I understand that you are very anxious about a more serious underlying condition  causing your headaches.But there seems to be no cause of urgency here.

I suggest you discuss with your physician the advantages of  abortive migraine therapy. Bruxism or teeth grinding may cause headaches when it becomes violent and affects the jaw.You may have a complete assessment by an ENT specialist just to clear the ears,nose and throat.

Talk to someone regarding any issues and problems.Relax and have fun!

Keep in touch.