Low Lying Cerebellar tonsils
My 13yr suffers from migranes. He had a MRI done recently and it shows he has a low lying cerebellar tonsils and the structures at the foramen magnum are " congested". Is this something he might outgrow? Is there anything that can be done to prevent these migranes? Thanks
How is your son? Low lying cerebellar tonsils can lead to tonsillar herniation which may cause compression of the lower brainstem and upper spinal cord as they pass through the foramen magnum. The currently accepted radiographic definition for a tonsillar herniation or Chiari malformation are cerebellar tonsils that lay at least 5mm below the level of the foramen magnum. It is best that you talk to his doctor about this for further evaluation. Preventive measures to reduce intracranial pressure should also be discussed. With regards to his migraine, what medication is he taking? It is important that the triggers should be determined and a neurological examination be done. If prescription medications are not working, complementary and alternative medicine such as biofeedback therapy or self-hypnosis may help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi...Low lying  cerebellar tonsils is also described as chiari malformation.....did u get an idea how low there r below the foreman maganum?...generally 5mm or larger it is considered chiari I.....less than 5 mm is chiari 0 and many drs do not recognize it at all.

I am afraid he will not outgrow this and there r activities he should avoid.

Please join us here in the chiari forum for more info and support.

Communtity Leader - Chiari