Migraines & Headaches Community
Longterm Interferon affects on unborn child

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

My first husband was taking interferon treatments for malignant metastasized melanoma when I became pregnant with our child. Our son was born happy and healthy and perfect. Fast forward 9 years later and my son is relatively healthy and happy with the exception of crippling migraines he's suffered from since about the age of 2. My question is could the fact that my husband was taking the interferon when I became pregnant have anything to do with my son's migraines. I've asked Doctors and specialist and no one seems to know or have an answer.  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your son? Primary headaches such as migraine headaches may be triggered by a variety of factors including food, weather, and many others. While some medications may also be responsible, it is unlikely that the exposure during pregnancy is the direct cause. Also, additional research may need to be done to show the direct relationship of interferon and the headaches. If it persists, it is best that further evaluation be done including imaging studies for proper diagnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.