Migraines & Headaches Community
MRI caused intense pain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MRI caused intense pain

Today my gf had 4 MRI's done.  She had a migraine today when she had the MRI's done.  She said that when the machine was running she experienced intense pain in the same spot in her brain each scan.  She said that it was the most intense pain she's ever experienced and that it almost brought her to tears.  She's not one to complain, as she has dealt with migraines for years, so it's got me really worried.  I ran a few searches on google and didn't come up with anything saying that MRI's might cause head pain.

She didn't mention it to the technicians because she figured they wouldn't know why.  She has an appt. with her neurologist in a week and will discuss it then.  She takes Topomax (topamax) daily, and Imitrex pills or injections as needed.  I read some posts on here tonight that magnesium supplements can help with migraines and I will talk with her about that tomorrow.

Do MRI's cause pain in the brain sometimes?  Is it bad that she had such intense pain while the MRI was being done?  She just took an injection and is going to bed.  I just hope she wakes up tomorrow without a migraine, I feel so bad for her!

Thanks,

Paul