Magnesium for migraine treatment
I have had migraines for at least the past 10 years, as often as every other day.  I was put on 100 mg of Topamax daily in September 2008, which helped immensely.  I would still get migraines approximately twice a month, however. My migraines are triggered by bright sunlight (I live in Arizona!), orange juice, citrus, chocolate, processed foods, alcohol, some smells, pms, etc.

Recently I found alot of information online talking about Dr's using magnesium to treat migraines and decided to take it. I began taking Potassium Magnesium Asparate daily, in the amount of 600mg Magnesium/198mg Potassum.  After 2 weeks on this, I quit taking my Topamax, to see if the Magnesium would work.  Thus far, I have not had a single migraine!  

I definitely recommend that people research this for themselves, and give it a try!
Hello, I have been getting migraines with aura every two weeks for a year. I took nothing but liquid gel Aleve. It was really aggravating. A few months ago I decided to try Magnesium glycinate 200 mg twice a day. I was told this was the best form of magnesium. I started to keep a log. I had one headache after 4 weeks, 3 weeks and now it's been 4 weeks. Also, the headache has been of less intensity. So I am all for  this. I plan to tweak the dosage to see if more will be better. I am using High Absorption Doctor's Best Mag. Glycinate.
You are absolutely right . There is a definite link between magnesium deficiency and migraines . Magnesium supplements and foods rich in magnesium do help in controlling migraine to a great extent . Take care and regards !

No migraines for over 2 months now...getting better all the time.
I will try the Magnesium also,  I've been taking a Vitamin B Complex (liquid) and have had no migraines for 2 months - you might try that also.
over 3 months now and not one headache....
I too have had migraines most of my life, (I'm 52 female).  I had a mild stroke from a migraine, 2 yrs ago yesterday in fact.  I do take some migraine preventative meds.... Verelan PM, 300mg and Topamax, 75, but also Magnesium Oxide, I did have low levels of Magnesium, and was put on 800 mg. daily.  My magnesium levels are now within in range and now take 400 mg. daily, still along with my other meds.  I also take a 81 mg. aspirin daily too.  The stroke was caused from a constriction in the blood vessel and it shut off briefly long enough to do the same harm as if it were a clot, although I have no clotting issues.  I have only told however of  Magnesium Oxide as a med. not any other type of Magnesium, my neurologist put me on that and I have been seeing an endocrinologist because some of my electrolytes have also been an issue, and she said the same.  At the time of the stroke my potassium level was 2.9.  Which is is very low, I have since been on prescription strength potassium and it is 25 meq effervescent tablet. 2 of those twice daily.  That seems to be correcting itself and I'm not on as much recently.  Yes, Magnesium Oxide does help with headaches and migraines, I do not know if you can get it OTC, I know the strength I take you cannot.  Hope this helps.
Hello, just checking in. It's been four months now with no migraine/aura. I am now using KAL magnesium glycinate from the Vitamin Shoppe.
I too, have suffered with migraines for many years... and i recently started on a regimen of 800 mg of magnesium powder that is mixed with water. It taste yucky, but i have been told that the body would absorb the powder mix better than the pill form.
no news on the affectiveness as of yet, will keep everyone posted on my results..
Hello, just checking in. It's been 1 year and 8 months now with no migraine/aura. I am now using KAL magnesium glycinate daily (200mg x 3) from the Vitamin Shoppe.
OH my gosh, wow, thank you for updating your progress.
I am desperate for help w/these migraines. I get them now about 4x/wk! I have no life. I can't take triptans or other preventable migraine meds due to severe intolerances/allergic reactions.
Nothing is helping.  I HAVE been taking magnesium supplements, oxide and citrite mix, between 250-500 daily for like a yr or so, but this does not help. I will try the magnesium you have been taking.
Hi just checking in.....5 years and no migraines!  Still on 200 mg twice a day KAL brand magnesium glycinate.
I hope you have found a way to get rid of those migraines.
Just checking in. I had one aura without migraine pain in September 2014 and was quite surprised. It has been a year and a half since that odd one.and no migraines. Still talking KAL magnesium glycinate 200mg twice a day, 400 total. So in 7 years just one migraine!
Good luck everyone.