MRI caused intense pain
Today my gf had 4 MRI's done.  She had a migraine today when she had the MRI's done.  She said that when the machine was running she experienced intense pain in the same spot in her brain each scan.  She said that it was the most intense pain she's ever experienced and that it almost brought her to tears.  She's not one to complain, as she has dealt with migraines for years, so it's got me really worried.  I ran a few searches on google and didn't come up with anything saying that MRI's might cause head pain.

She didn't mention it to the technicians because she figured they wouldn't know why.  She has an appt. with her neurologist in a week and will discuss it then.  She takes Topomax daily, and Imitrex pills or injections as needed.  I read some posts on here tonight that magnesium supplements can help with migraines and I will talk with her about that tomorrow.

Do MRI's cause pain in the brain sometimes?  Is it bad that she had such intense pain while the MRI was being done?  She just took an injection and is going to bed.  I just hope she wakes up tomorrow without a migraine, I feel so bad for her!

Thanks,

Paul

Your girlfriend may have had her migraines triggered while undergoing MRI. With a previous history of a migraine I do not think this is something  of deep concern.The MRI scans will be able to show if any intracranial involvement is present.

I feel it is best to wait for the results of the MRI.If this is true migraine headaches,the MRI scans may show normal results or some subcortical white matter lesions that have been noted among migraineurs.