Migraines & Headaches Community
Lump on back of head with headaches and dizziness/nausea

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have a hard lump on the back of my head, right above the hairline on my left side. It has been there for 2+ months and is bigger than before. I've had issues with headaches and other issues with dizziness/nausea. The other day, I felt like I was going to pass out, almost like low blood pressure? My level of tiredness has increased rapidly. I'm always tired. It is starting to affect my work and school. I have an appointment with my General Practitioner, but I would like some advice as to A) what this might be and B) anything I should ask her during my appointment, if I need to. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for the update. A muscle spasm is an involuntary contraction of a muscle which can occur suddenly, usually resolve quickly, and are often painful. This can be associated with tension headaches and can be confirmed by palpating tenderness in the neck or occipital muscles. Also, tension headaches are often associated with migraine headaches, with no evidence of a vascular etiology. Prescription medications may be indicated for such conditions. Talk to your doctor also about this to ease any anxiety. Take care and regards.
I would definetely request an MRI.  This is also in the area of your adrenal glands. It could just be a begnin mass. Good Luck and let me know how it turns out.
Thank you, Stacy. My appointment is a few weeks away, unfortunately. Just concerned about what this is and what I should ask her. We had some issues in my family with my aunt not being diagnosed correctly with her cancer and she died because of it. I just want to rule out the bad stuff. Do you think it would be out of line to request a CBC as well? I understand it might be considered out of the norm, just afraid because of this personal experience.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your aunt. As mentioned on your other post, further evaluation including complete physical examination and diagnostic tests are important. Depending on the results of the initial assessment of your doctor, additional tests such as imaging studies and blood tests ( complete blood count or CBC included) can be done. These tests will definitely help rule out the bad stuff or organic causes. Take care always.
Thank you for your advice. My appointment is on the 11th and I will keep you guys posted. Thanks, again.
Hi again,

I had my appointment today. She said that the lump was most likely caused by a muscle spasm from a migraine. I've never heard of this before. Can you give me more insight?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

She prescribed Imitrex to help with the migraines. It seems to be working and the bump is almost completely gone. Thank you for all of your wonderful advice. I appreciate it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Good to know that the bump is almost gone and the medication prescribed helped with your migraines. It is important that you also identify the possible triggers of your headache. The headache tracker in this forum may help, and you can avoid the possible recurrences of migraine attacks. Take care and do keep us posted.